Sport Bikes banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
:lao

Seinfeld makes some great points while making them laughable.

Its like the invention of skydiving. You dont really wanna die, you just wanna come close to it, feel the thrill and hope your parachute doesn't somehow malfunction and give you a 1st person view of your own death.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I learned the proper use of commas a long time ago, before you were born.
My sources for use of the comma are the Chicago Manual of Style, which is THE most influential guide to grammar and punctuation in American usage, and Strunk and White, which is THE most respected guide to style in American use. Your sources appear to be "somewhere on the 'net", and "I'm right because I'm old". As an engineer, you no doubt can see how those reasons are unsatisfying.

My point is, condescending to teedubyaw might have gone a little better for you without grammatical issues in your own post. Flawed attacks like that tend to attract jerks like me. ;)

I'm sure Seinfeld has done a comedy routine on commas, or maybe on arguments over ephemera, internet or otherwise. He did make a show about nothing. Maybe we could make a show about fundamental particles, if we can stop talking about commas for long enough.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My sources for use of the comma are the Chicago Manual of Style, which is THE most influential guide to grammar and punctuation in American usage, and Strunk and White, which is THE most respected guide to style in American use.

My point is, condescending to teedubyaw might have gone a little better for you without grammatical issues in your own post. Flawed attacks like that tend to attract jerks like me. ;)
"Jerks" is right. Your first source is from Chicago, and we know what kind of garbage comes from that corrupt city.

Your second source is in agreement with me:

The Elements of Style (Strunk and White, 4th edition 1999)

"In a series of three or more terms with a single conjunction, use a comma after each term except the last."

ADMIT defeat and make a big contribution the the NRA.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
this thread is so full of win...

and too many things that are hysterical to qoute -but this is also making my rather miserable day much better to say the least. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
this thread is so full of win...

and too many things that are hysterical to qoute -but this is also making my rather miserable day much better to say the least. :D
EVERY day spent in New Jersey is miserable. Do you know the NJ state motto?

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your second source is in agreement with me:

The Elements of Style (Strunk and White, 4th edition 1999)

"In a series of three or more terms with a single conjunction, use a comma after each term except the last."

OK, you just CAN'T really be that stupid. The next sentence is "Thus write, 'red, white, and blue'." I.e., use a comma after each term, EXCEPT THE LAST...Strunk and White is in agreement with ME. Admit defeat, and STFU. Honestly. Your reading comprehension sucks, or you are just an argumentative prick.

Thanks for the Chicago comments too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK, you just CAN'T really be that stupid. The next sentence is "Thus write, 'red, white, and blue'." I.e., use a comma after each term, EXCEPT THE LAST...Strunk and White is in agreement with ME. Admit defeat, and STFU. Honestly. Your reading comprehension sucks, or you are just an argumentative prick.

Because one doesn't use a comma at the end of a sentence, "except the last" means after the word "white", not blue. You LOSE again!

·
Registered
507 Posts
you're really kind of embarrassing yourself here. I mean, not only are you wrong, but you're being needlessly invective.
Where does wikipedia say I'm wrong? It says, "In American English, the serial comma IS THE STANDARD in non-jouranlistic writing." Exactly as I said in my very first post. It also gives a shout-out for my first reference.

*Shrug* Poor reading comprehension is everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Where does wikipedia say I'm wrong? It says, "In American English, the serial comma IS THE STANDARD in non-jouranlistic writing." Exactly as I said in my very first post. It also gives a shout-out for my first reference.

*Shrug* Poor reading comprehension is everywhere.
Not that anyone gives a fuck, but I agree with you. It looks better, reads better, and sounds better. Therefore, it is better to use the serial comma.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts