Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you have seen that legendary basketball player George Mikan passed away. Well Shaq offered to pay for his funeral because of his influence on the sport. :dblthumb

MIAMI (AP) -- The family of George Mikan accepted Shaquille O'Neal's offer to pay for the late center's funeral expenses.

O'Neal said arrangements were finalized Friday. ``Everything's going to be handled,'' O'Neal said.

Mikan, the NBA's first dominant big man, died Wednesday night at a rehabilitation center in Scottsdale, Ariz., following a long fight with diabetes and kidney ailments. He was 80.

ADVERTISEMENT

O'Neal said he greatly enjoyed getting to know and speak with Mikan on several occasions. Shortly after the Heat beat Detroit 88-76 in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, O'Neal said he would like to handle the funeral costs.

``I heard they were having some trouble, some problems, so if you contact the Heat office, I would like to pay for the funeral,'' O'Neal said.

O'Neal and Mikan are linked by leading the Lakers franchise to multiple NBA championships; Mikan carried the Minneapolis Lakers to five titles in a six-year span. O'Neal led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive championships from 2000-2002.

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
Shaq does a lot for the community ie. buying Christmas toys for inner city children. I think he's a stellar athlete and an asset to the city of Miami

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snakemann said:
Shaq does a lot for the community ie. buying Christmas toys for inner city children. I think he's a stellar athlete and an asset to the city of Miami
He still goes back to LA do this thing called "Shaq-a-clause" He goes to Toys-R-Us and buy toys for all the kids. then the next day hands out them out. He said, just because i don't live in LA doesn't mean i'm going to stop giving"

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
FYI, because of Mr. George Mikan, goal tending is now illegal in basketball. Looks like Shaq's heart is as big as his feet.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'm not much into the NBA, but every story I have ever seen about Shaq, he is doing the right thing. This is an athlete that kids can look up to and you know it's for all the right reasons. Wish all of them could follow his lead because they really do have an impact on the youth.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Shaq is a class act all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts