Sport Bikes banner

1141 - 1160 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah wtf. they made it to the stanley cup last year he coudn't have been that bad.
I forget the stat but we've had like 11 coaches in 17 years...something like that.

Your length of stay is directly related to your success....and short term success at that.

We are essentially a 500 time who just tied the last place team....barely....

As one reporter stated...you can't fire the whole team so you start with the coach. This new guy is questionable though...he was a player as of 2006....but with short notice and at this point in the season he will do. He is interim head coach though so hopefully someone solid will get in there this summer. I wouldn't even mind Yeo...he's the man and commands a lot of respect from the players.

·
5,455 Posts
reservations are made! going to Deals Gap on April 6,7,8 with one of my riding buddies. he just sold his 04 GSXR600 that had 20+k miles on it and had been down a couple times for a minty, low mileage 05 Kawi 636 so we got some miles to rack up.

originally i was planning on buying/ printing a bunch of maps off the internet, but if i prob won't want to stay on the highway for long so i didn't think that would work too well. finally decided to splurge and pick up a GPS.

after doing a bunch of research i ended up with the TomTom XL330S since it had alot of nice features, good reviews, and a decent price. i looked into the motorcycle specific units like the TomTom Rider and Garmin Zumo, but they're over twice as much and the only big feature is that they're waterproof. i'm gonna carry a zip lock bagand a rubber band if it starts raining instead.

i looked into those RAM mounts that everyone uses for GPS on bikes, but they're expensive, look cheap and seem intrusive. my dad and i fabricated up a real nice mount that bolts on the front of the gas tank. it looks really clean and is at the perfect angle. we're gonna wire up the 12V outlet tomorrow i think

Pens took 5 of 6 points since the coaching change, not bad eh?

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
I got a ram mount for my PDA phone.. Loaded up the TomTom software on my HTC Mogul, Not the prettiest thing in the world but very functional and worked like a champ on my Deals Gap trip last summer. Went down for the YZF600R annual meet. Just the girlfriend and I, saddles and hard tail luggage, 1600+ miles round trip over 4 days.. It was a blast.. Can't wait to do it again this year..

·
I Hate Cold Roads
991 Posts
I got a ram mount for my PDA phone.. Loaded up the TomTom software on my HTC Mogul, Not the prettiest thing in the world but very functional and worked like a champ on my Deals Gap trip last summer. Went down for the YZF600R annual meet. Just the girlfriend and I, saddles and hard tail luggage, 1600+ miles round trip over 4 days.. It was a blast.. Can't wait to do it again this year..
That's quite a setup! But it looks too comfortable. One has to suffer after at least the first 150 miles on a sportbike! :)
Great job!

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
I don't know about the "first" 150 miles.. But of the 1600 mile trip at least 150 miles of it was Hell bender,tail of the Dragon, and some best kept secret rides.. all bags, ram mounts and fur were removed for those days..:cheers

Oh and despite the comfortable stock ergos of the bike and fur we were still needing to stop every 100 miles.. I love fully adjustable front and rear suspension too.. you can setup for touring, for carving, 2 up, solo.. That's why I chose this bike. It's not a jaw dropping GSXR or RR, its not a goldwing or even an FJR.. But it does do the things those bikes do overall pretty well.

I can't wait till July to do it all again.. Maybe if I get some decent leathers I'll try the Cherohala Skyway with the "big kids"

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
RRRR6 - you said 1600 on your "one" 06.. This tells me you have more than 1 bike on the street if not own a fleet of bikes.. Sounds like there's plenty of miles to go around though.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.. Last year the focus was on function.. This year will be a little more form.. Lighting mods, maybe some new graphics, maybe a new can.. After that though the focus is going to be upgrading my gear for more riding conditions.

Next year, I'm thinking track bike..:boink

·
5,455 Posts
very cool!

i'm thinking we're gonna be somewhere around 1400 miles in 3 days. we're packing LIGHT though- i'm taking a tankbag and i think my buddy is using my tailbag or just a backpack.
i only plan on stopping for gas.

what kinda stuff did u take? heres what i plan on taking so far:
-chain lube
-Plexus to clean shield, helmet, bike(?)
-couple pairs of socks and boxers
-shorts, t shirt, and normal shoes to wear at hotel
-glasses, contact lense case
-tire pressure gauge
-GPS

i'll be wearing my waterproof Teknic Chicane textile pants and jacket, waterproof/ insulated Olympia gloves (prob take a regular pair of leather gloves too, of course a helmet and ear plugs, but haven't decided which boots to wear yet- i'll prob wear the Sidi Vertigos even though they're not waterproof just cuz they're so comfy. underneath i'll have padded bicycle shorts and Underarmour

any ideas/ suggestions?

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
I didn't pack as light as I should have but first big trip, and having a pillion we did well.. I went a little overkill on some things..

-toiletries (picked them up at a store once we got there)
-we both had 2 windscreens (clear and dark smoke) my polarized sunglasses go all psychadelic when looking thru clear screen. but the Dark smoke is way too dark after dusk. moist towlettes are great for quick debugging and cleaning too.
-sun block (us gingers burn easily)
-extra set of bike keys (self explanitory)
-extra gloves (Waterproof leathers)
-registration and insurance (its ho' heap a trouble country down there and you don't want to get stopped without your paperwork)
-kick stand plate (just always a good idea)
-tire pressure gauge
-rain gear (in my case we both both full rain suits)
-GPS (but may help to get a fold up map when you get there because I found my gps wasn't always the "be all end all" authority of the roads down there)
-Emergency cash (get to a gas station and their CC machine is broke or they don't have one, your screwed..)
-we packed light on clothes and just hit a laundramat when we got there.. (packed a day plus what we were wearing during the ride plus cool weather clothes)
-underarmor or extra layers.. gets cold up in the mountains at night or when it rains.
-Flashlight (either headband miners type or a mini mag). you'll enevitably need it.. changing a burned out headlight at night is a real mother otherwise.
-Tools.. I went overboard.. OEM kit plus a pouch with WD40, Chain lube, chain scrubber brush, sockets, torx sockets, wire strippers, extra 16ga wire, black duct tape, zipties, multi tip screwdriver, pocket knife. I wanted to make sure I that I could work on 80%+ of the bike, or god forbid have to macgyver it back together should I go down. It actually paid off because situations arose for other members who didn't have that right tool to mount their camera or change out something.

This year I think I'll ease up on the tools a bit but add a tire repair kit and mini air pump. and maybe pick up a hydration pack.. storing water bottles is a pain when 2up.

I bet by looking at those pictures you'd have never guessed we were carrying that much stuff.. between luggage and 2 riders we were right at the max load rating of the bike.:) Let me tell you, scary as hell to be introduced to the Dragon for the first time fully loaded... See Avatar.

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
oh one more thing.. emergency contact info.. My girfriend and I use I.C.E. and programmed our cell phones with ICE tags as well as kept a piece of paper in the tank bag with the ICE info just incase.. We made sure to call the lodge and leave my cell and a primary emergency contact should we not have arrived by nightfall.

Again, first big trip for me, having 2 lives in my hands, I couldn't be too careful.

·
Registered
765 Posts
ya i have three 2006 R6's.

In 2006 I bought my first one. Road it on the street for a bit then turned it into a track bike.
In 2007 the dealer I bought the first one off of called me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse on their last '06 in stock. I bought it and road it on the street.
In 2008 I pretty much totalled the first R6 in a highside at Summit Point so I retired it to the garage and bought a used '06 from a friend.

Now I have three total: 2 track bikes and one that's essentially in a pile for parts. The one track bike, when I'm feeling really motivated I can make street legal and take out on the streets every once in a while.

·
5,455 Posts
thanks, lots of good info. never even though of a flashlight.
what route did u take to get down there? how many miles/ hours was it? i'm thinking i'll stick to 79 just to get me out of PA and into WV since i can ride this area any time and then do backroads for a little and get back onto the main highways if its taking us too long to get there.

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
We decided to hit Quaker Steak and Lube Bike Night in Knoxville, TN.. We took Ohio Rt 7 all the way down thru Ohio, the contruction and stuff really really put us behind, so we slabbed down I77 to break for lunch in Charleston,WV.. found a little bit more backcountry but ultimately got back on slab I75 and hauled serious ass to get into Knoxville by 8pm and stayed at QSL until bike night was over. bunked in a hotel.. that was about 13 1/2 hours. Next morning worked great because you can get on US129 from Knoxville and it was a straight shot to Deals. Was maybe another 2 hours or less.

Coming back was worse because we were a little too leisurely.. We decided to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway off of Rt 23 and just cruised 45mph from Balsam Gap,NC to Ashville to check out the Biltmore Estate the we were supposed to head toward Grandfather mountain.. was so relaxed that we only made it to Boone,NC which sucked because you have to go up 321 from the parkway which is kinda Dragon like but all residential and scary as hell at 8pm. Stayed over night in Boone and decided to continue down the Parkway.. again too relaxed a pace forcing us to cancel Grandfather Mountain and take the parkway to Fancy Gap, VA and straight slab up I77 all the way back to ohio.. The slab part sucked but the almost 60mpg on the parkway and beautiful weather you couldn't beat.

This year I'm thinking we'll start out slab until we get deep into WV find some backcountry or we'll go thru PA/MD down thru Virginia backcountry to Blue Ridge and take that to Grandfather mountain and come in to Deals from 23..

thanks, lots of good info. never even though of a flashlight.
what route did u take to get down there? how many miles/ hours was it? i'm thinking i'll stick to 79 just to get me out of PA and into WV since i can ride this area any time and then do backroads for a little and get back onto the main highways if its taking us too long to get there.

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
Ok to be fair I made it sound like all the "relaxed" pace stuff was bad.. It was actually fantastic.. I mean the whole trip was about the ride and I didn't really want 1600 miles of knee dragging.. It was nice to be able to take a relaxing trip, see new things, enjoy the ride and be able to do the whole thing without going bankrupt because of the $3.95/gal gas prices at the time.

For as impressive as it was for a first long trip.. My girlfriend should get all the props.. To ride pillion in the legendary comforts of a sportbike for that long.. And the fact that she's looking forward to doing it again this year.. :bowdown

·
5,455 Posts
Oh and despite the comfortable stock ergos of the bike and fur we were still needing to stop every 100 miles.. I love fully adjustable front and rear suspension too.. you can setup for touring, for carving, 2 up, solo.. That's why I chose this bike. It's not a jaw dropping GSXR or RR, its not a goldwing or even an FJR.. But it does do the things those bikes do overall pretty well.
i probably would be better off with a more "do it all" kind bike like the YZF for the kinda riding i do, but i'm pretty puny so i wanted something light that i could back up easily. that and i've always dreamed of having something like the GSXR since before i started riding

·
Pillion Cam
200 Posts
for sure.. This is my first bike so I figured I'd start out on something more forgiving. It definately is heavier than any current generation 600 but that has been an advantage when riding in a crosswind. (which my work commute is pure North-South)

When fully dressed with luggage and pillion I would get asked if it was a BMW.. I usually respond.. "Nope.. its a Yamaha.. My bike isn't that ugly."

Maybe if I get molded hard side bags I can call it an "FJR 600r"

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey Armith,

Thanks for the ride report. You should thank God you have a wife that LIKES to ride with you long distances, that is definitely a blessing! If you like the YFZ, keep it. I have a "sporttouring" bike, and it's a sled. Thanks for sharing, be safe,

1141 - 1160 of 1170 Posts