Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help figuring this out I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or what.

ok I found what I think is a damn good deal on a new 2013 R6. so I called the place to ask about it. after I started thinking about it I can't figure out how they come up with the tax. here's the figures I was given. none of the numbers are adding up for me.

first I'm not really concerned about the financing part. just how he comes up with $620 in taxes
2013 R6 0 miles
bike price $8599. before taxes but after title n crap.
so the payments are $149 for 72 months. 10728 (4.99%)
he said the taxes are 6.25% and come to 620.
that's less than the full amount paid off is but more than the purchase price
it's almost as if he calculated it on the taxed amount. which puts it pretty closer but still far below 620.

I pulled out my other bike's paperwork and it's not taxed like this. the total purchase price is almost the same and the taxes are over $100 less. I know the sales tax rate is not that much higher from 2003.
8194 and 491.64 taxes 6%

what am I not understanding? how in the F is he coming up with 620? the only thing I can think of is he's not telling me the full amount that the bike cost otd

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
He's charging you tax on $9920. Maybe the original price? Maybe a mistake or they're trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of you. The actual tax should be $537.45.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that's what I was coming up with but now I need to know why. they open a 9 so I'm going to call.
I really want the bike and all but I'm not going to drive 3 hrs and find out they're jacking up the price.
they're known locally to be a great place to buy from and will work out deals.
I mean they're selling it for $2600 off msrp. all the local boys are like nope, mrsp plus tax and all the other bs prep fees they're not supposed to be charging per the manufactures' agreements according to a sales guy on another forum

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Is that Gator? I wouldn't call Gator crooked. Slanted a mite but not really crooked.
Gator has to eat. Not sure if there is a Mrs Gator but if so, I'll bet she eats too. If there is a Mrs Gator you can bet a smooth talker like Gator has pumped out his share of little Gators.
Gator making a few bucks on the deal sheet isn't the point. Hungry Gators shouldn't matter one way or the other to you. All you should care about is how light your wallet is when you ride off into the sunset. If you can ride off with a heavier wallet someplace else, go there. They really want your bidness.
It's all about getting out the door at the lowest price. Do you think you are the only R6 buyer that knows a good deal when they see it?
Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Here is how you squeeze that last nickle out without being a butt about it;
Swing by Wal-Mart and pick up a two pack of calculator batteries. A couple of bucks. Get the wrong kind if you remember what was being used. That way you can return them to wally world later.
Hand them to your salesperson and say; " I think the batteries are low in your calculator. I tried to match your numbers and couldn't". The salesperson will either sit you down and explain the numbers, which means that is the way they do it and you are not getting 'special' treatment or they will ask you to wait while "the girl in the office checks the numbers". If they were working the deal sheet, they will come back with a new one.
This is non-confrontational, with any blame (nothing really happened, since you haven't taken delivery yet) shunted off where it can be ignored. Most of the time(unless you have been showing your ass) you will get what you want. You are, after all, the customer and you have proven to be a wise customer. Those are both rare and valued in the sales bizz.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yea his math is way off. I'd ask him about that one. I had bought a 2013 focus and the guy pulled a bunch of "bad math"on me. I recalculated what he had wrote down right in front of him. His not looking me in the eye after was my clue that his miscalculations were intentional. I bought it anyways, but nice try buddy. No I don't need your business card.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Called him back. It was the tax on the price with a 5 year warranty. And my taxes are actually 6.75% fuck you Cincinnati and our shifty football stadium that made it that high

15 title 95 prep fee. Will try to negotiate on that 95. But I committed to buying it. Going to go get it next sat.

Really want a r1 but he didn't have one left cus he sells them for 10800. Every local place bottom price is 12500 before tax and crap.

Dealer is Honda east of toledo. Highly recommend them. Www.hondaeasttoledo.com

·
Registered
848 Posts
It took me a while to find a good dealership that was honest.

My local who generally took good care of me wanted more then what I wanted to pay and would not budge much.

motocorsa/turn2 in Portland were scumbags and played BS games with me.

I called 3 hours from home and a Sunnyvale Ca Ducati made my deal easy, everything was up and up with them. no lies or BS.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

that's the yamaha financing stuff. 4.99% for 72 months. it does not go up after a promotional period ends.
that isn't all that bad to be honest. so with the actual price and taxes that's a $148 a month payment which comes to 1463 interest.
my credit union is only offering 3.99% for 60 months. which is $500 cheaper in interest.

credit unions aren't really any better than a normal bank to be honest. not sure what the rave is about.

you didn't even read the thread dummy. that's where I'm buying it at. lol my figures I posted were what he said to me on the phone but I didn't realize he just slipped in the 5 year warranty bs without asking me. the figures are about 1500 less and the tax rate is actually 6.75%. thanks to our fucking loser football team got the city to pay for
they have one left a grey one. after I get the blue one

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I think the point that was being brought up is it's a bit silly to finance toys. Especially when you seem perfectly happy coughing up $2K in interest, but bitch about $80 in taxes (don't get me wrong, I like to deconstruct the voodoo they pull as well).

I've never taken a 6 year note on a _car_. Hell, if I hadn't been laid off, our house would've been paid off in 12-13 years. As it is, it's basically paid off in 15.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not sure what everyone's hang up is about loans. the whole economy works off this kind of thing. I bet your employer has a line of credit they use for payroll.

I don't plan on letting them get their full interest amount. I like to let them offer the lowest min payment.

you're not taking your money with you when you die. stop being so anal about the shit.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
not sure what everyone's hang up is about loans. the whole economy works off this kind of thing. I bet your employer has a line of credit they use for payroll.

I don't plan on letting them get their full interest amount. I like to let them offer the lowest min payment.

you're not taking your money with you when you die. stop being so anal about the shit.
Heh. Well, at the moment, my wife works for a bank (underwriting), and I work through my own S-corp as a computer network guy (cisco stuff) and generally get paid on a net45.

As to loans...there's a delicate balance. Yes, the economy depends on people spending...but people spending more than they have puts them at risk. No, you can't take it with you when you die, but I don't want to work until the day I die, either. My wife and I are under 45, and while we've forgone a lot of the luxuries some have availed themselves of, we probably have enough stashed away for retirement that with a reasonable economy we don't necessarily need to add another penny to our investments and we can still retire well before 65.

I don't know you and I don't know your situation, but if, for the sake of argument, you're sitting at 35-45 and living paycheck to paycheck and having to finance an $8K motorcycle purchase you're really setting yourself up for a fucked up retirement.

I'm not saying we're rolling in dough and I'm not lighting cigars with benjamins...but seriously, even if social security fails before we get there, it's kinda gonna be "Eh. Oh well. Would've been nice." We both came from nothing. Y'know those microapartment government housing things you see on TV about Hong Kong? That's where she grew up. My parents split when I was ~ 12 because my dad was a deadbeat. Pretty safe to say we're gonna be pretty well off by the time we retire.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
you just said exactly what I knew you'd say.

you gave up some things in life....and I promis you when you are dying in your bed you'd wish you had done all those things because at the end of the day that's the ONLY thing that matters.
your last breath isn't going to be full of nothing but a regret of stuff you didn't do because you focused on being debt free for no reason

I just look at the glass a little different than most.

btw, I have a home, I have paid off vehicles, my only debt is utility bills.

btw, have you gave up internet and a cell phone? luxuries are wasteful and should be put into your retirement

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
And 60 months @ 3.99% is way better than 4.99% for 72. But it's your money.

But if you act now, I will personlly offer you 10% at 120 months. Limited time offer. Hurry!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ah, you're reading too deep in order to justify your opinion.

I/we really didn't give up much. My wife would say nothing, but...

Bought a '95 Z28 new in '95. Bought a demo model Aprilia RSV Mille in '01. Have a skydiving rig that I've jumped a coupla hundred times. I've chased down and lived a few childhood dreams. About the only thing I haven't done that I want to do in life is a pilot's license...and that might still happen yet, especially if I get back to working full time.

No, it's more the frivolous things we haven't wasted money on....I've got some friends who smoke....at a pack or two a day per person, you're almost talking about rent / mortgage right there. I'm a moderate drinker at worst and she doesn't drink at all...and neither of us smoke. That's a huge savings right there. Add to that we lived on cheap cellphones for quite a while (both on smartphones now)....usually not wasted $ on pay TV, etc. Our mortgage has almost been paid for by being non-smokers who don't have $150 a month cable bills.

The biggest thing we haven't done...is kids...and that's a whole separate discussion.

My only regrets about the choices I've made in life have almost nothing to do with money I have or haven't spent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts