Sport Bikes banner

921 - 940 of 1170 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Let's see....

My inspection runs out at the end of the month (today) and I need to install new tires to pass. I got the tires last week, but haven't found time to install them yet.

Annoyance:
Last week, on my way home from work I got caught behind a slow motorcycle. I was making good time and pulled up behind a virago doing the speed limit or slower. It was a narrow road and I could have passed him, but I wanted to extend biker's honor or something. In other words, I figured he was a newer rider and I didn't want to spook him too badly. I followed him for like five miles and it was killing me. :bitchslap

Come on, if you're on a motorcycle, you can move out faster than when driving a cage.

Actually, I've been seeing lots of new riders recently. I guess people are getting cycles to save gas money.

Like the tool I saw today on a new ZZR600 with sneakers, shorts, tank top, and no gloves. They did have this ugly K-mart Nolan helmet though.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i just bought a house up there.....ingomar acually....roads are nice up that way. specially west of 79.
cool..i actually haven't ridden yet with all this unpacking but i will get out this weekend.
i have noticed a lot of cops on 19 though. i will have to explore.
let me know if you ever want to meet up for a cruise around wexford/cranberry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
new riders cuz of gas prices..

this kills me

beyond belief!! say u buy used.. and u get away with $5k for the bike.. then on the CHEAP side.. $200 for a lid, and Leather? $200 (cheap one? without armor?) and gloves at $50 ..

i continuously tell people.. NEVER get a bike cuz you want to save money!!!
figure out how long it will cost you to recoup that savings of gas.. with having to shell out about $6k if your lucky...

or, even at $200 a month (over 5 years for a loan) plus insurance which ranges.. from waht$50 a month to god knows what...

how on earth does buying a MC save you money?? then inspections, and just riding around for the enjoyment of it...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
new riders cuz of gas prices..

this kills me

beyond belief!! say u buy used.. and u get away with $5k for the bike.. then on the CHEAP side.. $200 for a lid, and Leather? $200 (cheap one? without armor?) and gloves at $50 ..

i continuously tell people.. NEVER get a bike cuz you want to save money!!!
figure out how long it will cost you to recoup that savings of gas.. with having to shell out about $6k if your lucky...

or, even at $200 a month (over 5 years for a loan) plus insurance which ranges.. from waht$50 a month to god knows what...

how on earth does buying a MC save you money?? then inspections, and just riding around for the enjoyment of it...

Agreed Beth. BUYING a bike to save money is not smart. Riding more then driving to save money makes sense. I get over twice the MPG beating on the bike then I do babying the truck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agreed Beth. BUYING a bike to save money is not smart. Riding more then driving to save money makes sense. I get over twice the MPG beating on the bike then I do babying the truck.
If you enjoy riding you spend alot more in extra gas just taking rides. Even though riding to work safes a little bit, it still costs more for those of us who enjoy riding.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
cool..i actually haven't ridden yet with all this unpacking but i will get out this weekend.
i have noticed a lot of cops on 19 though. i will have to explore.
let me know if you ever want to meet up for a cruise around wexford/cranberry.
surely....im pretty well booked up until my closing....

this week in CA, week at home to pack, leave for korea on 7/14, close on 7/22, move the rest of and the following week. should be good to go in august or so.....haven't heard from dennisred much lately, but he's up in kopple (about 20 minutes north). lots of good roads up that way, plus WV isn't too far.

plus beaver run is close :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Like the tool I saw today on a new ZZR600 with sneakers, shorts, tank top, and no gloves. They did have this ugly K-mart Nolan helmet though.
I resent that I didn't know I could have bought my helmet at wal-mart I bet I got ripped off by some motorcycle store.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
I dont know guys, if you get a good deal on a bike you can save on gas. I got my first bike for free and got 55 mpg :D To buy a new motorcycle or barely used is indeed retarded though. The current bike gets between 40 and 45 mpg under most conditions so its better than babying the cage

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's definitely cheaper to ride than drive.. if your just riding INSTEAD of driving.. but to buy a bike just to "save on gas" is just nutz..

although, i'd rather see all those SUV's and big trucks off the road.. makes my fun time a bit safer :)

so, i'm gonna ride all over.. just to get in a nice ride on a day like today.. super sweet out this morning!!

·
Apex Predator
1,319 Posts
People keep telling me to get rid of my Tahoe that has been paid off for 4 years now because it is a gas hog. I am like ok, let me go get a new car payment and higher insurance to "save money". How does that work again?? I guess they feel as long as the money is not going to the oil companies they are making out? Not sure...
So I baby it when I have to drive it and try to take my bike as much as possible.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
People keep telling me to get rid of my Tahoe that has been paid off for 4 years now because it is a gas hog. I am like ok, let me go get a new car payment and higher insurance to "save money". How does that work again?? I guess they feel as long as the money is not going to the oil companies they are making out? Not sure...
So I baby it when I have to drive it and try to take my bike as much as possible.
Exactly.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
The funny thing is that the oil companies get the last laugh no matter what. You need energy to create....and the cheapest form of readily available energy is guess what? Oil. Plus all the plastics made, rubber tires, bushings, etc.....

I'll probably ride tomorrow to work, and hopefully get some play time after work. I need to get larg hard luggage with easy on/off straps or something for my commute.

·
Apex Predator
1,319 Posts
Ordered up a RAM mount system for my new fathers day gift. (GPS) Not working... Too much travel of the bars, the GPS is in the way no matter where I mount it. Found this site if anyone needs a mount for anything. They have it all... Found a stem mount and all the goodies configured by the site so nothing is left out.

CycleGadgets.com

Saw this tail light and thoght it was a cool idea...

Kisan tailBlazer Brake Light Modulators

·
5,454 Posts
i'm pretty weird about keeping my bike clean. its usually spotless with the exception being a few bugs plastered to the front if i just got back from a ride.
you'd never know the abuse i put this poor bike through! today i was riding dirt roads in West Virginia, just because i haven't gotten really lost in a while and felt i was due. i love just rolling on the throttle and fishtailing all over the place... maybe i should get a dual sport or something lol. some stupid dogs chased me though. well actually they were pretty smart since they didn't run straight towards me, but ahead so that they could cut me off. one got really close so i lifted my leg, dunno if it was just reflex or i was planning on kicking it. i got on the gas way too hard though trying to get away and just threw gravel everywhere haha.

i'm really enjoying my Diablo Stradas and Sidi Vertigos though, both are great

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Well, got some stuff done on the bike today. First thing I did was a real hardcore cleaning of the chain. I've never cleaned a chain on any of my bikes, just sprayed it down and let the dirt sling off :lol After careful WD40 cleaning, I came to the realization I had a gold chain! Never knew that.

I also got down and dirty and started to fix the sidecovers on the bike since they were both scratched up from being down. Unfortunately I ran out of time before I had to leave for work, but here's how far I got (with a quick coat of paint until I finish it up)

I need to sand it down alot more and blend it, but work got in the way.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
What no platinum?? toss it out!!
Haha right? the PO was such a cheapass :eek:nfloor

I hate when this happens...

But seriously looks pretty good for a quick first patch job. I have no patients for that kind of work.
Trust me, this is nothing compared to when I woke my 1983 XT550 from the dead.... I love this stuff honestly, I want to do it as a profitable hobby soon.

If your bored, here is the link to my slow project XT550 (which isn't finished, but my DD bike gets more attention :) ). I truly love this bike, but the frame is so mangled I gave up on a full vintage restore and decided to have fun with her.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/pictures/350223-1983-yamaha-xt550-project-personal-journal.html

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I'm still up in the air on your 900RR "conversion" Levi. I like it as it is.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
I'm still up in the air on your 900RR "conversion" Levi. I like it as it is.
Well, another option is to slowly acquire the pieces I'll need for cheap, and paint them the color I'd want. I've no idea what color I'd do yet, I like the white, silver, and gold scheme but bleh, when the time comes I'll choose haha.

921 - 940 of 1170 Posts