Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, anybody have there lock for the seat release jam up. Haven't needed to go under the seat for about a month or so now and well, tried tonight(installing a 12V power Socket) and got shut down cold. Didn't budge. Sprayed some WD40 into the lock and tried to leaver the seat up to spray into the lock mechanism, but no luck.

Hoping a bit of time for the WD to work will let me get it open, otherwise any of you got some suggestions?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the key turning and can you hear the latch operate? Try applying a lot of pressure to the top of the seat, over the latch area, as you turn the key. Perhaps there's just a lot of pressure on it. Just an idea.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Burnspot said:
Is the key turning and can you hear the latch operate? Try applying a lot of pressure to the top of the seat, over the latch area, as you turn the key. Perhaps there's just a lot of pressure on it. Just an idea.
+1
This can happen if the front of the seat isn't in correctly.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Burnspot said:
My Corbin's still a tight fit so it happens when I try to open it too, just press down on the rear part of the seat just above the latch area then turn the key.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I was gonna say similar..
Try sitting on the seat and turn the key to unlock while on the bike.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
WD-40 fixes everything? :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
It might be the latch covered in crap as mine wouldn't lock back up once.

The original exhaust is a big square lump that kind of acts as a splashguard, when I swopped it out for the scorpions it leaves a gap in the middle so that when you ride in the wet the water along with the road crap sprays straight up covering the area in dirt, over time it clogs stuff up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just tried it again, thought a night of WD might loosen it up. Still no luck, tried sitting on it...knocking the seat a bit to loosen anything etc etc..still no luck. I can put the key in and when I try turn it, doesn't move. you can hear it trying to move the latch. But must be some dirty etc up there. Any more ideas cause I know the dealers are going to blame my exhausts(laser Extreme's) for not protecting the mechinism.

is the any way to get to the mechanism without taking the seat off..the manual is not too descriptive on that part?

·
Registered
858 Posts
mwellbel said:
just tried it again, thought a night of WD might loosen it up. Still no luck, tried sitting on it...knocking the seat a bit to loosen anything etc etc..still no luck. I can put the key in and when I try turn it, doesn't move. you can hear it trying to move the latch. But must be some dirty etc up there. Any more ideas cause I know the dealers are going to blame my exhausts(laser Extreme's) for not protecting the mechinism.

is the any way to get to the mechanism without taking the seat off..the manual is not too descriptive on that part?
Okay just got back from the garage with the flashlight since I was curious on how secure this really was well seems like its not if you have aftermarket set of cans on since its now not being covered by the big stock muffler, If you have aftermarket cans you should be able to reach between them from underneath and use a screwdriver or small pry bar and just move the latch at least in my case I could see the latch clearly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your a lifesaver mate! just been down to look now and took a screwdriver. had to have a good look to see it, but could get at the latch and if you try from the right hand side of the bike, you can slide the catch back manually. Bit of a security issue, but doubt anybody but a owner would know that. Looks like only possible with Aftermarket pipes..loads of crap in there...around the mechanism...going to be cleaning there aswell going forward when i wash the baby!

once a again...thanks WTVa! much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
mwellbel said:
your a lifesaver mate! just been down to look now and took a screwdriver. had to have a good look to see it, but could get at the latch and if you try from the right hand side of the bike, you can slide the catch back manually. Bit of a security issue, but doubt anybody but a owner would know that. Looks like only possible with Aftermarket pipes..loads of crap in there...around the mechanism...going to be cleaning there aswell going forward when i wash the baby!

once a again...thanks WTVa! much appreciated!!!
:beer Well glad it worked out and your right only a issue if you have aftermarket pipes since it would be covered if you had the original one in place.
Oh forgot to mention thats why I love this forum so many helpful people here that arn't such :asshole :lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 on the forum - is a hell of a community! pitty there are many miles between us!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually that's part of the fun. We have a lot of raod to travel for a mass meeting.............hint.....hint!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Oh god, my bike is still all stock thanks to tremendous lawyers bills, don't make fun of me at a meet!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey Binary_Jay, think u the one laughing..not me..the insuance market here for bikes is quite nasty and unfortuntely i have to answer yes to the mods question...so my insurance quote at the moment is in the range of $1250..not pretty..

Fazter...little thing called an ocean between us. Havne't seen the mod yet to convert our bike into a jet ski or jet fighter.. ;) But jokes aside, in a couple of yrs..going to give up work for a yr and come and tour

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well.....im moving to Gainesville GA on June the 21st. How bout a ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts