Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best helmet for same price (speed r a little bit cheaper)? I have an SV1000 naked bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Try them on if you can and wear them around the shop for 20 minutes to see how they feel to you. Do you know your head shape? (Round or oval, mid oval, etc.) They look to be about the same quality level. You might also want to check out LS2 helmets. Great price point, but very good quality and fit. I'm an oval head guy and have been wearing LS2 helmets for about 10 years now. The higher end helmets I had before were good, but didn't fit as well as the LS2, except for my Arai, which was very expensive and they offer different head shapes to fit most people.

Speed-R has nice venting with an exhaust port. Mid-oval shape. Drop down sun visor, (I love that feature on my helmets). Better for 3/4 and full tuck, in terms of vent design, etc.

Skwal 2 has the lights, but is a little heavier. Not as good of venting. (reduced from the Skwal 1), also has drop down sun visor. Just imho, but the lights look gimmicky to me, and I'd rather have lighter than heavier with lights and battery. I actually thought the Skwal 1 lights looked cooler and more subtle. The 2 looks like early Star Wars from the '80s, to me. :LOL:

Spartan is the replacement for the Speed-R, so more $$. Supposed to have venting designed more for 3/4 to upright riding position rather than full tuck. That might be a factor to consider for you. Also intermediate oval fit. This helmet is suggested to be more a commuter/sport touring helmet. This might work best for your Naked SV1000's rider position. No rear exhaust vent though.

All three are good quality. All three have internal drop down sun visors and pin-lock ready. All are mid-oval fit, though you may feel some differences in fit between each one. The Speed-R has the best venting. But the Spartan venting is better for more upright riding position. The Skwal 2 is the heaviest due to the lights/battery and has the worst venting.

Unless you just have to have the lights, I'd go with the Speed-R. Best features for the money.

Maybe you haven't seen these reviews?

Speed-R -

Spartan -

Skwal-2 -

1 - 2 of 2 Posts