Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did a search on this and looked through the "how to" but couldn't find anything. Is there any way to lower the shifter down some so I don't have to lift my foot off the peg to downshift? I see that there is some adjustment on the linkage rod but I'm not sure if that's how it's done. My old bike just had like a spline gear where you could move the lever where ever you wanted. I'm just not sure if I should mess with the linkage and screw up the way it shifts... or is this better left up to the dealer to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
734 Posts
You might be able to search and find a link to a Yamaha service manual somewhere on the forum. Here's a screen shot of the page on adjusting the shifter. You may need to move the lever on the spline a notch and then do the adjustment depending on how far you want to move it.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been curious about the break pedal positioning myself. Looking at the service manual it want's me to loosen a locknut and turn an adjusting bolt. Problem is the locknut has to be torqued to a specific measurement, I didn't even know they made open ended torque wrenches :/ Can't you just remove the pedal itself and just move it down a notch? ( at least eyeballing it it looks like it is pretty independant of the rest of the Assembly )

·
Registered
412 Posts
You can adjust it at the shift linkage (where it connects to the shift shaft) then fine tune any adjustments by loosening both 8mm nuts on the linkage itself and turning it. If making major changes because of new boots you will most likely need a little of both. If minor adjustments are needed follow the instructions from LarryC

·
Registered
734 Posts
Bleego said:
I have been curious about the break pedal positioning myself. Looking at the service manual it want's me to loosen a locknut and turn an adjusting bolt. Problem is the locknut has to be torqued to a specific measurement, I didn't even know they made open ended torque wrenches :/ Can't you just remove the pedal itself and just move it down a notch? ( at least eyeballing it it looks like it is pretty independant of the rest of the Assembly )
Like the coyote from the cartoon, I haven't studied law so I didn't know there was a torque spec. I just peeled the boot back on the brake cylinder so I could get to the nut, loosened, adjusted, & retightened.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok the diagram helps alot... but not sure if the shift lever has a spline. I think it just rides on a shaft but not sure on the older models I'll look later when I get home. If thats the case all of the adjustment is in the rod itself.

Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Metamatic said:
ok the diagram helps alot... but not sure if the shift lever has a spline. I think it just rides on a shaft but not sure on the older models I'll look later when I get home. If thats the case all of the adjustment is in the rod itself.

Thanks
The spline is on the shaft that goes into the gear box.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Troy, NY...I grew up in Saratoga.

Bleego said:
Can't you just remove the pedal itself and just move it down a notch?
After doing so, mine dragged before the pegs. Take note of your clearence before and after.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had to drop mine quite a bit and never moved the actual shift shaft linkage at all. I did it by loosening up the rod and shortening it so the shift lever dropped. It now sits below the peg as opposed to being even with it. With the shifter in the normal position the distance to the shifter peg was way too much. Now it is right off my foot in the normal ride position....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.