Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to do the seat mod as riding season is coming up and I did not want to deal with the soreness. After ordering several foam samples, I was still baffled over what material to use so I decided to pay visit to local Cycle Gear where I found one of these:
The Pro Pad - #6202 Small Leather Top Pad
This was a returned, special order item and I ended up paying $40 something dollars which seemed bit steep but the size and material were right on the money. The insert is made out of viscoelastic polymer - essentially a dry gel that withstands extreme temperatures and won’t leak.

Tools and materials used:

• Stock FZ6 seat
• The pro-pad, small size
• Staple gun with T50 ¼” long staples
• Flathead screwdriver
• Utility knife
• All purpose spray adhesive (HENKEL 01-81088-09 "DURO")
• Ruler and marker
• Sheet of thin foam fabric

First I started off by removing the factory staples from front of the seat. These come out rather easily just by praying them off with a flathead screwdriver. I counted about 35 staples along the front of the seat.

Once this was done, I simply pulled back the seat cover, exposing the foam in the front.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next I cut the pro-pad cover open, removed the dry polymer insert and placed it on the front part of my stock seat. At this point, I sat on the seat and adjusted position of the pad as needed, traced it with marker/pen and removed the pad.

Now this is where I started second guessing myself, questioning whether I should cup up my nice clean OEM seat. Anyway, with the help of a ruler and utility knife, I started tracing the outline of what was going to be the opening for my seat pad. I cut only about a ¼” deep, trying to keep the shapes as neat as possible. Once I completed the cut along the entire perimeter of the seat pad shape, I started “slicing” off the foam. I have to admit that the cuts weren’t as clean as I’d like to but this was the best I could do. I kept biting off little by little, trying the fit/depth often.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I got to a point when the pad fit neatly in the opening (still overlapping the edge of the original foam a little), I sprayed the bottom part of the pad with all purpose adhesive and placed it back into the opening. I noticed a narrow gap right behind the gel insert so I glued in a strip of standard firm foam. Once the glue set, I covered the entire exposed foam area with the thin foam fabric (I decided to do this to eliminate any noticeable transition between stock foam and the polymer insert). I kept the fabric stretched and wrinkle-free, stapling it back to the seat pan (I did not use any glue for this foam fabric).

Once the foam fabric was securely attached to the seat pan, I trimmed the excess using my utility knife.

Lastly, I pulled the original seat cover back and re-stapled it to the seat pan, re-using the original staple holes as much as possible to keep the entire job clean.

Today, couple weeks after completing the mod, I finally decided to take my bike out for a ride, I’ve done about 120miles with very little soreness. (I would compare the 120 mile soreness to what I was experiencing at 40 miles with the stock seat). The gel-like consistency absorbs lot of the vibrations and relieves the pressure points without making the seat too soft.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last couple of shots are from today’s ride, though they have nothing to do with the seat mod, I figured I’ll post them anyway ...

:cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice write up man I have been thinking about doing a mod like this just out of winter bordem if you had to do it again would you do anything different?

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Nice, now there are many variants of this DIY mod. Some have done it with memory foam. In any case this along with others need to be added to the HOWTOS.

BTW you need a FE

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent mod, thanks for sharing!

I'm looking into shaving my seat down in the near future, and doing something to pad it as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice write up man I have been thinking about doing a mod like this just out of winter bordem if you had to do it again would you do anything different?
Yeah, funny you asked. I would have waited another day before doing this mod as later that day, after completing this mod, my wife gave me a Corbin gift certificate for $100 (it was valentines day... ) ~ I must have really been complaining about the "PITA" :cheers (btw. I'm still baffled over what to do with this... )

Honestly, the results of this mod are better than I anticipated, the overall structure of the seat is still firm, just the critical areas/points of contact actually adapt to human body :).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thats a really good write up and a tidy job.

Not to steal your thread but just to let the guys know there is a lower Yamaha seat for the FZ6. It is 3cm lower and made a big difference for me.

Attachments

·
One eye on the road
477 Posts
Thats a really good write up and a tidy job.

Not to steal your thread but just to let the guys know there is a lower Yamaha seat for the FZ6. It is 3cm lower and made a big difference for me.
Send the link, if you would. Me being on the not so tall side 5'8" (68 cm for you metric folks) anything would help getting the feet down. Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Send the link, if you would. Me being on the not so tall side 5'8" (68 cm for you metric folks) anything would help getting the feet down. Thanks.
FRAG IT...I said not to steal his thread. :lao

I will get in touch with the dealer and ask them for the part number.

Im about the same height as you and I can get both feet flat on the floor with a bend in the knee.

I will post a thread when i have the part number.

THIS IS NOT MY THREAD; STOP WRITING TO ME.....sorry.....

Steve

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Nice job, Seebood. Thanks for the write-up.

So, Steve, does that prevent you from sliding towards the tank?:eek:nfloor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts