Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 95 zx6e from a guy nearby for 2500 May 30th. I asked him several times on the phone and in person whether he had a clean title on hand, and he said yes.

Apparently along with multiple other things he lied about he lost the title somewhere. Not a big problem, all he needs to do is reapply for one right? Well the dipshit has not yet applied for one, and its June 14th! And of course convenient for me he is out of state until this Friday the 17th.

My question is, what options do I have? The license plate on the bike has expired tags and I really want to ride the bike. Are temporary tags available? Can I get away with expired tags since I just bought the bike? How long will it take to get a duplicate title once the retard applies for one? Who wants to help me kick his ass?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I can't resist asking this, but if he said he had a clean title on hand, why didn't you get it with the bike when you handed him the cash? No title = no deal.

Each state is different. Call up your DMV and ask them what you can do. For all you know, the bike is stolen.

·
Registered
418 Posts
RayOSV said:
I can't resist asking this, but if he said he had a clean title on hand, why didn't you get it with the bike when you handed him the cash? No title = no deal.

Each state is different. Call up your DMV and ask them what you can do. For all you know, the bike is stolen.
WOW.... ++++1

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RayOSV said:
Ray, I've asked myself that question many times. Basically, it boils down to this: I wanted the bike quickly, the bike market is really bad here especially in the middle of the summer, I ignored the voice in the back of my head that said "danger,danger", and I believed him.

I've learned a lot of life lessons on this purchase for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my defense though, I knew his place of work at an airport and I got a bill of sale from him. I'm not worried about getting ripped off, I know where he is, I'm just worried about it taking two months of my riding season to get the title for the bike.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
uhm IMO, i think you might have gotten jipped on a stolen bike? It's been 2 months, he's "out of state", he didn't give you a title the day you bought it when he said he had it? Something's fishy.. AND he lied about other things? That means either he's just a lier and reallly is lazy, or he doesn't have the title and he doesn't know the bike well enough AKA it's not his. I'd say get the police on his ass? LOL Gluck with that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I post an advice thread and everyone says its stolen.

I have a card. It has his name on it. I know where he works, its an established airport. I have talked to his co-workers there, they know who he is. I have his work and cellphone numbers, he answers them.

Anyone around with useful advice that doesn't want to jump on the bandwagon?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Superstuddc27 said:
uhm IMO, i think you might have gotten jipped on a stolen bike? It's been 2 months, he's "out of state"
I saw him yesterday, after he came back from a fishing trip out of state.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
take the bill of sale to the DMV and file for a title. you may both have to sign an affidavit of ownership transfer but itll be over and the ball will once again be in YOUR court.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Also you can call the local police department and have them run the #'s....PLEASE be careful though....IF the bike IS stolen they WILL take it from you and you will never see your $$ again...i would tell HIM that you intend to do this and if he knows something he will tell you not to. If he does this bend him over and get your money back. Tell him to refund your $$ or you will hand over the bill of sale and roll on him. When he gives you the $$ back if it IS indeed stolen....wait till you get around the corner and call the police....that or better yrt have the police wait in lieu of you getting your $$$ and then they can get him. ...my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reckless, first of all, thanks for some helpful options. Second, I'm not worried about the money, if he never gives me the title I small claims court is 15 bucks away. I'm worried about him taking his sweet fucking time and what I can do in the meanwhile.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
extremesanity2 said:
I bought a 95 zx6e from a guy nearby for 2500 May 30th. I asked him several times on the phone and in person whether he had a clean title on hand, and he said yes.

Apparently along with multiple other things he lied about he lost the title somewhere. Not a big problem, all he needs to do is reapply for one right? Well the dipshit has not yet applied for one, and its June 14th! And of course convenient for me he is out of state until this Friday the 17th.

My question is, what options do I have? The license plate on the bike has expired tags and I really want to ride the bike. Are temporary tags available? Can I get away with expired tags since I just bought the bike? How long will it take to get a duplicate title once the retard applies for one? Who wants to help me kick his ass?

I will help, give me the VIN so I can do a search of ownership.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
extremesanity2 said:

He might just be taking too frigging long like me...the guy i bought my bike from allowed me to hold his plate/tag and then things got delayed because i wanted to pass the msf so i could get a discount on insurance, and because he thought he had sent me the title and original bill of sale, but he mailed them to my old address cause i had just moved...neither of us realized that and meanwhile i started thinking "hm, i need to go the dmv but there is something i need from him that i don't think i have, we've been going back and forth mailing paperwork and emails, what am i missing"...not til i went up there to get the bike out of storage and checked the old apartment mailbox, did i realize i needed the title and it was what i didn't have! So a delay on both our parts, simple misunderstanding. I told him i would mail it last week but i ended up driving 14 hours to dc on monday for my bro's graduation on tues, and 14 hours back to fla. on wed for an accounting test thurs. I have classes all day, friday rolls around with errands undone for the week, and next thing you know, with pouring rain and whatnot, it's not mailed til this week.

Moral of the story?

1. It is not at all crazy to put some level of trust in a person if you have good intuition. That guy knew he could trust me because i made sure to pay him instantly. I have his plates but he is not freaking out about it, and he doesn't even live in the same city. Some people are just cool like that. But people had smartass comments on here too when i told my story of having bought the bike and still riding around with his plates til i get mine.

2. It could be you just need to make sure to call him and let him no if there is an urgency to it, he might not even realize the tags he's given you have expired.

My seller actualy used my cash to pay off his bike, so i had to trust that when he said he needed to get the title first transferred to his name from yamaha or the bank, and then transfer that title to me, that he wasn't just bs'ing.

I have the title now, his tag is one the way priority mail, so i am here as proof that sometimes a leap of faith on both sides does work. :D

I say if the that guy getting a new title will take longer than a week, since you both live near each other, he should be quite willing to renew his tags on your bike so you can ride around while he takes as long as he wants. If he doesn't like the idea, tell him to get his ass moving on the title then! :phatyo

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Sorry about me saying that it's stolen, im just a bit jumpy about this stuff. I understand your situation and probably this guy's just reallll lazy and careless.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Yeah I know you dont want to hear it being possibly stolen. But with all the scams these days you just cant be to careful.

Honestly. If your still talking to the guy I would keep on his ass daily. hell walk him to the DMV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should not need a certificate of title to register your newly purchased bike. You will need a bill of sale. Did you get one? If not, I would go down to your local DMV with VIN & plate # as soon as possible (in another vehicle) they will be able to tell you who the registered owner of this bike is. If its not your seller, you have problems.

·
Registered
839 Posts
First, you were stupid to take someones word that the bike had a clean title, you should have gotten the VIN and went down and checked before you bought it. And now stop screwing around and tell him he has till friday to straighten this shit out or your going to the cops and taking him to court. Stop being nice to him and give him the altimatem

·
Registered
839 Posts
hey, why are ou waiting for a title? up here all you need is the bill of sale to get the insurance then go get it registered. No title needed. unless it has a lien then you cant register it. Have you tried already?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts