Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

With the gas prices getting higher and higher every day, I'm thinking about picking up a used scooter. I still plan to own a "real" motorcycle but I think it would be kinda fun. I've done a little reading on the net and from what I can tell people that own scooters think they're more fun than a motorcycle. REALLY light weight, and the ability to zip around doing "safer" wheelies and endos.

I do a little bit of traveling with my job but the two places I spend most of my time are within 10 miles from home. Cheap on gas, and scooters are pretty cheap to buy. A 50cc scooter would be perfect... about 40mph from what I've heard.

So, I suppose I'm going to get flamed huh? I love riding motorcycles but riding a scooter might ALSO be kinda fun!?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a scoter when I was growing up in Europe, when you were 16 you were limited to 50cc there. I think thats a great idea but thats another topic altogether.

Honestly it depends on where you live, urban enviroment? its great, zip around, down alleys, between lanes, cops dont care ussually either, its great for delivery and stuff.

However in a rural or suburban area, no way, it just looks really funny to see someone on a scoot in a full tuck not even pushing 50mph.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Uhmm, yeah, uh....

I suppose a scooter could be fun. Personally, I feel like a scooter would be more fun if I didn't have a sportbike to ride (kind of a better than nothing situation in that case).
My bike gets great gas mileage around town (40-45mpg) so I'm not concerned with that aspect of a scooter.

If you honestly believe you'd go out to the garage, look at your R-1 and a scooter, and choose to take the scooter out, go for it. But then, I guess you should have bought a Honda!!! :banana

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Why a 50cc scooter???

Price is not THAT different from a 125cc scooter, and power is extremely different. And if you can afford it, a 250cc scooter will cruise all day long on the freeway.

You don't have to buy the latest and greatest scooter, Kymcos (Korean) are pretty good and nothing beats them in bang for the buck, take a look at the Bet&Win 250, looks big on a picture, but it is not b***** than most 125/150cc sooters and has about twice the power.

Or if you want something a little bit smaller and more "retro" the 150cc Kymco People is for you (highway legal!). Kinda like a small Aprillia Scarabeo, you can also get them in 250cc but I think that the front mounted radiator (it is watercooled) looks hideous.

By the way, they are a BLAST to ride!

Pictures, Bet&Win 250, People 150, People 250:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I guess you didn't read the last post about scooters :flamed

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
friend of mine is the president of the north texas scooter club, he loves the things. I will admit they are fun for running around town...and nobody will steal one so there is a lot of peace of mind for going somewhere and just jumping off without having to chain/lock/alarm, like a sportbike. gas mileage is great. there are plenty of advantages.

I live in a very urban area and I have thought about it now and then, but I just figured if I wanted to go that route I would get an aprilia RS50 or a kawasaki ninja 250R, be more versatile than a scooter.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
scooters are like fat girls......fun to ride, but dont let your friends catch you on one. lol!

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
scooters are like fat girls......fun to ride, but dont let your friends catch you on one. lol!

Actually that's MOPEDS..

Here on the island, scooters are a normal sight on the roads. Easy, cheap transportation. There are even scooter clubs here too and guys trick them out beyond belief. For less than $500 you can get a 50cc that will get you from point A to B. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I wouldn't go for 50 CC..having little animals out run is not my thing.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I think it would be fun to have a scooter to get to and from work, school.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts