Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first helmet I ever purchased was a Fly dirt riding helmet, but let's skip that crap lid and pretend like it never happened.

My first proper street riding helmet was a lender RF700 in the ole Smokin' Joe the-friendly-toking-camel-that-children-love paint scheme to match the replica bike I was learning the street on (yeah I know, perfect learner's bike to bin and rash). This was a great helmet with good fit that was quiet as can be, but in the traditional bowling ball shape of old compared with today's wind cutting and channeling hyper-aerodynamic brain buckets. It was however a Shoei, with excellent quality and a fit and finish only bettered in appearance by Arai. An excellent street lid, though missing the exit vents so common today which keep your dome free of the helmet greenhouse effect, leaving your mop like it was left in the bucket of day old Mr. Clean. But, it was quiet mind you. Quieter than mouse sex, if you can imagine.

Having purchased my own obnoxiously loud Arai RX7-RR4 on eBay for $300 as my first street lid, I had a good idea of what the competition had to offer at the highest level. Sure you might say the X11 is the true competition of the Arai RX7, but alas, the RF1000 is essentially the same helmet minus some of the extra vents and track-oriented goodies. The construction and shape remain essentially identical. A wolf in sheeps clothing really, especially at a retail that won't leave you auctioning off sex tapes with your wife on eBay.

How has the RF model changed from the 700 to the 1000? Well it's 300 of something better of course, leaving Darwin a happy man. Well, not entirely. The shield system and all that? The same. The noise level? Much louder than the old model. So hey, why did they drop the deuce in the good lid? Well, that quiet peaceful sanctuary-like atmosphere that the 700 provided came at the price of f*ck all ventilation. It also was a heavy bastard compared to the ultra light and mucho venty 1000. So it seems that with any new light and vented helmet noise will be an issue. Plan on wearing plugs no matter what you buy if you want to hear the devils in your Ozzy records playing backwards. Though, if you're married better skip the plugs because you don't want to hear anymore anyways.

According to Japan the 1000 is also the result of wind tunnel testing aimed at reducing buffeting (aka flopping around in the wind) and to help the helmet to cut through the air like a certain Mrs. Bobbit cutting through... Mommy. Anyways, this is a knife aimed at saving your head, not losing it. For the $300-400 price that you can pick them up in most stores at it's tough to find a better helmet for the street. You're not going to believe it, but I actually prefer it to my $750 retail Arai on the street. Guess what else; the females seem to prefer it as well considering the wave of Paris Hilton style dirty slut smirks. As Hunter S. Thompson used to put it, ho ho ho.

ENDS

Images of both helmets can be found here (please excuse PhotoBucket's automatic Pac Man size pixelation feature) :
http://photobucket.com/albums/a202/wescoas1/New Shoei Comparison/

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
lol, thanks for the rather entertaining review. my RF-1000 Nerve should be in Monday, I can hardly wait now, the HJC Im presently sporting really isnt cutting it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures added in the above link

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I like mine as well.

And why did'nt you tell us you were selling sex tapes of your wife when you bought the last helmet...........Zup wit dat. :bitchslap :lao

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like mine also. The only thing that bothers me is the piece at the bottom of the helmet that's supposed to keep the wind noise out(kinda hard to describe, but if you have the helmet upside down, looking at the inside, it's the flaps on either side that are supposed to keep the wind from coming up into the helmet), doesn't really work. The odd thing is if I have the helmet on, and push those flap type things up, the wind noise almost completely goes away, but they won't stay in that position. If there was a way to keep that flap thingy up, it'd be a 150% quieter helmet. That's why I wanted to get that Whisper strip that Shoei sells only in European markets(for some odd reason they don't sell them in the US). I've been talking to a guy in South America trying to get his help with buying one. I tried one of those neoprene ones that you just slide over the bottom, and while it does work really well at making you feel like you're in a womb(quiet as hell) it slips off at higher speeds(above 75mph) and when it rains.

Anyway, I agree that the RF-1000 is a great helmet, though I do think the ventilation could be a little better, as I don't feel much air on the top of my head from the top vents. Other than that, and the noise, it's perfect.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
my intitial impression of the RF-1000 (I just got it today and rode maybe 1hr) is, its a great helmet, very very comfortable and fits very nice, only complaint, which reall ISNT a complaint is, its pretty noisey, much more noisey than my $90 HJC helmet.......or atleast it appears to me it is. but overall I think its an awesome helmet and worth the price of admission.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
313 Posts
Obviously more vents equals more noise. Everyone knew this, right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just bought a 1000 and it seems much noisier than the RF-900 that it replaced. That surprised me. Of course, with both helmets, if you look up so your chin is pointed forward while you are riding they both get extremely quiet. You would think that all this reported work in the wind tunnel would have produced a helmet that was that quiet all of the time.

Sure, I would just wear earplugs and forget about it- but they are illegal to wear here in Maryland

1 - 14 of 14 Posts