Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GSXR 1000. I'm going for a 1200 Mile trip and can't see a good way to tie the bike down. I was already planing a track type arrangment in the bed for the tires to set in. But tieing to the tripple clamps is hindered by the fairing.

The only thing i can see is to tie to the clamps up thru the underside to hold the bike down then hook to the frame/engine mounts to support it side to side.

Is this a good/bad idea? Any better ideas??

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
open trailers are the way to go...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Wrap the handle bars with nylon webbing for the front, twisting the webbing tight enough to lock them down but not so that it twists the throttle (mountaineering stores sell plenty of webbing strong enough to hold a large man). Use the biotch (passenger) footpeg hangers for the rear. Work those McGeyver skills and be careful. Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the McGeyver skills. Tie the clamps, engine mounts, rear pegs, both wheels; next thing ya know the sides of the bed will be bending in. :)

Are the engine mounts a bad idea?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you get that Canyon Dancer, some ratcheting tie downs, and a wheel chock for the front wheel if you can get one and your bike will be solid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've never had a problem with the way I have been doing it for years. Front tire goes into a homemade chock made out of aluminum channel. Notice that the straps are wrapped around the grips once, otherwise they tend to slip down after a while. Make sure that the tie downs are ratcheting type, not the one button release ones. I'm sure a canyon dancer will work pretty much like I do it.

Oh yeah. I have a "just in case line" to each side (white 1/4" rope). Never know when that day will come when something fails.

·
Hayabusa Abuser
39 Posts
I recommend this chock by Sport Chock. It can be handled by one person alone, and once the front tire is locked down you can get off the bike and tie the rear tire down and the handle bars with no problem. I've used it with my Hayabusa, when going to the track and to the shop. I love it. Sport Chock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts