Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gixxer Nerd
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my FZ6 to the dealership for them to install a new Pirelli Diablo rear tire. The OEM Dunlop was so square it looked like it belonged to a Buick. I noticed a couple of things riding back home. First, I could hear a hum coming from the gearbox area (chain too tight?), and that the clunkiness of the gearbox was gone (especially 1st to 2nd shifting). I went home and loosened the chain to specification (1.77 inch, tightest). The hum was almost gone, but the bike shifted like crap again. I did searches about chain slack adjustment and got very good info, but I have a couple of questions: How much pressure do you put on the chain in order to measure slack? I can almost touch the swingarm if I apply enough pressure with my fingers. Does having a slightly loose chain shorten the life of the gearbox?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When I measure my chain slack I put as much up& down force as I can, but not so much that I'm straining myself doing it.
THe hum thing sounds familiar almost. I had a wierd "clunk" feeling coming from the drive sproket area at low speeds while braking. Loosened the chain and it went away ..... but after a while it came back. At the time this started I probaby had a little over 20K miles on the bike, when I had my chain replaced at 24K it went away completely. So I think it was just a sign of the chain reachin the end of it's usable life. Not sure how much that relates to what you have goin on though. I think I remember getting a hum when the chain was too tight but can't remember for sure.
But I can say that the shifting feel changes based on your chain slack. I was getting really crappy 1st-2nd shifts and when I checked my chain it was loose. Tightened to about 2" slack, which is about 1/2 way between the recommended max/min slack setting, and everything got better when shifting. The "cluck" is still there ... but then again it's always been there, one can say it's fairly normal depending on how bad you have it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
greatzippy said:
... and everything got better when shifting. The "cluck" is still there ... but then again it's always been there, one can say it's fairly normal depending on how bad you have it.
If your bike is "clucking", I suggest you attempt to "feather the clutch". *rimshot*

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
That joke was worth bumping myself.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Of course. Drinking and message forums go together hand-in-hand. I suggest we have a 6-beer-minimum before posting night. Who else is game?

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Of course. Drinking and message forums go together hand-in-hand. I suggest we have a 6-beer-minimum before posting night. Who else is game?

+1 gets my vote!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'll buy the first round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts