Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever bought a car from a goverment or law enforcment auction. Theres alot of auction sites on the web, some real and some scams that clai to be selling seized autos. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a good deal on a seized auto and where.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Best way is to call your local LE depts. and find out when they have their auctions. They are open to the public and you can look at the stuff. We have one every year but the officers are not allowed to bid, conflict of intrest.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Some states are kinda weird in that they don't let private parties (aka you and me) make bids on stuff but only dealers and the like. Again call your local PD/SO and they'll steer you in the right direction.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
They hold them reguarly here but I have this bad feeling that if I were to buy one and say the car was used to sell drugs...i'll be at a light downtown and some dopper is gonna come harass me. Or worse the car's former driver pissed off someone and I get a drive by done one me.

Call me parnoid :D

·
20,852 Posts
Rascus said:
They hold them reguarly here but I have this bad feeling that if I were to buy one and say the car was used to sell drugs...i'll be at a light downtown and some dopper is gonna come harass me. Or worse the car's former driver pissed off someone and I get a drive by done one me.

Call me parnoid :D

Slap a new paint job on it or something. If you get a seized vehicle chances are the former owner will not be around for a few more anyways (but this is the U.S. judicial system so you never know). I ran across an article a few years ago where a lady bought a car at a police auction and the car ran great, the bad thing about the car she could only get 10 gallons of gas in a 18 gallon tank. She thought maybe the tank was messed up so she took it to the mechanic to get the tank replaced...when the mechanic took the tank off there was a little over $100k in cash in the tank!! When the auction/police people found out they tried to sue the lady for the money stateing it was part of their drug seizure and they were entitled to it. Court said since she sighned the "as is" release and so did the seller(s) whatever was on/in the vehicle at the time of purchase was her's......talk about makeing a profit....:eek:nfloor

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Slap a new paint job on it or something. If you get a seized vehicle chances are the former owner will not be around for a few more anyways (but this is the U.S. judicial system so you never know).
If I was living anywhere else I would do that. Unfortantely i live on an island that is only 35miles by 47 miles. So the chances of running into something I don't want to increases a bit.

·
20,852 Posts
Rascus said:
If I was living anywhere else I would do that. Unfortantely i live on an island that is only 35miles by 47 miles. So the chances of running into something I don't want to increases a bit.

:lol Valid point there!

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I've always wanted to go to a police auction, but I have been too lazy to find out where/when they are. I have been regularly looking on GSA Auctions and been hoping I find something nice on here since you can bid online. They have everything from computers and furniture, to fire trucks and airplanes. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts