Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im in 4th gear slowing down (throttle is completely closed), when the rpm's drop between 5 and 4k, the front end starts shaking REALLY bad. if i have both my hands on the clipons, its fine, but if im going 1 handed i can feel it start to shake. and last night i hovered both my hands over the bars to see how bad it would shake (not the smartest idea), and it eventually went away around 2.5-3k, but it was enough to scare the shit outta me. is the front wheel out of align or is there something else amiss?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Man, you have described the exact same problem I have been dealing with on my 2001. I changed my front tire when I got the bike last year and am not sure if that is when it started. I still have that front tire on the bike but I am changing it next week so I'll let you know if that was the fix.
Also have a slightly bent fork but I am having a friend (Honda Tech) rebuild my forks.
have replaced the front axle and rotor already but that didn't do it. I also made sure my forks were the same height coming out of the triple tree.
If you find the answer please post it here. There are other people looking for the answer as well.
Has your bike ever been down? Have you changed the tire recently?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kazlab67 said:
Has your bike ever been down? Have you changed the tire recently?
never at speed. was dropped by me twice when i got it, and 2 times by the pervious owner. all 4 times at a standstill, so i dont think the forks would be bent. its jsut weird that it only happens at certain rpm's.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Yeah I narrowed it down to that same RPM range. I asked the Honda Techs where I have my tires replaced to check it and they said "yeah it shakes but they do that." I'm convinced it's my tire.
You may want to take off your handlebar risers and make sure the forks are the same height. Mine were off by about 6mm when I first got the bike, my friend and I figured that would be the problem and we corrected the height difference but the front still shook. The bike will ride straight but the shake feels F'd up. People always say "Just don't take your hands off the grips".
My bike has been down numerous times between the 4 riders who started riding on it. I not only caused it to lowside at high speed, it also flew through the air and flipped end over end...but it shook before that.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the tire might need balancing, I had that as a problem once.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
21 natas said:
the tire might need balancing, I had that as a problem once.
ive had car tires that were out of balance, and it caused a shake at any speed, just varied depending on the speed. this only happens at a certain rpm range.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
BuRn__ said:
ive had car tires that were out of balance, and it caused a shake at any speed, just varied depending on the speed. this only happens at a certain rpm range.
It's very likely that an out-of-balance tire will shake only at certain road speeds or only above a certain road speed. Is it totally engine speed dependent or road speed dependent?

If road speed, suspect the tire balance. If really engine speed, it may be engine vibration induced. The front forks may somehow have a natural frequency related to engine vibration at certain rpms. Might also want to check that all front end bolts are tight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine...front tire looked good with decent tread left...air pressure was right...couldnt figure it out til I bought a set of michelin road pilots...problem solved

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the tire was out of balance, wouldnt it tend to "hop" more than "shake"? cuz the front tire will shake to the left and right very rapidly.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
BuRn__ said:
if the tire was out of balance, wouldnt it tend to "hop" more than "shake"? cuz the front tire will shake to the left and right very rapidly.
Not necessarily. The vibration could be up/down or left/right. You might also check if the wheel is true. While spinning freely and steering held in one position (like on a front stand or wheel on a balancing machine), does the edge of the wheel move side-to-side compared to a fixed reference?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts