Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a repost, but i had never heard it before so thought it was worth posting. Personally i've rode to the end of the street and back with no helmet and felt like i was asking to die, but im a bit of a gear nazi. Thought this was epic tho

"All that being said....I'm going to quote Seinfeld on this one:

"There are many things, that you can point to, that humans, are not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be, that we had to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, is that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads.

We chose not to avoid these activities but instead come up with some sort of device to help us to continue to enjoy, our headcracking lifestyle.

The helmet.

Even that didn't work, because enough people weren't wearing them, so we had to come up with the helmet law, which is even stupider because the idea behind the helmet law is to preserve a brain, who's judgement is so poor, that it doesn't even try to prevent the cracking of the head it's in!"

-Jerry Seinfeld, season 4 episode 3 "

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
haha, love it.

In all my crashes i've not once hit my head, even through tumbling at RA. Do I still wear a helmet? Fuck yeah. lol

Although I have hit my head on the dirtbike, and like.... it still hurt. My ears were ringing for a bit. lol

·
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have yet to hit my head (back hump seems to help when sliding on your back) but have seen lots of people head first into gravel at the track, not to mention the idea of tucking the front and falling on my face at 70 mph on the highway is unsettling enough to not even contemplate not wearing a helmet on the street.

How people do this is beyond me, i'm with seinfeld on this one

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
There's no reason not to wear helmets, even if they're optional. Loads of helmets out there just look badass...why wouldn't you want to have 'em on your head?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jerry-boy has never made me laugh. Now Elaine, George and Kramer were very funny. So, Jerry, you (and Larry) put a great TV show together, but a comedian you ain't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So Seinfeld is basically calling us idiots for even riding motorcycles which could expose our heads, helmeted or not, to possible head cracking in the first place.
Well, anybody who looks at streets populated by four-ton bricks hurtling along at 70-80 miles an hour, piloted by distracted people on phones with blind spots the size of a county and say "Boy, I'm just gonna straddle an engine and shoot along in the middle of that" has at least a few screws loose

·
Registered
589 Posts
When Seinfeld does the bit during his stand-up, he talks about skydivers wearing helmets. He says something like, "If your 'shute doens't open, that helmet's wearing you for protection." :)

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well, anybody who looks at streets populated by four-ton bricks hurtling along at 70-80 miles an hour, piloted by distracted people on phones with blind spots the size of a county and say "Boy, I'm just gonna straddle an engine and shoot along in the middle of that" has at least a few screws loose
Awesome quote

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just the correct amount. Stay in school.
If you ask me, which you didn't, you are missing a comma after "George". Magazines and newspapers frequently omit the comma before "and" in a list, but this kind of sloppiness is not common in a reputable textbook or novel. ;)

In a newspaper, a comma costs space, and space costs money. Here, electrons don't cost any more with or without the comma. We can argue over whether a web forum is deserving of sloppiness later...

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you ask me, which you didn't, you are missing a comma after "George". Magazines and newspapers frequently omit the comma before "and" in a list, but this kind of sloppiness is not common in a reputable textbook or novel. ;)

In a newspaper, a comma costs space, and space costs money. Here, electrons don't cost any more with or without the comma. We can argue over whether a web forum is deserving of sloppiness later...
From somewhere on the 'net:

>"Put commas between items in a list. When giving a short and simple list of things in a sentence, the last comma (right before the conjunction–usually and or or) is optional, but it is never wrong. If the items in the list are longer and more complicated, you should always place a final comma before the conjunction.

EITHER: You can buy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles.
OR: You can buy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles."<

Note the word "optional" in the third sentence.

BTW, I like neutrons a lot more than electrons, especially those produced from the D-T reaction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From somewhere on the 'net:

>"Put commas between items in a list. When giving a short and simple list of things in a sentence, the last comma (right before the conjunction–usually and or or) is optional, but it is never wrong. If the items in the list are longer and more complicated, you should always place a final comma before the conjunction.

EITHER: You can buy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles.
OR: You can buy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in Los Angeles."<

Note the word "optional" in the third sentence.

BTW, I like neutrons a lot more than electrons, especially those produced from the D-T reaction.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't get my grammar tips from the internet. I got my statement from my textbook. I realize that by not citing the textbook, I am now "from the internet" for everybody but myself.

I like neutrons well enough, but they make me unhappy when they decay.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't get my grammar tips from the internet. I got my statement from my textbook. I realize that by not citing the textbook, I am now "from the internet" for everybody but myself.

I like neutrons well enough, but they make me unhappy when they decay.
I learned the proper use of commas a long time ago, before you were born.

The neutrons I like don't have time to decay before their work is done. They don't travel far, either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts