Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sure is an interesting ad campaign. Anyway, I figured it won't break my bank to put 10 litres of it in my tank to see if there's any difference so here's my report:

1) No noticeable difference in performance, didn't really expect to see it.
2) Bike idles ... differently... this morning when I first turned it on, sounds a bit throatier than usual. Whether this is good or bad, I'm not qualified to say.

I'm skeptical about fuel additives off the shelf, but I imagine that throwing a tank of this extra cleaning high-grade fuel on every 4th or 5th fill up can't hurt - but do any of you buy into it actually helping? Could keep things running smoother longer.

Who knows? An extra dollar at the pump every month might be worth it just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So the ad campaign got you after all. :lol Shell has never been a favorite of mine to use. When I had my xt225 I would try the different gas stations to see which gas the bike responde to the best. It would run like crap off shell. Lots of pinging going up steep hills. I'll stick with 76. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I did the same thing, tested a few gas stations to see what one made the bike happy. The place I was getting gas at first made the bike ping and generally run crappy.
I finally settled on BP (amaco) that's about .8 miles away from my house. Seems to run the best in the bike. Tried the same in the cage and it made the pingin go away there as well ..... granted I rarely use the cage anymore, took it to work maybe twice in the past 2-3 months. But Friday looks like it's gonna rain like hell so I have to cage it again :mad:

O yeah, been runnin premium in both bike & cage. I also use the Motul Fuel system cleaner once in a while as well. It's sorta like FI cleaner that STP makes for the car. Also use Motul engine clean every 2-3 oil changes, supposed to be like an oil flush for the cage.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How exactly are you telling if you're pinging? I really haven't noticed any real difference no matter what gas I put in the thing.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I go for the cheapest. If everyone did the same, maybe we can get them to keep the prices lower. __Wishful thinking_:urowned

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've also had horrible results with shell gasoline. You can really tell the difference in an older engine. Chevron=Runs smooth, Shell=rough idle/poor acceleration. I've always used premium Chevron in all my vehicles. Yeah, I know I don't have to, but I actually get better mileage in my '88 Blazer using Chevron premium than any other gasoline (13 mpg hwy vs. 11 mpg hwy).

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I gas up with whatever is closest to me at the time I need gas and I happen to have a gas card for. I regularly use Shell, BP, and 76. I have never had any pinging or bad running problems and I always use regular.

Now I need to get an Exxon credit card and I would be covered by all the major companies...

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Generally all gas comes from the same refinery in your area. The different companies simply differ in the additives they add and the transportation they use from the refinery. As long a station has a high turnover I am confident that the gas is good. I go with the lowest octane needed and the cheapest price available. I am leery about additives. I used to be brand loyal to Shell but now it doesn't matter. I have not experienced any noticeable differences. If you ride 10,000 miles annually and average 45 miles per gallon the increased price you would pay for premium unleaded would be approximately $44 per year. Not exactly a big expense but it is money that I could spend elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cleaning additives in V-Power are actually governmentally required to be put in all gasolines in some level. They don't tell you that ALL gasses clean your engine to some degree, but apparently V-Power has 5 times the minimum required amount (Techron, or similar). If you spend the money on bottles of FI cleaner, I might be more inclined to believe that keeping higher levels of it in the fuel system over the course of the engine's use rather than giving big doses at longer intervals would be more effective for preventing carbon buildup.

While I do some of my own wrenching, I'm a computer geek, and make no claim that anything that I say makes any sense when talking about this kind of thing. :)

I'm not sure, but if gas is anything like the meat industry... I don't think having a steak now and then to deviate from your diet of hotdogs could hurt.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
There is nothing better than seafoam in your gas for keeping the carbon out of your engine. I'm gonna run it through the engine's oil and intake before I get the valves adjusted. Anyone else ever use this stuff?

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Looks like Shell is at it again...

They got caught with lousy additives here in Quebec just a few years back.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?SectionID=3&ArticleID=13

I've never been to Shell since.

Edit: Let's hope nothing happens to Petro-Canada cause I've never been back to Esso/ Exxon neither since the Valdez tragedy. :rolleyes Petro-Can or Ultramar for me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure that taught them their lesson.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
SilverBuzz said:
Generally all gas comes from the same refinery in your area. The different companies simply differ in the additives they add and the transportation they use from the refinery. As long a station has a high turnover I am confident that the gas is good. I go with the lowest octane needed and the cheapest price available. I am leery about additives. I used to be brand loyal to Shell but now it doesn't matter. I have not experienced any noticeable differences. If you ride 10,000 miles annually and average 45 miles per gallon the increased price you would pay for premium unleaded would be approximately $44 per year. Not exactly a big expense but it is money that I could spend elsewhere.
I have two friends who are engineers in the petroleum industry. They told me the same thing - all gas from same refinery, plus different additives.

I am happy enough with any of the leading gas companys, and stay away from noname dealers when riding through small towns.

I use lowest octane most of the time, then through in mid octane every 10th fill up (supposedly for cleaning the engine)?

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
s2cmpugh said:
If Shell is good enough for Ferrari, then its good enough for my Maxima and FZ6.
What to say...

Somewhere, a marketing exec. is jerking off! :eek:nfloor

[Schlack, schlack] ...Thinks that,..[schlack], same gas goes into F1 than in,...[Schlack, schlack, schlack], a f....ng Maxima, [schlack]...Uh, oh AAaaaaaahhhhh.... :pisson

·
Registered
153 Posts
I work at an oil refinery and, yes, we sell it to everyone. We add the good stuff to ours, which is Techron found in Chevron products. I use it, well, mainly cuz I get it free at the refinery :eek:nfloor !! J/K!! We get like 4 cents off when we use our gas credit card. I'd recommend it only cuz it is the best out there due to the fact that I make it and if ya do it'll keep me gainfully employed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I now on my focus SVT if i run below 91 octane i cant get on it very hard due to compression and a few others thinigs it messes up, is 87 ok in our bike? thought we were supposed to run >91 also?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
DJuanHouston said:
I now on my focus SVT if i run below 91 octane i cant get on it very hard due to compression and a few others thinigs it messes up, is 87 ok in our bike? thought we were supposed to run >91 also?
The book calls for 87 octane...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I ran my usual stuff 87 cheapo, then put the 93 Vpower in. Went to the track and lost 3-4 MPH and a few tenths...same 60 foot times....was it the gas or me...not sure but everything else on the bike was the same, launch was the same..it just fell off on the top end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts