Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

That time has come, I'm selling my bike (most likely). I'm about to put my 02 Interceptor (VFR 800) up for sale. However, I'm a little concerned about giving people test rides. I bought my bike from a dealership, so I didn't have this experience...but what do you do about test rides?

Is it typical for an interested party to want to test ride the bike before buying? I would imagine so, but I know that most dealers won't give you a test ride. So is it expected? I rather not give test rides, but would anybody buy the bike if I refused?

Here are the issues I have:
1. Will they drop, dump, destroy the bike?
2. Will they steal it? It's not like I can go along with them.
3. Will I get joy riders?
4. I'm not sure what my insurance will cover in VA.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this topic.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
270 Posts
If was was about to buy a bike I would definately want a test ride...so if if was selling a bike I would:
Ask for their car keys when they take a ride. That way if they dump it or steal it you're covered (unless the car is also stolen?!?!). Joy riders...ask to see some cash first, no cash = no ride. Call your ins. company and find out what they cover.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I test rode mine and wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't have (I needed to know it was running okay, no steering problems, gears shifted fine, etc). The just let me get on with a verbal agreement that if I dump it, I bought it.

1) They may wreck it - may only let experienced riders test it out.
2) They may try to steal it. Hold something of theirs during the test ride - perhaps their wallet, or the keys to the cage they showed up on.
3) You probably won't get many joy riders - that would happen more at a dealer offering test rides. Talk plenty of business before allowing a ride - this will help weed out the turds.
4) Check on your insurance policy - some policies will cover other riders.

5) Write up a waiver and have the person sign it before riding. Include how damages will be covered (they buy the bike is the easiest), how medical expenses would be covered (they pay all is simple enough), limit the top speed allowed (write in 50mph and if they wreak going faster, cops can generally tell - now they violated the terms and are more responsible for it than you).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. These are things that I considered, but I thought I was being to strict. I thought I would scare people away. However, if you guys are thinking the same thing I am, it must be expect :) I just don't want to come off as turd myself :)

X

·
0 Posts
I just sold my old bike a few weeks ago. One of the questions asked was if they could take a test ride. I asked if they had a current full cycle endorsment. Since they only had a temp permit I declined the ride. If they did have a license, I would make a copy of it on my printer. have them sign a waiver stating they are responsible for all costs in the event of damage. Have a route planned out that they will stick to like around the block or up the street and back. And if you have another bike, ride with them. Or follow in your car. Most likely if they have a license, they aren't out joy riding.

Worked out that they bought the bike anyway, and I dropped it off at the new owners house. They didn't have any gear with them so I offered to deliver it if they gave me a ride home.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fast Glass said:
I just sold my old bike a few weeks ago. One of the questions asked was if they could take a test ride. I asked if they had a current full cycle endorsment. Since they only had a temp permit I declined the ride. If they did have a license, I would make a copy of it on my printer. have them sign a waiver stating they are responsible for all costs in the event of damage. Have a route planned out that they will stick to like around the block or up the street and back. And if you have another bike, ride with them. Or follow in your car. Most likely if they have a license, they aren't out joy riding.
That's good advice, it's what I'd do......

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
All the above is great advice. Hold their keys, and drivers liscense at miniumum, and make sure they have their endorsement.

I personally, would never buy a used bike without a test ride first.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Sell the bike (cash only) on the condition that a test ride proves it to be OK. Basically write up the bill of sale, collect the money, and give them 30 minutes (or whatever time makes sense) to return the bike in the same condition as it left for a refund. You might wait to sign the title over to them until they return.

This may sound too restrictive, but the seller has way more to lose than turning off some flaky "buyers".

·
Registered
839 Posts
when I bought my bike from the guy, I had done alot of research to see what to look for so you can have a really good indication of the condition of the bike without riding it. mabye if you have a sheet printed out of those things and go over the bike with the possible buyer they will feel comfortabe buying the bike without a test ride. Just a thought. But if they don't I would hold onto their license for sure.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
what i have done with any vehicle is (and i have a copy of this on my computer to print when needed) have them sign a responsibility of damage waiver. Basically it says you hold their $$ IN FULL by the way until they return, this $$ will not be returned until you complete an inspection on the condition of the bike for damage or in the event it is crashed then the bike is now theirs. Happened to me while selling a dirtbike...guy lost control and beefed it....therefore he owned it....he tried to say he was scared of it and didnt want it, i told him "best of luck selling it then brother its yours now" and walked away....he had signed the waiver relieving him of his money for my (or his now) damaged bike. It pays to be prepared. Joy riders dont usually come with cash in hand.....if they ask to ride it see all cash and hold said money while they ride....the best thing with cashg though is if they wanna be an asshoole about it......lol.....well cash is not marked and there is NO way to prove the cash was EVER theirs, the bike is STILL registered to you therefoire its yours too.....just food for thought.....possession is 9/10 of the law, the police cannot make ytou give the guy his $$ back as he will have no real proof....:) just do shit right and if he flounders after he wrecks it remind him of this fact :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
alright i got a question: say they look like a very experienced rider, so you allow them to ride for awhile........

now during the course of the ride, someone pulls out or turns DIRECTLY in front of them and there is nothing they can do to avoid a crash, so the person ends up hurt, the bike is severely damaged, and all the witnesses say it's the car's fault...........well, who takes that loss??

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I would be too worried about being sued if the potential buyer crashes the bike and hurts himself. It may not actually make it through the courts but the legal fees and all that B.S. would be not be fun.

I like the idea about taking the guys money, if he doesn't like the bike and there is no damage done, he gets the money back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I was selling my ninja 250 I let them test ride it cause it had already been down several times before I bought it. I wouldn't let anyone test the bike i'm selling now unless they give me cash before they ride it.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Have them meet you in a big empty parking lot maybe. Of course then they'd have oil spots to deal with. Writing up some kind of waiver would be cool though. Prolly ca nfind one at a local dealership to copy. Carmax has a 5 day return policy type thing that might work if you modify it a little.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
It depends on the person and if I know them. I will let someone test ride a bike if they give me the cash for the bike while they test it out though.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Only if they have cash on-hand, which basically means they bust it, they bought it, and you can just take their cash right then and there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Forget the verbal agreement. Print out a few written agreaments. If they drop it, scratch it, crash it they will agree to buy it and pay it off in XXX amount of time.

That is my plan for when i want to upgrade to my 636.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea.. I let someone test ride my ZX-7R before purchase...

I never saw it, or him again. (a true, and long story)

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Black7R, tell the story, I'm curious for my own reference.

From a buyers view, I've bought 2 bikes. The first one, I hadn't ridden a ton on the street and I told the seller that. He road it up and down the street infront of me so I could here it run and watch and listen for noises, etc. This isn't the same, but definately offer that as an option if you aren't comfortable with them riding it. The other bike I bought I was with my father. I had some experience at that point, but I was just coming off a wreck and still healing\gun shy. My dad has been riding since he was 16, and the seller was cool enough to let my dad take it around the block. I stood there with our car, so the guy knew I was going anywhere with it. He also just gave the quick verbal of you break it, you bought it. Well we didn't break it, but we did buy it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts