Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Screw in brand new front tire! Can I plug it? AAAARRRGH!

Getting ready to ride to work this morning & discovered a small screw in my brand new front tire! How pissed am I!? A ton of us are supposed to ride tonight & over the weekend too! Anyway, it's holding air still, should I try riding it to the cycle shop about 15 miles away or should I try plugging it? :mad:

·
Registered
376 Posts
if its holding air then whats the problem? THey cant exactly plug something thats not leaking right? THe odds of something else going int he same spot are slim to none.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went across the street to the autoparts store & bought a plug kit figuring I could at least use it to get to the cycle shop. Well, got the kit then went to repair the tire, unscrewed the screw (w/ plug ready to go) and no air came out! Happy Days! It must have gone in on enough of an angle that it didn't puncture the belts plus it was only in 3/8" or so! I did put in a little plug just to fill the hole but looks like I'm good to go!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Good to hear man! I recently got a 5" long screw in my back tire, but it didn't hold air. Just keep an eye on it to make sure the plug is holding OK and the tire is still keeping air in.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
ed1le said:
So I went across the street to the autoparts store & bought a plug kit figuring I could at least use it to get to the cycle shop. Well, got the kit then went to repair the tire, unscrewed the screw (w/ plug ready to go) and no air came out! Happy Days! It must have gone in on enough of an angle that it didn't puncture the belts plus it was only in 3/8" or so! I did put in a little plug just to fill the hole but looks like I'm good to go!
That rocks! Just check your air pressure in a few days to make sure theres not a slow leak.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
If it was me id go and get it plugged properly by a tyre shop. Its not that dear and its much more secure.

My bike manual says its ok to ride on a tyre that has been plugged from the inside, but not otherwise.

·
Registered
801 Posts
As all have mentioned, keep a close eye on the tire pressure. For added insurance, have your local shop install a radial patch.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The screw itself is only 1/2" long & was only 1/2 way into the tire. When looking closer at it, it was not in a tread groove & it was on a slight angle so I don't think it was even close to the belts. I will definitely keep an eye on it but think I got REAL lucky this time! :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
sometimes we get lucky - like that one.

I pulled a long nail out of my about-to-be-replaced back tire and it did not leak - went in at an angle and never punctured.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Last set of tires on my truck the left front tire ended up with four plugs in it at different spots. I think some asshole was putting screws in my tires at night or something.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, the worst part of this is it was a screw I left on the ground! I replaced the hinges on the gate to my alley last week & must have missed picking up a few! :spank

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
happens to all of us, just alittle to often to myself recently.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
You mentioned that you put in a little plug??? Did you plug it all the way through and/or with little of the wormy looking stuff? If so, I'd get it re-plugged by a shop from the inside using a mushroom-type plug.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rode it over 100 miles last night with no problems! :banana

1 - 17 of 17 Posts