Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 99 zx7-r when i shift from 1st gear to 2nd it kinda grinds and is wierd but shifting through the rest of the gears is smooth, whats wrong?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
mine did that when I first got it brand new. When I took it to the shop they told me that 1st to second is just a tall gear and that there was nothing wrong with the clutch. Mine used to make a creeeuunch...thud sound and the bike would get unstettled as it got into gear. I switched out to my shfiter to Moto GP and that helped a bit but I still use the clutch from 1st to second but not for the others. I also shift at a higher rpm around 9 or 10 on the street, 11-13 on the drag stirp that helps a bit.

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
The thing I can't stand the most is missing 2nd from 1st, and it shifting into neutral, and then having hell getting it into 2nd until the RPM's come down because all I did was rev the engine up. :mad:

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Make sure that oil is changed periodically, the thin oil does magic to your clutches (bad magic) premature wear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
the only time i hear it thump or grind is when i down shift from 2nd to 1st and only sometimes. its normal though and nothing to worry about. I have owned around 14 motocycles and all of them shift a bit rougher between 1st and 2nd.

next time listen to that harley that pulls up to the stop next to you..when he/she puts it into first it BANGS in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts