Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal, I hope to sell my bike next week and with the money I get from that I plan on investing in my truck. My friends dad is a mechanic so he will have all the tools to do a rebuild. Only problem is I've never done a rebuild on a small block chevy. I have some mechanical knowledge but i'm just a little nervous about tearing into my trucks motor. I can't decide if it would be better to take it to a shop and pay rediculous per/hr rates or just risk doing it myself. I know they make a book that takes you through step by step but I'm just not sure. Any opinions?

And what is the best rebuild kit to get? I'm not doing any Hi-performance just a basic rebuild so I will have a dependable truck for the next few years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rebuilding is really not all that hard. You will want something that lists torque specs for bearings and what not, as those are fairly critical to a decent motor life. Any auto parts store should be able to hook you up with what you need as far as bearings and gaskets (read kit). If you do most of your own work, rebuilding the motor is a fun challenge.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would, especially seeing as how you want this to be a daily driver when you are done. The more up front stuff you take care of, the less problems you'll encounter in the future. As long as the block's all straight, you should be ok to put it back together.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts