Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Involved
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a long ride up the CA 1 coast yesterday. I think it was 80 miles each way.

After our stop for lunch the right base of my neck really hurts when I look either way. Its inside my trap muscle if that helps. Sleeping last night was not easy, I had to lay flat with no pillow.

Is this just a getting used to thing or maybe caused from bad bike posture?

During out ride we did have a wreck and was the rider behind him. I thought I tweaked it getting off my bike fast to help the guy out. Probably just from riding in that position for so long.

What can I do? I was thinking bout getting a massage.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I ride on many 3 hour plus rides on my bike and never have had the pain in those places. I used to get wrist pain, which doesn't seem to happen anymore and I still get leg cramps sometimes on rides over 3 hrs. If you keep riding alot must muscles will get used to the actions and the pain will disappear.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Yeah, riding is not your problem, you pulled a muscle.

Get a massage, see a chiropractor if you know a good one.

The only way riding would be giving you pains like that, would be if you are death gripping the bars and stiff arming the bike all the time...do you get any hand or forearm soreness while riding?

·
Involved
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, riding is not your problem, you pulled a muscle.

Get a massage, see a chiropractor if you know a good one.

The only way riding would be giving you pains like that, would be if you are death gripping the bars and stiff arming the bike all the time...do you get any hand or forearm soreness while riding?
umm....a little sore in the forearms this morning. I think I may have not been as relaxed as I should have been. I'm going to hit up the gym and see if I can help it...if not I will get my first ever massage asap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are not used to riding long distances and possibly your neck hurts from holding your head forward against the wind especially on highway type speeds. If you continue to ride longer rides you will get used to it as the muscles develop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Only time i get any neck pain is with a passenger. Like VDub said probaly tensed up. Every now and then i sit up and loosen up alittle on the bike while im riding. I do alot of 3-4 hour rides without stops.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Yeah, on an FZ6 with the factory bars and risers, if you are getting forearm soreness, you are probably gripping the bars too hard, and keeping your arms too stiff.

Do you lock your elbows when you are cruising along (not turning)?

If so, try to break that habit...keep your elbows bent and lean forward a tad. Gripping the bike with your thighs, and locking into the pegs with your feet should be how you "hold" onto the bike, the bars are just for steering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't experienced any neck pain riding. My wrist and hands still get numb relatively quick though. Also got a cramp in my left butt cheek the other day riding and that was not fun at all.:)

Bill3508

·
I didn't do it.
95 Posts
I've got a shit-load of dicked-up vertibrae in my neck. (Probably from a bike collision with a '53 Buick back in 1980.) Makes mine hurt like a bitch. Occasionaly, I have to get epidurals in the back of the neck.
If this continues, see your doctor for some tests. (Don't forget to study.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
umm....a little sore in the forearms this morning. I think I may have not been as relaxed as I should have been. I'm going to hit up the gym and see if I can help it...if not I will get my first ever massage asap.
Happy ending?

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
I agree with a lot of people saying that it's probably due to being tensed up a bit, esp since you had a rider go down.

But I'd like to add that I get this sometimes too, and it's worse on my FZ6 than my other bike which has more agressive ergos therefore my neck is bent more, but there is no windscreen. I think the windscreen causes some buffeting that contributes to this (not causes it, tenseness causes it) for riders of certain height.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Try stopping often also, say 1hr - 1 1/2hr. I also vary my riding pos a lot on longer trips, from hanging my feet off the rear pegs and laying on the tank to putting my feet on the frame sliders, though that makes my butt hurt in short order.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've had this happen before. Usually on 6+ hour trips. I found it was from being too tense. It took about 2 weeks before I felt 100% better. Once I figured out what was going on I started working out how to avoid it.

1. Take breaks.
2. Make sure you keep your elbows and arms loose, including your grip. I wiggle my elbows every 10 minutes or so to make sure my arms are loose.
3. Roll you head and neck, and shoulder around every now and then to loosen them up and make sure you're not building tension there.

Since I've started paying attention to this I can tell the first twinges of the pain now and realize that I've got to do the above.
Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My traps hurt after about 6 hours in the saddle if I haven't been riding at least once a week. This is from holding your helmet up which is largely done with these muscles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts