Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
type of bike:1993 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E

so tuesday i was riding my bike to the shop to have the exhaust changed from the stock dual which sounded bad to a vance&hines which now sounds really good..to give a little history on the bike. i bought it about 2 months ago and it had been sitting for about 3 years. the guy who owned it, an older dude, rode it 6 times in the past 3 years thus leaving it sitting the rest of the time. when i bought the bike i had it tuned up, oil changed, checked out. i got it back it rode nice.

until........

ok so my trip to the garage was going good for about 45 minutes when all the sudden the bike dies. i mean, dies. i was cruising at 4500rpm and then it dropped to 0. so im like, 'ok'. i let it cool for like 8 minutes, it started again and like maybe a mile down the road it did it again. so it ended up doing this about 9 times before i actually got to the shop and consequently i had to let it cool down each time before i could move again. when i was about 200 feet from the shop it just plain DIED again and i rolled in.

so i called the mechanic the next day to see if they had found out what the problem was. he had told me that since my bike was basically going to be stripped to get to the carbs/headers that finding the problem should be easy.
his answer to my dilemma was dirty carbs and that was that.

so i go back there today to pick it up. i pay and im pretty excited with the way it sounds so im cruising at a good speed, you know-enjoying the ride.
i get about 45 minutes into the ride and it dies. no sputtering, nothing gradual-it just dies. so anyways, it does this about 5 times before i get into a town thats still like 30 minutes from my house. i call a buddy of mine, he calls kawasaki. they say it sounds like its the kickstand sensor and that the bike is reading that the kickstand is down while its in motion, therefore shutting the bike down. so he tells me that they said to cut the lines from that sensor and splice them together. well i cut open the wirewrap to get to the two wires and theres water or some kind of fluid in there. it didnt have a smell so i assume that it was stagnant water or something. i do that and it rides for about 15 minutes and then dies just like every other time.

so anyways. 1 hour later and after breaking down and one of my buddies showing up i get it to the garage where i work at to store it overnite...

when we got the garage i looked inside the fairing and noticed that the cooling fan was definitely melted a little bit. i am no mechanic but i would assume that this sort of thing is not normal.
i also noticed that the brand new muffler i have on my bike has a dent in the underside.

does anyone have any ideas to what my problem might be???
it would help me out immensely...

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
This belongs in "help me fix it"?

Anyway, it sounds electrical to me. Carbs or petcock would be a more gradual death. I doubt a mechanical failure would come back like that. Overheating might be it, but again I think it'd be more gradual.

The kickstand switch does sound like a possibility. Make sure you have the right wires: put it on the center stand in gear and run it, then open those wires and make sure it dies. Then splice them back together and make sure it runs. And solder them together, just to make sure. There might also be a break/corroded connection elsewhere.

It could also be a bad or corroded kill switch.

Or, simplest of all (and I had this happen on my TLS) are corroded battery contacts. Take them off, and scrape them until they shine. Same with the battery terminals. Do this first, since it's the easiest.

When it dies, try checking for spark. It's not that big a deal to move the tank over by the side of the road...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah i tried the kickstand switch and it kept dying...

also, i forgot to mention that sometimes when it dies i have to pull the clutch in just for it to turn over...

·
Registered
525 Posts
The melted fan is probably because of the new header. It's not uncommon for an aftermarket exhaust to be just a little closer to the fan, or thinner walled metal that allows more heat to reach the surrounding area. I doubt it's related to the bike dying.
It still sounds like the kickstand switch. As enos said, maybe the wire has a break in it parther up in th harness. I'd trace the wires as far back as you can and splice them together there to see if it fixes it.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
electrical all the way. almost sounds like my former problem, check that battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts