Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was the second time this year when I was physically hit while riding. I was out on some backroads cruising around at like 70mph just minding my own business when this pair of pigeons were flying perpendicular to the road. I'm thinking, they hear me, see me, they're freaking FLYING. So I continue going, and I just KNOW that this is going to happen. I'm not going to swerve out of the way because... It's not in my way, yet, and probably won't be. Hell, I could even swerve into it. It's not like its a very easy thing to gauge my speed, his speed, angles and intercepts in all of 1 second. So I hit the second bird out of the 2, going about 70mph, smack in my chest. These pigeons are heavy.

Ever get hit by a paintball? That's what it felt like, or atleast thats what the previous sparrow felt like earlier this year. The latter..... felt like Bubba punched me in the sternum because I didn't feel like sex. Seriously, even with my Alpinstars leather jacket this WHOMPING pigeon really nailed me. I was wondering why I didn't inch back on my seat. Shortly after I pulled over and took off my helmet- Mostly because I wanted to clean what I thought would be bird guts off my chest. I was literally looking for a beak to be harpooned in one of my pectoral regions. Im telling you, this pigeon must have weighed 2 pounds.

Birds flew into my chest twice this year.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Sounds like you did well, kept calm and kept it upright. I know what you mean, you think theyre gunna move.....they have to move.... then....crunch.

LOL "Dont we have a deal with the pigeons?" -Seinfeld

·
Registered
809 Posts
I hit one with my leg once while riding...
In a car or bicycle they seem to ALWAYS get out of the way no matter...

maybe the birds need to work on their speed perception when it comes to bikes...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
At least you kept your cool and didn't hit the pavement.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess they really could call you bird chested hahaha, j/k dude, glad that you made it out ok. I've had a couple of close call w/ birds too. I'd be scared of the beak as well, especially if it were headed towards my neck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know that feels. Was with some of my friends going through Bartlett Lake at night. Through the sweepers going about...130mph, next thing I know. I see it in the corner of my eye wondering what the hell it is...damn owl flies out of nowhere and smacks me in the helmet. Definately wakes you up, and they do hit hard.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I had a flock of Spruce Hens take me out in 02.........stupid birds.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ershank said:
Ever get hit by a paintball? That's what it felt like, or atleast thats what the previous sparrow felt like earlier this year..

Try getting hit by a car on 3 seperate occasions. Twice where the vehicle ran a stop sign....once where they just kinda nudged me off the road. Then come whine about your mambsy pansy pigeon woes. :neener

Seriously though...I imagine that sucked.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
drmnlateef said:
I guess they really could call you bird chested hahaha, j/k dude, glad that you made it out ok. I've had a couple of close call w/ birds too. I'd be scared of the beak as well, especially if it were headed towards my neck.

I can't believe I found that funny!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ershank said:
Iowa sounds Ouch
Actually the 2 where the cars ran the stop sign were over in Japan. The one that ran me off the road was Iowa though...and yea....that hurt.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
maybe if you listened in MSF class, you coulda avoided the sit. :eek:nfloor

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't tell if you were making a joke or were serious...

I did listen in MSF class, and although I reacted out of instinct, I also reacted just the way my instructor told me to do so. Something along the lines of "If you don't have enough time just keep driving and avoid erratic maneuvers to stay stable".

Why would I swerve if I had no idea where they would be at the end of the swerve, I didn't know where I would be avoiding what. When you're in your car, and you see a squirrel on the road, have you ever moved over a little just yo have the squirrel run right under your tire AGAIN?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
just fukin w/ ya.......some things you can't avoid.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Hey atleast it wasn't carrying a coconut. or is that a Swallow?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Ershank said:
When you're in your car, and you see a squirrel on the road, have you ever moved over a little just yo have the squirrel run right under your tire AGAIN?
Generally speaking, when they've run under my tire once, they aren't up for running under there again. I get the job done the first time.

j/k :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've got three birds so far this year!

1st: flew across the road, hit it with my front tire, slapper but recovered.

2nd: Bird flew straight into me head on! Right to the chest. Owch!

3rd: Bird coming in from the side, nails my helmet and some how I managed to hit it with the reear tire!

F*&^ing Birds!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts