Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently aquired two new things: A girlfriend and subsequently a second helmet. However my question to you all is where to put the second helmet (assuming it's not on the girl!) The obvious thing is to bungee it to the bars on the rear seat, but are there any more elegant solutions?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not sure how safe this would be but I've seen people put their arm in the eye port with the face shield up while they are riding. The helmet seems to stay close to their elbow. It just doesn't seem like a very good idea IMO.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
get a cargo net bungee. Or you can take a bungee cord and wrap it around the chin guard of the helmet 2x then hook one bungee end to one grab rail and the other end to the other grab rail. Just make sure that the bungee cord or net has plastic hooks so it doesnt scratch the grab rails. I used to carry a 2nd helmet all the time with an extra bungee cord.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I store everything in an Arc'Teryx Blade 21 backpack, not sure if you'd be able to fit a helmet in something like that though - maybe a different kind of pack with just one big compartment. Why don't more people just use packs instead of all of the ugly storage bags on the bike?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Most helmets come packaged with a cloth sleeve. I would use that to cover the helmet, then strap it down with a cargo-net which would be bungeed to the rear rails.

There is alot of vibration and sway with rides, so single bungee cords would be hazardous.

I ride with a tail bag that is bungeed to the rear rails. The railes now have abrasion marks from the bungee hocks. Such marks could arrive on your helmet without a slip cover.

I would NEVER dream of carrying a spare helmet through my arm while riding. If you ever spilled, that arm is more likely to break!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
saddlebags?

·
Registered
32 Posts
kdk1899 said:
get a cargo net bungee. Or you can take a bungee cord and wrap it around the chin guard of the helmet 2x then hook one bungee end to one grab rail and the other end to the other grab rail. Just make sure that the bungee cord or net has plastic hooks so it doesnt scratch the grab rails. I used to carry a 2nd helmet all the time with an extra bungee cord.
I picked up a cargo net bungee at Walmart last year. I think it was about $10. It has a total of six plastic hooks that fit over the grab handles and I haven't noticed any marks. The again I haven't ridden a whole lot with the cargo net hooked on.

Actually though, my girlfriend keeps her helmet in the trunk of her car. So, that way she always has it when she needs it and I don't have to haul it around on my bike. Any reason that wouldn't work for you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plebar said:
I picked up a cargo net bungee at Walmart last year. I think it was about $10. It has a total of six plastic hooks that fit over the grab handles and I haven't noticed any marks. The again I haven't ridden a whole lot with the cargo net hooked on.

Actually though, my girlfriend keeps her helmet in the trunk of her car. So, that way she always has it when she needs it and I don't have to haul it around on my bike. Any reason that wouldn't work for you?
That might work... if not the cargo net idea sounds just fine. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a seat bag that unzips around the base and can become larger than in the image, this seat bag can have 1 helmet inside.

As you can see from the image it still allows two up riding.

And the bungy cords are not touching paint :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts