Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to put Pilot Powers on my bike without paying Michelin prices. Rather pay Shinko low prices, are there any Shinko Tires that have that Michelin Pilot Power feel. That high tip point apex feel of Pilot Powers is the best to me.

Raven? Verge 011 016? Podium? Shinko has a lot to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Most Sportbikers will say nothing but negative things about Shinkos. This is odd because I don't recall ever seeing a thread or reading an article stating just how bad they are :confused:

I put a set of Shinkos on my 900RR and had no issues. However, I only used it as a wotk commuter and it was all highway miles. But they did well overall, including in the rain.

·
Registered
825 Posts
And I want a McLaren F1for civic money too
I have a buddy who used Shnkos exclusively for 2 years on 3 different bikes. He was given some and got the rest at below dealer coast.
Supermoto rc51 and super duke
He tried everything that would fit on the bikes in the end he found them a good value (@ retail) but lacked feeling feedback and performance he is back to michelin's now
I like my Pirellis

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
And I want a McLaren F1for civic money too
I hace a buddy who Shnkos exclusively for 2 years on 3 different bikes
Supermoto rc51 and super duke
He tried everything that would fit on the bikes in the end he round them a good value but lacked feelband performance he is back to michelin's
I like my Pirellis
I want a private tropical island full of supermodels for $1.99 and I would also like them to throw in $5 billion dollars in gold as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only ridden the 1st Pilot Power and looks like I got to cough up the extra dough for what I really want. Now should I go for the Pilot Power 3? I don't go to the track. All street riding.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i have the pilot power 3 on my ninja 1000 and like them, they appear that they will only last about 4000 miles max. i am going to try some bridgestones next, to me the pp3's gave me a little too much "wiggle" at times in the mountains when riding them hard at near max lean angle unlike my bridgestones i had on it before (they only lasted 2600 miles though!)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've lots of experience with the Shinko Verge 011, I had them on my motard and I've had them on my Versys once the OEM tires were done. I've been to the tail of the dragon on Shinkos...

No, they don't feel like Pilot Powers, which is a plus to me, the 011 are very neutral, the bike doesn't want to stand up nor tip over, it just holds where you left it. Grip is terrific, I have no complain and I've rode extensively in the rain with them. The only downside, for me, is that the 011 is a single compound tire, and it is kinda soft, so it won't last as long as modern sport touring tires.

The new 016, which is now dual compound, is available in 160 rear, so I'm going to try them next. Right now my Versys has a 011 front and a Full Bore M1 rear. Full Bore are made by Shinko, the M1 is just a 011 with a different thread pattern.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Can I get a 2015 Chevy that feels like driving an Audi for under $20k?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've lots of experience with the Shinko Verge 011, I had them on my motard and I've had them on my Versys once the OEM tires were done. I've been to the tail of the dragon on Shinkos...

No, they don't feel like Pilot Powers, which is a plus to me, the 011 are very neutral, the bike doesn't want to stand up nor tip over, it just holds where you left it. Grip is terrific, I have no complain and I've rode extensively in the rain with them. The only downside, for me, is that the 011 is a single compound tire, and it is kinda soft, so it won't last as long as modern sport touring tires.

The new 016, which is now dual compound, is available in 160 rear, so I'm going to try them next. Right now my Versys has a 011 front and a Full Bore M1 rear. Full Bore are made by Shinko, the M1 is just a 011 with a different thread pattern.
Thats what I like most about Pilot Powers, its fun to me to have a tire so tippy. At least when its not flat spotted.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have the pilot power 3 on my ninja 1000 and like them, they appear that they will only last about 4000 miles max. i am going to try some bridgestones next, to me the pp3's gave me a little too much "wiggle" at times in the mountains when riding them hard at near max lean angle unlike my bridgestones i had on it before (they only lasted 2600 miles though!)
I shall pass on the PP 3 at those kind of miles. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I shall pass on the PP 3 at those kind of miles. Thanks for the heads up.
Now keep in mind I do not ride my tires until they are completely bald then say they are done. I run them until the tread is low, past the wear bar but not so low that they will be bad in the rain. If I ran them till they were bald like some do then they would last around 6000 miles. I live in the mountains too.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Most Sportbikers will say nothing but negative things about Shinkos. This is odd because I don't recall ever seeing a thread or reading an article stating just how bad they are :confused:

I put a set of Shinkos on my 900RR and had no issues. However, I only used it as a wotk commuter and it was all highway miles. But they did well overall, including in the rain.
Really?

2010 Street Motorcycle Tire Comparison - Motorcycle USA

6 seconds off the pace.

If you want decent tires without Michelin prices, look at Dunlop Q3. Can get a set for around $230.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Shinko makes an ADV tire, the 705 I believe, it has the same exact tread pattern as a Michelin or Metzler or something. So a ton of people bought them thinking they'd be just as good, people don't usually push ADV bikes that hard anyway. Well a lot of people who bought them found the Shinkos ended up cracking and literally falling apart after a few thousand miles.

I stick to the big players, lately I've really liked Metzler, and they're not too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Really?

2010 Street Motorcycle Tire Comparison - Motorcycle USA

6 seconds off the pace.

If you want decent tires without Michelin prices, look at Dunlop Q3. Can get a set for around $230.
Sorry. I forgot about that one article from 5 years ago. I'm not sure how it slipped my mind.

And please note that in my original post I never said the Shinkos were on par with Michelin. I just stated I had no issues with them in the capacity that they were being used.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts