Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
jk,
what level of mechanical aptitude is required for this project?

i can do the basic maintenance (change oil, plugs), and more importantly, follow instructions well.

will i be okay doing this w/out screwing up the '07 gsxr 600?

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
hmm, sounds pretty simple. so what exactly is the purpose of the set valve. from what i understand (please correct me if i'm wrong) the purpose is to control the sound waves coming from the exhaust side of the engine. it changes the shape of the exhaust to make the bouncing sound waves return at the correct time (kinda like why a two stroke exhaust has a specific shape). so if im correct on that assumption, what are the possible consequences of taking away this valve?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
It's basically a sound reducing device. The US EPA and several other nations' regulator bodies require a 'pass through' noise test, as well as stationary noise requirements. Suzuki, and others, have found a way to pass these tests without significantly hurting performance by closing this exhaust chamber valve at strategic moments commensurate with test requirements.

To pass these tests without this type of valve would require a far more restrictive and power robbing exhaust system.

The sell this device to the consumer as a 'power enhancing feature' to discourage it's removal, or at least to discourage it's disdain.

In fact, it has been shown on the dyno that this type of obstruction in the exhaust collector does not enhance power, but does in fact diminish it to some degree.

If it was a true power enhancer, every racing motorcycle and every aftermarket pipe bender would have them installed on their equipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this mod tonight after I got out of work and it took me about 15 min. I didnt really notice a difference in the sound but then again it was still in my garage..its was raining outside. One question, when I take my bike in to get serviced, should I reconnect everything to stock so they wont mess with me about the warranty? By the way, awesome directions a:cheers nd pix!!

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
well i did the mod today.... and now my bike doesn't start. the tach goes up to redline and back (like normal). the fuel injection sound starts up and cuts out when the needle reaches redline. then the fi light blinks. so i'm a little fucking pissed off right now. followed the directions. first i set the valve so it was open, then i disconnected the connectors to the actuator. then i took the black connector of the ecu off, took off the fifth wire from the right on the bottom (which was not black and brown btw). it didn't start. so i put it all back together the way it was and it still won't start. i don't think i fucked up any of the connectors, i inspected them and they look fine. so i guess i'm gonna have a fucking wonderful time tomorrow digging through that shit trying to figure out what the hell went wrong.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having a problem, bro! Countless people have done this mod with no issues at all. I suspect you might have clipped the wrong wire? It should be a Black wire with Brown stripe, but the most important thing is the wire connector number.

Or maybe the harness isn't tightly connected.

You did unplug the BLACK wiring harness connector, not the grey one...
Number 30 is on the bottom when connected, 5 wires over from the far right end. Double check that it says #30 on the connector. You might have been looking at it upside-down?

Is everything reconnected properly? Harness tightly connected?
There's no reason why the bike shouldn't start if everything was done the right way! The only function of the #30 wire is to signal the instrument panel of a faulty SET valve.

You might want to check with genes81 or kazlab67 and have them walk you through it. kazlab67 just did this mod with no problems. Let us know.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344443

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
jk750 said:
Sorry to hear you're having a problem, bro! Countless people have done this mod with no issues at all. I suspect you might have clipped the wrong wire? It should be a Black wire with Brown stripe, but the most important thing is the wire connector number.

Or maybe the harness isn't tightly connected.

You did unplug the BLACK wiring harness connector, not the grey one...
Number 30 is on the bottom when connected, 5 wires over from the far right end. Double check that it says #30 on the connector. You might have been looking at it upside-down?

Is everything reconnected properly? Harness tightly connected?
There's no reason why the bike shouldn't start if everything was done the right way! The only function of the #30 wire is to signal the instrument panel of a faulty SET valve.

You might want to check with genes81 or kazlab67 and have them walk you through it. kazlab67 just did this mod with no problems. Let us know.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344443
i got it figured out, i was looking at it upside down. so the wire i pulled was actually to the tip over sensor (obviously the bike doesn't start with it not connected). it was kind of a bitch to get it back in there and make contact with the male end of the connector. but i got it in there, the correct wire is pulled now and everything is working fine.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
sexybikerpimp, glad you got it up and running again! :dblthumb

Now we know what that other wire is for. Yep, that'll definitely prevent the bike from running. :lol

Post up what you think of the mod after riding with it for a few days. Do you notice a difference, is it worth while?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
genes81 said:
Hey jk750, I know this is the wrong thread for this, but what are your thoughts on the TRE mod? Worth is or not?
That depends... I have them installed on both of my bikes. Never rode the 600 without it, so I don't know. Made a noticeable difference on my 1k.

Probably not much difference on a 600... You can start a thread about it if you want to discuss it further.

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
jk750 said:
sexybikerpimp, glad you got it up and running again! :dblthumb

Now we know what that other wire is for. Yep, that'll definitely prevent the bike from running. :lol

Post up what you think of the mod after riding with it for a few days. Do you notice a difference, is it worth while?
yes, i think it is worth while. the sound is an improvement for sure. as far as increasing power i haven't noticed anything. maybe a little more smooth. but its a mod i've been wondering how to do for a while. i messed up the set valve pretty bad in september at the track so its been zip tied and duct taped together at times. glad to finally have it off. and it should make installation of a full system a breeze. so yeah, thanks jk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My bike didnt like this mod at all..It was louder but the rpms wouldnt get up over 6500-7000..I called the dealer and they told me the only thing they could think of was that they overserviced my engine with oil, or the exhaust control valve was not working and it wasnt creating enough back pressure to make the power....the oil level was fine and sure enough, I put the mods back to stock and it ran like a champ...not sure why it did this, I know the set valve was in the open position, i counted the cycles and I even took off my exhaust to make sure I did it right..oh well!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts