Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was aiming to buy an R6 ('06-'07) anywhere around $4,000 - $4,200.

The owner of this ad agreed to sell it for $4,500. It has 19,000 miles.
06 r6 for sale

This guy agreed to sell it at $4,800. 6,000 miles & upgrades. (Not buying his gear/jacket).
Yamaha R6

What do you guys think? *Should I wait another month for prices to drop instead?
Thanks!

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Buy the second one.

I own one of these, a 2006. I love it. However, let me tell you a couple of things about owning one of these. They are without a doubt very hardcore. They are racebikes with lights. They suspension quality is fantastic relative to most of the other bikes that I have ridden - which are predominantly 600SS bikes. The thing turns on a dime and the top end is massively addictive.

However, the bike can be uncomfortable. I don't find it that way, but I am in very good physical condition with significant core strength. The riding position can be tough. The engine is pretty much all top end. Riding it around and getting it off the line on a hill requires a deft hand and clutch slipping. They are love it - hate it bikes on the street.

If you are looking for a mental bike and are willing to deal with the issues that come with it - then this is the bike for you. But the reality is if this is a bike that you are going to street ride and "learn" on it, my vote is for a GSXR or CBR. They are flat out better "street" bikes and are way more comfortable to ride around.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you post! Im heading out to buy the 2nd bike in 45 minutes!

I purchased a 08 250R in April as since then put over 9,000 miles on it. I road my friends GSXR750 since and felt really comfortable with the power an handling.

I did a ton of research on the R6 and I'm more than ready to ride it. I'm aware of all it's pros and cons.

I'm excited :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
yeah the 2nd one appears to be the better deal because of the miles but the 1st one has a much better exhaust. he said it's a full exhaust. you're looking at a grand upgrade right there. which eliminated the cat that is in the headers not in the pipe. which a normal slip on doesn't replace.
so now you're probably going to want to find a real slip on in place of the chrome exhaust tip from autozone lol. (I would get rid of that squid pos asap but that's me) and to get rid of the cats that's built in the headers isn't cheap.

those things sound like poop too.

the service on the yamaha is pretty much what any bike is. the valves don't need looked at till 26,600.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Buy the second one.

I own one of these, a 2006. I love it. However, let me tell you a couple of things about owning one of these. They are without a doubt very hardcore. They are racebikes with lights. They suspension quality is fantastic relative to most of the other bikes that I have ridden - which are predominantly 600SS bikes. The thing turns on a dime and the top end is massively addictive.

However, the bike can be uncomfortable. I don't find it that way, but I am in very good physical condition with significant core strength. The riding position can be tough. The engine is pretty much all top end. Riding it around and getting it off the line on a hill requires a deft hand and clutch slipping. They are love it - hate it bikes on the street.

If you are looking for a mental bike and are willing to deal with the issues that come with it - then this is the bike for you. But the reality is if this is a bike that you are going to street ride and "learn" on it, my vote is for a GSXR or CBR. They are flat out better "street" bikes and are way more comfortable to ride around.
Must agree with all of this. I've only ever owned R6s (but I've had 4 different ones of various years) and this pretty much sums them all up. They're TONS of fun, but that addicting top end can get you in big trouble in a hurry.

Good luck! Don't forget the forks will need servicing!

KeS
This. After 19k miles that fork oil is probably sludge. Good thing changing fork oil isn't too hard.

Appreciate it!

What servicing needs to be done at 6,000+ miles?
The only servicing that really NEEDS to be done on these bikes is oil changes and filters up until 26k miles, when the valve clearance needs to be checked (and shimmed if they're out of spec). The fork oil and rear shock don't NEED to be serviced ever really, but they function a lot better when they've got fresh fluid in them.

Check the condition of the chain and sprockets, make sure the lower fork tubes don't have any oil or residue on them (because that means you need to change the fork seals, and those aren't fun), and make sure the tires aren't weather-checked or too worn. If the seller can't be bothered to maintain the chain, then it'll make you wonder what else they skipped out on. :fact

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I just mentioned the forks because some people don't have the stands/tools to do them theirselves, so it's a significant extra expense.

Any bike six years old should have all of its fluids done, regardless of miles. Forks in particular tend to get ignored.

So did you get it?

KeS

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Hmmm, the seller of the 2nd bike basically said he only changes the oil once a year (6 year old bike, 6k miles, "changes oil every 1,000")

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Hmmm, the seller of the 2nd bike basically said he only changes the oil once a year (6 year old bike, 6k miles, "changes oil every 1,000")
sounds fine to me. i only ride my monster a few thousand or less per year and i only change the oil in fall before i put the bike away for the winter

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sounds fine to me. i only ride my monster a few thousand or less per year and i only change the oil in fall before i put the bike away for the winter
Word. I changed my oil ever 5k miles on the street, or every 4 dry track days... Elapsed time has nothing to do with it for me.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Word. I changed my oil ever 5k miles on the street, or every 4 dry track days... Elapsed time has nothing to do with it for me.
I guess I'm a bit too obsessive. I change mine at least twice a year and only put on about 1,000 a year. Once in the spring and once around july.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I guess I'm a bit too obsessive. I change mine at least twice a year and only put on about 1,000 a year. Once in the spring and once around july.
while I share your attitude about keeping it changed and well maintained, it's a total waste of money.
today's oils don't need changed that often.
synthetics can easily protect an engine over 7500 miles.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
while I share your attitude about keeping it changed and well maintained, it's a total waste of money.
today's oils don't need changed that often.
synthetics can easily protect an engine over 7500 miles.
I completely agree. I definitely don't need to change it.

But the transmission shifts so much more smoothly with fresh oil. I love that feeling, its like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

But the transmission shifts so much more smoothly with fresh oil. I love that feeling, its like a hot knife through butter.
My tranny shifts pretty damn smooth too, even while being absolutely abused on the track.. Even on the last of my 4-day oil rotation. No false neutrals, no fck-ups, no nothing. Amsoil FTW.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts

what are you using that seems to break down that fast to prevent smooth shifts?

I recently tried some castrol power rs stuff from the autoparts store. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9040397&contentId=7040544 it's the best shifting i've ever felt out of this thing. I used to run mostly repsol syntetico it's a blend not 100% synthetic. it keeps the motor spotless inside and seems to hold up a very long time.
but the shop went under where i used to get it from. so I had to switch.
but I think this castrol is pretty good too. I tried the mobil 1 but it made the valve train ungodly loud and the clutch grab oddly. I didn't even run it for a 1k miles.

castrol even has a lab you send them your oil for analysis. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915580&contentId=6005538

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40

After about 750 miles the shifts start feeling odd. Its not clunky or false neutrals or anything like that, just not buttery smooth anymore. My bike only has around 5k miles.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40

After about 750 miles the shifts start feeling odd. Its not clunky or false neutrals or anything like that, just not buttery smooth anymore. My bike only has around 5k miles.
that's the same kind of shit I felt with it too. my bike has 41k. I didn't like it. my one buddy runs their car oil. always has. no issues with his clutches or shifts either.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40

Sounds like it's time to try a different oil. 750miles is bullshit. FWIW I recently changed the oil in my Duc with Amsoil and it made a HUGE difference in shifting feel. Haven't had the bike long enough to evaluate longevity yet though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts