Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a coffee drinker, so I have no clue what to look for. But, I'd like to get a good one for a gift.

Suggestions?

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-1-Liter-34-Ounce-Coffeemaker/dp/B004NBYADU[/ame]

Done.

This is what I have, I use it multiple times a day, you can not get better than a French press.

Also works awesome for loose leaf tea.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind?

My mom has one of these. Amazon.com: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker: Kitchen & Dining It's very easy to use. It lets you adjust the brew temp and I think you can set it to automatically brew at a certain time. If they don't want to use the k cups that's ok. You can get one of these to go with it and they can use whatever grounds they want. Amazon.com: Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Kitchen & Dining
Ive had multiple people suggest Keurig. Cuisinart too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Keurig coffee is nasty, do not buy. I suppose people like them because you don't have to fiddle with the filter/grinder but if you want good coffee, don't. Most any of the drip coffee makers will do fine, key is to keep them clean (affects the taste a lot), and get a burr grinder for the beans not blade type (tends to burn the coffee as the beans are chopped). Don't buy beans (or anything else) from Starbucks == burned & nasty, lots of small local coffee places around to buy beans from.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
If you get a drip coffee maker, get one with a cone filter, not a basket one. Cuisinart would be a good choice. For me at least, it's not possible to get enough coffee in a basket filter to make it strong enough. The cone filter is better at making strong coffee. And I don't like dark roast, so it takes more mild or medium to get it as strong as I like it.

My mother has a single serving coffee maker that is similar to a keurig except it comes with a small screen basket filter that you put your own coffee in. I guess you could put a pod in it, but she doesn't use it that way. Takes a little longer to make than with a k-cup, but the end result is better.

I have a keurig because sometimes the regular coffee pot doesn't get set up the night before to start automatically in the morning, and I need coffee before I can do something as complex as making a pot of coffee in the morning. :lol Otherwise I do stupid things like forgetting to empty the old pot before starting the maker.

You can also get reusable k-cup shaped filters to put your own coffee in.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Keurig coffee is nasty, do not buy. I suppose people like them because you don't have to fiddle with the filter/grinder but if you want good coffee, don't. Most any of the drip coffee makers will do fine, key is to keep them clean (affects the taste a lot), and get a burr grinder for the beans not blade type (tends to burn the coffee as the beans are chopped). Don't buy beans (or anything else) from Starbucks == burned & nasty, lots of small local coffee places around to buy beans from.
You literally have no idea what you're saying.... A keurig is basically a drip coffee maker.... You can even use your own coffee and it will taste the EXACT same as using any other drip coffee maker.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
You literally have no idea what you're saying.... A keurig is basically a drip coffee maker.... You can even use your own coffee and it will taste the EXACT same as using any other drip coffee maker.
I drink 3-4 cups out of a kuerig every day at work. it's fine. not great, but OK. downside is each cup costs $.50-$.75 for the k-cup.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Beware of Keurig as they are looking to include DRM in their new machines that would bar you from being able to use "non-keurig-approved" pods. Links:

How do you DRM a coffee pod? | Ars Technica

Keurig 2.0 brews up DRM to freeze out copycat cups - CNET

I also do not like keurig coffee as I find it to be watery. That being said, the convenience is nice.

I am also a French Press user. This is the one that I use at work. It just makes better coffee. I'm not one of those snobs that says that you "need" to use distilled water or any of that silly malarkey, but I like my coffee strong and the french press accomplishes that.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If you get a drip coffee maker, get one with a cone filter, not a basket one. Cuisinart would be a good choice. For me at least, it's not possible to get enough coffee in a basket filter to make it strong enough. The cone filter is better at making strong coffee. And I don't like dark roast, so it takes more mild or medium to get it as strong as I like it.

My mother has a single serving coffee maker that is similar to a keurig except it comes with a small screen basket filter that you put your own coffee in. I guess you could put a pod in it, but she doesn't use it that way. Takes a little longer to make than with a k-cup, but the end result is better.

I have a keurig because sometimes the regular coffee pot doesn't get set up the night before to start automatically in the morning, and I need coffee before I can do something as complex as making a pot of coffee in the morning. :lol Otherwise I do stupid things like forgetting to empty the old pot before starting the maker.

You can also get reusable k-cup shaped filters to put your own coffee in.
You aren't drinking the right kind of coffee if you can't get it strong enough in a basket filter. I actually quit drinking coffee about six months ago, but when I was drinking it, I was drinking fresh Kona straight from Hawaii. I actually had to be careful about how much I was putting in because it was coming out too strong. Not sure how easy it is to get the Kona from the Hawaiin plantations shipped though because I had a hookup that went to Kona every 3 months and he'd ship me a bag or two.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
You just don't understand how strong I like my coffee.

Kona is my favorite actually. I get it straight from a farm called Kona Earth. I wouldn't waste it on a basket filter though. And it's' too expensive to drink every day at the rate i drink coffee, esp my ultimate favorite, Peaberry which is even better than normal Kona beans. I save it for weekends when I have time to enjoy it.

My favorite method for making coffee is a percolator, but I lost mine in the last move. Need to find it or get another one.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
1. Budget?
2. Recipient. ..espresso or drip?

I'm a coffee snob and I normally grind and French press for daily use. Good beans are a must. Local roasters are best.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts

Kona is my favorite actually. I get it straight from a farm called Kona Earth. I wouldn't waste it on a basket filter though. And it's' too expensive to drink every day at the rate i drink coffee, esp my ultimate favorite, Peaberry which is even better than normal Kona beans. I save it for weekends when I have time to enjoy it.
kona was my favorite before the agricultural problem they had a few years ago. What roasts do you get? I've given up on finding good kona roasts after Urth Caffè let me down with theirs. I've been trying to find a good brand/farm for years.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
You aren't drinking the right kind of coffee if you can't get it strong enough in a basket filter. I actually quit drinking coffee about six months ago, but when I was drinking it, I was drinking fresh Kona straight from Hawaii. I actually had to be careful about how much I was putting in because it was coming out too strong. Not sure how easy it is to get the Kona from the Hawaiin plantations shipped though because I had a hookup that went to Kona every 3 months and he'd ship me a bag or two.
I'm willing to bet they have it at any costco in Hawaii :)

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I'm with the others on a French Press, a grinder, and whole-bean coffee for home use. Simple, inexpensive, easy to use, and makes great coffee.

Those individual-cup-type coffeemakers are a great solution for office coffee. Everyone gets a choice of what he wants, and the coffee is adequate and brewed fresh for each person. I'm old enough to remember the dismal Bunn pots of burned dehydrated goo that were once the universal norm. In those days, I would keep a small French Press and grinder at my desk, and had to warn the nearby cubicles when I waws about to grind my coffee.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
kona was my favorite before the agricultural problem they had a few years ago. What roasts do you get? I've given up on finding good kona roasts after Urth Caffè let me down with theirs. I've been trying to find a good brand/farm for years.

I like medium roast for regular Kona, and the Peaberry only comes in full city roast, which is fine. I've been getting my Kona from here for a while. At first through RoastE, but when they went under I started getting it directly from the farm.

Kona Earth Coffee - Shop

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

My favorite method for making coffee is a percolator, but I lost mine in the last move. Need to find it or get another one.
Stronger than I liked mine apparently =P I know the one I was getting didn't ship, but they had a beetle problem a few years ago so I was getting Blue Mountain or something like that. Think I still have two unopened lb bags in my fridge.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts