Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I just passed my MSF class, so I started trying to get my bike running again. I haven't ridden it in about a year.

Anyways, I got it running, and when I drive it, the shifter sticks. If you shift to a higher gear, I have to push it down just a tad with my foot in order to shift up to another gear. Same with downshifting. If I shift down from, say, 4th to 3rd, I have to push it up a little before I can then shift from 3rd to 2nd.

The gears still shift properly, it's just like the shifter isn't "springing" itself back into the correct position.

Any suggestions?? The bike is a 1986 Yamaha Radian.

·
Registered
936 Posts
First thing I'd suggest would be to change the oil. The same oil runs through the crankcase and the transmission.

If it still sticks after changing the oil.... maybe you could replace the shift return spring? I don't know much about your model of bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
like ajohn505 said, try the oil. other than that, i'd put some miles on it and see if it loosens back up. also, make sure the linkage itself isn't corroded or binding. if it is, try a liberal amount of good ole wd40.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm gonna go mess around with it some more tonight. See if I can't get it loosened up a bit more. I really hope I don't have to pull the thing apart and replace that spring...ugh...

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it fixed.

When I had put the thing back together (we'd taken it apart to put a new sprocket in it), I must've put the sprocket cover on a bit crooked, because it was catching on the shifter not allowing it to spring back into place. Cleaned it all up, put that cover on straight, and it's good to go!!

Thanks for the advice though guys!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts