Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just another n00b
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I went to a local Honda dealership the other day and thought I'd check out a entry level bike. Too bad they didnt have anything less than a huge 750 cc cruiser. Well I sat on a Suzuki sv650 and a Buel 250cc (i think) and the Buel seemed like a better fit. After that I noticed they had scooters too....

There was a yellow 250cc scooter for sale and it looked pretty cool. Granted I've never seen one up close before, I sorta liked it. It had a compartment for my helment under the seat, and it was an automatic. I think I could find one used for alot cheaper than the $4500 they were wanting, but what do you all think of scooters? I'm tired of driving my Tacoma everywhere and I think this would be pretty nice to putt around until I gain some experience (well if the price is right).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use to have a Yamaha 125cc Riva scooter. Thing was just perfect for the street. Street meaning of course no highway, freeway. It kept pace with traffic no problem, gas mileage was around 45 to 50 and I could ride in total comfort.

I have never ridden a scooter larger than my old Riva so I assume the 250cc one is very strong.

The Scooters from Honda and Suzuki seem great but damm its expensive!!!

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
oh heck no i'd never get a scooter. you'll get bored with it after about two weeks, and you'll probably be wishing you had your money back to buy a real bike

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
My roommate has a Burgman 400. It keeps the pace on the highway just fine. You won't be blazing by at 120mph, but you can definately ride on the highway. It's got a pretty good amount of room under the seat--great for lugging your stuff around if need be (IE taco bell mentioned in another post)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Scooters rule :headbang But I'm a closet scooter geek, I have always wanted a Vespa.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you saw peter's at honda of houston? priced too high IMO

i want a scooter as well......

trying to convice the wife we NEED an aprilia sr50 right now, to add to the 2 other bikes and 3 cars we have....... :headbang

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
So who makes the best Vespa knock-off for the money?

·
Just another n00b
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RACER X said:
you saw peter's at honda of houston? priced too high IMO

i want a scooter as well......

trying to convice the wife we NEED an aprilia sr50 right now, to add to the 2 other bikes and 3 cars we have....... :headbang
LOLZ damn, and I thought having a truck, a civic and possibly a scooter would be too much :nerd

I don't know which Honda place it was. I remember is was on Bingle and Longpoint (I think?)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yup, honda of houston, peter the british guy's reflex 250 for sale...

·
Registered
654 Posts
they got some pretty cool scooter accessories out there, check out the net. if you can get performance and show parts you should go for it. Scooters are great for touring and cruising.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I actually have a scooter as well as the Busa. I actually bought it for my wife because she wanted it for going to work and doing other stuff around town. I probably get more use out of it than she does. If I'm just wanting to make a quick trip across town, it's about prufect.

Mine is only a 50cc Honda and in stock form it topped out at about 35mph, but I've put a pipe on mine as well as some other mod to the rollers that determine the speed. It will now top out right about 40mph and sounds halfway sweet thanks to that exhaust. It might not look the best, but it's plenty useful for around town trips.

I would however like a little better and b***** scooter just so that I could get a little more speed out of it and so that it's a little easier to keep up with traffic on certain streets. I really like the looks and performance of some of the Italjet scooters, but there are A LOT of them out there to choose from.

Here's mine before I put on the aftermarket exhaust.......

Attachments

·
Just another n00b
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kawa-ZX9 said:
I might be riding one of these in a couple of years. Sometimes I get tired of shifting and want a scooter.
thats what I was looking at last night on the net. Those seem like they are a better bang for the buck compared to a honda.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
squid, whats it called, all i know about is the 'vino'........???

·
Registered
143 Posts
Man I guess I think a lot differently then the rest of you because I could never spend money on a scooter for street use. I have a cheap old 50cc honda that I use as a pit vehicle at the strip and I would never ride it on the street. My father in law wanted a motorcycle but did not want to have to shift so he bought a $7000 Honda Silverwing which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen....

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i like the silverwing, but yeah $7k is pretty steep. but i've heard of peeps touring cross-country w/ those.......they do like 120

i like the reflex 250, but again not $4-5000 worth maybe $2-3k

·
Registered
524 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Yamaha has a really nice 125 scooter for only $2200 new. Too bad they dont import enough to meed demand. I dont think you could find one for sale anywhere in the state.
Is it called the Riva 125? I use to have one. Damm good ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
dood, look at my avatar... that is the ultimate scooter.
unfortunately the original site is gone :cry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts