Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...let's say you are at a stop sign, turning onto a busy highway, and you want to accelerate quickly. You are not racing, but you do not want the redneck (in this case) driving the Ford F-150 you pulled out in front of to run up your ass...and he will if you let him. My question is: given that typical scenario, at what RPM do you shift out of first gear? This is not a race...let's say the situation calls for "above-average" acceleration.

Is it better to shift earlier into second, or, better to wind out into the higher RPM's before you shift into second? Where is the most efficient point - creating the fastest speed - to shift?

Should I ask it another way? :lol

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If I am accelerating quickly into traffic, I will run it up to 10 or 11K through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd or until I am moving ahead of traffic

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I usually get up to around 6-7K before shifting to 2nd ..... then scream it up to 12k before I shift to 3rd. I try to get outta 1st before I hit 20mph, but thats just because I usually get a crappy shift from 1st-2nd at high speeds.

Everybody will probably give a different speed or RPM that they shift outta 1st at ... but getting the RPM's high before shifting will probably be common.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Optimal acceleartion for performance and longevity of the machinery comes from shifting the bike (or anything for that matter) and the RPM where you have MAX torque... in our case anywhere around the 10ish to 13ish range (given this is not a race condition as you mention). Of course I rarely do this as you can get a bit of speed up, but in those cases you mention, I hit around those ranges. Just around town, I shift like greatzippy.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you're in a really big hurry, throttle it until it hits the rev limiter then, without the clutch, snap it into 2nd...repeat until you run out of gears. This should get you somwhere into the high 140's! LOL

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If it's not a race, you can actually stay on first gear to get away and rev her up until short of the red line--Now, if he's still up your ass by the time you reach the speed limit, you should pull over and let him pass.. or start racing!!! :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
If you're in a really big hurry, throttle it until it hits the rev limiter then, without the clutch, snap it into 2nd...repeat until you run out of gears. This should get you somwhere into the high 140's! LOL
And if that #dam# Ford F-150 is still on your tail, then you better pull on over.

:beer

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I usually run up to 12-13k. That puts me above the flat spot in the power curve when I hit 2nd gear. Nothing worse when you're in a hurry than shifting into 2nd early and feeling the bike lag a bit before the power kicks in again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
fraggle1 said:
I usually run up to 12-13k. That puts me above the flat spot in the power curve when I hit 2nd gear. Nothing worse when you're in a hurry than shifting into 2nd early and feeling the bike lag a bit before the power kicks in again.
+1

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
+ you get to make a whole lot of noise doing this, even with the stock exhausts. :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Be careful of going to the rev limiter tho... I had an interesting ride one time I was catching up with the pack after a self declared bathroom break on a long trip...

Ran everything up to 13k before shifting and I got to 5th and was going 136mph indicated when all of the sudden the bike started going forward and back, surging and dipping - I looked down and had run past 14k and the engine just dropped off, then would catch itself, then drop off - it was really scary (I was very happy I had just gone to the restroom or else there would have been a mess)

So... be wary of the limiter, unless you are constipated and need some relief.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I don't suggest doing this to anyone else, but I can use the rev limiter to blip the engine and change gear without releasing the throttle. Your timing must be perfect and gotta know the FZ6 well enough to actually use its characteristics to your advantage when needed.

[edit] I'm actually just realizing how to ride this baby and how I may ride it to its capabilities. With all the technological advancement put into it, she's got a lot more to put out if the rider gets to intimately know her inner workings and use the limits put on in the design to the rider's full advantage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ADalways said:
at what RPM do you shift out of first gear?
Is it better to shift earlier into second, or, better to wind out into the higher RPM's before you shift into second? Where is the most efficient point - creating the fastest speed - to shift? [/FONT]
The optimum shift point for max acceleration on the 1-2 shift is 14,000rpm. If you need another gear the optimum 2-3 shift is 13,400rpm.

That assumes you have plenty of traction which isn't always true.

Be careful near those redneck drivers...they only know how to turn left.

·
Registered
109 Posts
segue00 said:
If it's not a race, you can actually stay on first gear to get away and rev her up until short of the red line--Now, if he's still up your ass by the time you reach the speed limit, you should pull over and let him pass.. or start racing!!! :eek:nfloor
If he's still up your ass, I would make a mental note about not pulling out infront of people anymore. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
04Fizzer said:
For the most part.
I have switched lanes with it off the ground a few times. The bikes attitude is greatly affected by riding position. Weight the bars and the fronts stays put. Shifht your weight back and it will get on up pretty easily. If you like wheelies the bike will oblige.

·
Registered
80 Posts
segue00 said:
I don't suggest doing this to anyone else, but I can use the rev limiter to blip the engine and change gear without releasing the throttle. Your timing must be perfect and gotta know the FZ6 well enough to actually use its characteristics to your advantage when needed.

[edit] I'm actually just realizing how to ride this baby and how I may ride it to its capabilities. With all the technological advancement put into it, she's got a lot more to put out if the rider gets to intimately know her inner workings and use the limits put on in the design to the rider's full advantage.
This is true with any ride, 90% rider and 10% bike unless it's a Ninja or GSX 500. Poor attempts at poser bikes in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts