Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I got a 99 cbr 900 that was spotless before today and got in an accident. I was wondering if I should claim it? My main concern is the rates going up too much and it not be worth it for this year bike. I don't even know if they can get plastics for it. I ride aggressively and was taking a pretty tight corner too fast, hit a spot with loose dirt/rocks (where they were doing construction) , and lowsided. The construction area didn't come into view till it was too late. It was my fault . I know I should've been going slower :) I rode the bike home. Got a wrist sprain out of it and a few scratches . I always ride protected no matter how hot it is. I have been down before in '98. I have posted some pics. It looks worse up close. Not sure how the totalling works on claims? I don't know what to do. I paid 37 for the bike a couple years ago and now kelly and nada are only showing about 3k. I went to get my wrist checked out tonight and told them I would pay for the bill myself cause I wasnt sure if I was going to claim the accident. It happened around 8pm tonight. I haven't called the insurance comp. (progressive). I did get a police report. Wanted to get some input/suggestions before I do anything. . Thanks
before:

after:

the last one is worse than it looks in the picture

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Your pics aren't showing up here.

All depends on your situation. Are you going to keep the bike? What are your deductibles? Do you have a car as well that you need to protect your rates on? Are you sure your wrist is ok? You can go to bikebandit.com and check the fiche for part prices.

I don't think you're going to get $3K for a 14 year old bike.

KeS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably sell it eventually. $250 ded. Car is with a different company. Yes , wrist is ok. They gave me a brace . Why do u ask? Thanks for replying

Your pics aren't showing up here.

All depends on your situation. Are you going to keep the bike? What are your deductibles? Do you have a car as well that you need to protect your rates on? Are you sure your wrist is ok? You can go to bikebandit.com and check the fiche for part prices.

I don't think you're going to get $3K for a 14 year old bike.

KeS

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I'll probably sell it eventually. $250 ded. Car is with a different company. Yes , wrist is ok. They gave me a brace . Why do u ask? Thanks for replying
I asked because if you have a cracked wrist that requires surgery next week, it may change your decision.

In CA and probably most states these days, that accident is going down as a collision with you at fault, and it will affect both your car and bike rates for a number of years. Since you already filed a police report, claiming it may not make much difference at this point. You should get good state-specific info from someone here to verify, or check online what the situation is. If you're committed to being penalized anyway, you might as well file the claim.

KeS

·
Registered
971 Posts
I wouldn't bother claiming it. Your rates are likely to go up significantly, and the bike is probably fixable if it's just a lowside with bodywork damage and things like peg, mirror, bar end.

Check out eBay and price some used parts.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Why do you report a health medical claim to the bike insurance carrier?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Your pictures aren't showing up, but if you can fix it yourself for a reasonable price, I'd skip on reporting to your insurance agency, with the bike being as old as it is. When I wrecked last year I never told my insurance company. I had never been in an accident and my last speeding ticket was 8 years prior. The damage wasn't too bad, and I didn't want to screw up my great insurance record (and rates).

Why do you report a health medical claim to the bike insurance carrier?
I'm not sure about all states, but in PA, medical coverage (of $5000) is a state-required minimum coverage on auto (or motorcycle) insurance policies. In the event of an auto/motorcycle accident, auto/motorcycle insurance must cover the first [insert amount of medical coverage on auto policy] before health insurance will start paying.

OP: Are you riding without health insurance? That's damn risky, even if you do have medical coverage on your motorcycle policy. I wouldn't swing a leg over a bike without health insurance. One wreck could mean financial ruin.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
They'll get their money back if you claim it.
I tossed my 09 ZX6R down the race track a few years ago and the damage was much worse than yours.
I still chose not to claim it. I was planning to get a larger displacement bike, and keep riding. Adding that to my record would've been murder to my rates.

As it would turn out, the damage was mostly cosmetic, and this year I'm finally getting it all patched back up. Will have cost me less than $1000 to make it look new again.

If I had wadded it up and it was useless, I would have made the claim

Look into the chinese fairing route, look up reviews and see whats said about their fitment for your model.
I seem to see a lot of reviews about late 90 early 00's chinese fairings, and seem to all be positive

ABS Bodywork for 98 99 CBR900RR Fairings CBR919 CBR 1998 1999 HRC D | eBay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks unconnected. I did look around for fairings before from the chinese. I never saw these. They would work well. I know some dont fit perfectly and I can make minor alterations.

They'll get their money back if you claim it.
I tossed my 09 ZX6R down the race track a few years ago and the damage was much worse than yours.
I still chose not to claim it. I was planning to get a larger displacement bike, and keep riding. Adding that to my record would've been murder to my rates.

As it would turn out, the damage was mostly cosmetic, and this year I'm finally getting it all patched back up. Will have cost me less than $1000 to make it look new again.

If I had wadded it up and it was useless, I would have made the claim

Look into the chinese fairing route, look up reviews and see whats said about their fitment for your model.
I seem to see a lot of reviews about late 90 early 00's chinese fairings, and seem to all be positive

ABS Bodywork for 98 99 CBR900RR Fairings CBR919 CBR 1998 1999 HRC D | eBay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have medical ins. through work for the person asking. My wrist feels better today. I was expecting it to be worse. Only thing I'm worried about is the police report being filed. I read today that they (ins. comp.) will find out about it if a report is filed and rates will go up anyway just like Kevin said above. That would be total @!#$%% B.S. to do that to someone if they don't file a claim! If my rates are going to go up , then I want some cash out of the deal. I also read to call and talk to the ins. company and see what they say even if you dont file a claim. So , now I'm stuck on what to do?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I do have medical ins. through work for the person asking. My wrist feels better today. I was expecting it to be worse. Only thing I'm worried about is the police report being filed. I read today that they (ins. comp.) will find out about it if a report is filed and rates will go up anyway just like Kevin said above. That would be total @!#$%% B.S. to do that to someone if they don't file a claim! If my rates are going to go up , then I want some cash out of the deal. I also read to call and talk to the ins. company and see what they say even if you dont file a claim. So , now I'm stuck on what to do?
If you don't want to talk to your own insurance company, you can call another and ask, as a potential new customer, whether they get those reports and what the effect would be. Lots of variance from state to state on this stuff.

KeS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I have been looking around and found a few sites that say the ins. comp. will not find out unless a claim is filed or a ticket is issued. One said the police do not report it. So, i think I'm going to just fix it and not report it. I listed a couple here:

When To Report a Car Accident, When Not To and The Consequences
Car accident-police report filed- will insurance company find out? - Yahoo! Answers
Do insurance companies find out about accidents with a police report if you dont file a claim

By the way, I'm receiving a new rear rubber from chapparal today. I think that was a contributing factor to the accident. Yes, It was warmed up. I always make sure of that before doing any aggressive driving.

If you don't want to talk to your own insurance company, you can call another and ask, as a potential new customer, whether they get those reports and what the effect would be. Lots of variance from state to state on this stuff.

KeS

·
Registered
495 Posts
It depends.

Claim that and you'll likely have your bike totalled.

You need to keep in mind. The "Budget to Fix" for an insurance decision is:

(Value of Bike) - (Value as Salvage).

If you have a $10,000 vehicle, and it's worth $4,000 as salvage, the insurance company will fix it so long as repairs are at or under $6,000.

Costly motorcycle parts, where nothing is "repaired", everything is "remove/replace", tilt the table towards total-loss in even the most minor accidents.

I just checked BikeBandit. It looks like OEM parts are available. (surprised.) Here's some costs:

Lower Cowl Set: $406.
Upper Cowl: $365.
Alternator Cover: $73.

Figure other Misc Parts for the plastics: $150.

I estimate that for something around $1,000 you could have it back to showroom spiffy. Not the most money in the world, and I'd sure steer clear of any insurance claim for that.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It depends.

Claim that and you'll likely have your bike totalled.

You need to keep in mind. The "Budget to Fix" for an insurance decision is:

(Value of Bike) - (Value as Salvage).

If you have a $10,000 vehicle, and it's worth $4,000 as salvage, the insurance company will fix it so long as repairs are at or under $6,000.

Costly motorcycle parts, where nothing is "repaired", everything is "remove/replace", tilt the table towards total-loss in even the most minor accidents.

I just checked BikeBandit. It looks like OEM parts are available. (surprised.) Here's some costs:

Lower Cowl Set: $406.
Upper Cowl: $365.
Alternator Cover: $73.

Figure other Misc Parts for the plastics: $150.

I estimate that for something around $1,000 you could have it back to showroom spiffy. Not the most money in the world, and I'd sure steer clear of any insurance claim for that.
And you're missing the windshield, clutch lever, left foot peg and labor. That bike would get totalled, that's for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont need shift lever and footpeg . $20 windscreen from china(unfortunately), $300 for upper cowl, $244 for lower cowl, $212 for middle piece(which is barely touched). The scratches on the side tail cover can be rubbed out. I have another stator cover. So, $750 to bring it back to the condition it was in before. Unless, I can get some body work done by someone for significantly less than that? I don't know anything about body work. But, I have a friend that knows somone who does it.

And you're missing the windshield, clutch lever, left foot peg and labor. That bike would get totalled, that's for sure.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
unless they are damn good and damn expensive (usually those two things are mutually exclusive, it'll be easier, and cheaper, to buy new shit, and wait for it to come in the mail.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Dont need shift lever and footpeg . $20 windscreen from china(unfortunately), $300 for upper cowl, $244 for lower cowl, $212 for middle piece(which is barely touched). The scratches on the side tail cover can be rubbed out. I have another stator cover. So, $750 to bring it back to the condition it was in before. Unless, I can get some body work done by someone for significantly less than that? I don't know anything about body work. But, I have a friend that knows somone who does it.
The insurance company won't shop around e-bay for used parts or Chinese parts, they will get a quote from a dealership or a shop. If you make a claim, insurance will total your bike, a totalled vehicle at fault will remain in your record, premiums will go up, etc.

That bike could be fixed for less than $500.

Stickers:

CBR 919RR 1999 Fireblade Decals Stickers Graphics Set Motorcycle Transfers 900RR | eBay

Learn how to weld plastic:

And then have a body shop paint the fairings.

Last but not least, replace that stator cover. It can be done with a Walmart toolkit and requires no more skills than common sense and understanding how a ratchet works.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
like i said i don't know anything about body work. i dont want it to look like shit.
ordering upper cowl and alternator gasket, and winscreen for about$350 today. Ill be good 2 go. the upper cowl is cracked in 3 places one is small in the front that isnt shown. i dont want my bike to be getting fixed for weeks (if i did it) , and there are too many curves on the upper cowl. Rubbed out some of the scratches last night. Came out pretty good. I can always replace the mid and lower fairing later if i decide. or maybe fix them over the winter. the middle one isnt that bad though. thanks again for all the replies. wrist is even better today. im trying not to use it at all. i think it will be fine in a week but hard to tell. its worst when bending bacwards. weather here is sunny and 70's as far as they can tell into next week :(

The insurance company won't shop around e-bay for used parts or Chinese parts, they will get a quote from a dealership or a shop. If you make a claim, insurance will total your bike, a totalled vehicle at fault will remain in your record, premiums will go up, etc.

That bike could be fixed for less than $500.

Stickers:

CBR 919RR 1999 Fireblade Decals Stickers Graphics Set Motorcycle Transfers 900RR | eBay

Learn how to weld plastic:

Motorcycle Fairing Repair - ABS Plastic Welding - YouTube

And then have a body shop paint the fairings.

Last but not least, replace that stator cover. It can be done with a Walmart toolkit and requires no more skills than common sense and understanding how a ratchet works.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd be tempted to use Honda parts that were already the colour of the bike, and didn't need painting. The difference in cost is in the hundreds, and easily justified instead of shopping for cheap Chinese stuff, as it won't require any rework.

But then I'm not the one paying for this issue. Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts