Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '06 gixxer 750 on Friday. It's my first full on supersport so it's taking some getting used to. One question I have is about the transmission. When I shift it's not a single snick like on my other bike. It's more like a click-click. That is, when I let the cliutch out it's like the there's a follow-on movement in the tranny to put everything in place. An example might help: I was turning from one road to another. I shift down to second with a throttle blip and the then when I got on throttle it felt like there was some driveline lash or something. This is even though 2nd gear was selected and the clutch had been out since before initiating the turn.

It shifts just fine and there's no clutch slip so I don't know if there's a problem. It's just different. Also, I don't know if the slipper clutch is playing a part here. I'd be surprised if it did because it happens up shifts too. I found only half pulling the clutch made it go away.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would love to know the answer to this as well, my k7 750 does exactlythe same, roll off the throttle, drop down a few gears, tip the bike into a corner and get back on the throttle, and it feels like i got a load of driveline lash, puts me right off my line sometimes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deffo not a loose chain, was the first thing i checked.

I can stop it from doing it if i am really and i mean REALLY light on the throttle but it takes a lot of control to crack the throttle open about 1 or 2 mm, and after riding for a few hours and your hands/arms are sore and tired theres no hope of having that degree of control.

Dropped the bike off at my dealers today so they can have a look at it, be interesting to see what they make of it

·
Registered
3 Posts
A better description of what it feels like would be as follows.

Imagine going into a corner with your clutch in, you tip the bike over and hold the revs at say 2000 - 3000 then suddenly dump the clutch,the bike would snatch forward and unsettle you.

Thats what it feels like when i come back on from a fully closed throttle, there is no smooth linear transition of power, it really snatches, and from then on its back to being totally smooth again.

As the OP said, it feels like your taking up a load of driveline slack, but there does not appear to be any.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, an old thread comes back to life. It's the slipper clutch. Your wheel is outdriving the engine for a split second giving that lash-like feeling.

I've found that on the Gixxer that I need to manage the clutch and throttle much more deftly than my old bike. Use quick throttle and clutch actions. Now that I'm used to it I don't have the problem anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts