Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a white Scorpion EXO 700 with a dark smoke visor to match my bike. Here is the review.

I have a Shoei RF1000 so all my musings will be based on my experience with what I would classify a pretty sweet lid. Your mileage may vary.

Appearance: Right from the get go I noticed a few things. The liner looks pretty high quality, as does the shell. The visor seems thinner than my shoei and the locking mechanism, for all its speed, I find clumsy and somewhat lacking in quality control. The strap and button are also slightly lower quality than the shoei but not crap by any means.

Fit: bada bing...this thing fits like a glove. It fits and feels better than my shoei. I'm in love with the comfort. I could wear this all day.

Performance: I notice two things straight away...Its quiet... I mean really quiet. That is crazy. Shoei's aren't exactly cheap but one thing they ARE is loud. This thing is waaaay quieter. Oddly enough, it also lets in a ton more air. So if you wear contacts, as I do, this is not the helmet for you. Also, if you wear glasses, as I sometimes do, this is not the helmet for you. The breath guard is all but guaranteed to fog your glasses. On the plus side, the anti-fog visor works AMAZINGLY well. I'm a believer after a few weeks of riding with this helmet that you cannot fog the visor. At least I haven't been able to.

Thats about it... I haven't crashed tested it thankfully. But so far so good. It will go toe to toe with a helmet more than twice as expensive and still come out as my clear favorite in the fit and finish department. The actual protective aspect is unclear.

But I have read good things about the testing on scorpion helmets and the price is right. I give it two thumbs up.

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
PMP said:
But I have read good things about the testing on scorpion helmets and the price is right. I give it two thumbs up.
Great review. A riding buddy of my (ducksridingbikes) has the 700 in matte black and he loves. Personally, I get a chubby thinking about the 1000 helmet with the flip-down sun visor, helmet fit pump, and all for just $300-$330 @ NewEnough (my Shoei RF-1000 was $350 almost 3 years ago). The 700 at $180-$225 seems like a great deal too w/o all the fancy features but with the super cool optional light sensitive visor.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i have the 700 exo in blue w/ skull. i love it! the only thing that bugs me is when i attach the chatterbox to the helmet it pushes the cheek piece so far in as to crush my ear. i ended up taking it off my helmet and wearing on my belt.

other than that, great helmet.:bowdown

·
Registered
383 Posts
My Exo 700 experience

Purchased a new EXO 700 in September of last year. In January, a cager ran a red light and blind sided me. Drug me 30-40ft under her SUV. I walked away from the accident with only some road rash on my legs and arse (as I was only wearing kahki's for work). I was wearing a Joe Rocket jacket, and my EX700.

Had I not had a helmet/jacket; I could have seriouosly died. My head hit the pavement and the SUV at about 40mph.

Awesome equipment I must say!

·
Registered
39 Posts
How bad is this helmet with glasses? I was really considering it, but I wear glasses all the time. Sorry to bump this back up from so long ago.

·
The Santee Tony
879 Posts
I went from an RF1000 to an EXO1000.

Pros of the EXO (vs the RF):
Washing machine safe removable liner
No fog visor that actually works
Built in drop down tinted visor
Pump up check pads for better fit
Better venting
Paid less than $300 OTD (vs $450 for the RF 2 years ago)

Cons:
Not as many design choices (yet)
Fit feels slightly better when leaned over and cornering
Proven design (vs new model EXO)

The RF might fit just a tad better while leaning/cornering, but the fit on the EXO is great and nothing to complain about. I still like my RF and I think it's a great helmet, but the features you get on the EXO for the price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Adding my own 2 cents:

I just bought an EXO 700 helmet. I tried it out this weekend at the track. I am very happy with it! Great airflow inside, nice and breezy on a hot day. Though it might weigh another ounce or two more than the RF1000 that it replaced, it fits great and feels like a feather once I have it on. The eye opening works great for the track. I can see well with my head down!

The shield does not fog, even on a hot humid day at the track.

I highly recommend it for those with regular oval shaped heads. It fits me even better than the RF1000 or even my old Arai RX7. It stays put, yet is very comfortable once you have it on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.