Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: They called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about
your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life
HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and
very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds; chances are you'll end up working for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,025 Posts
So much truth..........great find
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
It was good whoever wrote it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
Rule #9 Blows.
These year round schools are turning kids into mindless future corporate drones.
Summer break sitting around doing nothing gave us kids the chance to make strong friendships, do whatever the hell we wanted and spend countless hours outdoors just sitting around talking about girls, cars, motorcycles or anything else that popped into our weird minds. We were kicked out of the house at sunup and not allowed back in until sundown other than for breaks or food.
Some of the rules are alright. Then again I was never big on following rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Bill Gates didn’t say that and I think they are pretty dumb and do not apply to anyone who has at least a college education. I wonder where you got the idea Bill Gates ‘recently’ gave a speech and listed those 11 things. Perhaps, he missed a rule #12 which says, “ One should not pass something off as truth they received in a chain e-mail”
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
kazlab67 said:
Rule #9 Blows.
These year round schools are turning kids into mindless future corporate drones.
Summer break sitting around doing nothing gave us kids the chance to make strong friendships, do whatever the hell we wanted and spend countless hours outdoors just sitting around talking about girls, cars, motorcycles or anything else that popped into our weird minds.
Well, all schools aren't year round (very few in my area).

And, while what you said is true (making friends, etc), it does NOT resemble real life at all. You ever get a 3 month vacation?

All of these rules could've been summarized into one....The FIRST one...."Life is not fair, get used to it". Can anyone argue that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
Bill Gates dropped out of college, more or less stole DOS from another programmer, and came from a upper class family in Seattle and had a mom who was personal friends with the CEO of IBM. I don't think Bill is in position to dictate rules that other people should follow. Life isnt fair and we should get used to that? I don't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
bugeyed said:
Bill Gates dropped out of college, more or less stole DOS from another programmer, and came from a upper class family in Seattle and had a mom who was personal friends with the CEO of IBM. I don't think Bill is in position to dictate rules that other people should follow. Life isnt fair and we should get used to that? I don't think so.

With 30 billion dollars the guy can dictate whatever he wants. He didnt get that money by being a dumbass. And whats wrong with saying life isnt fair? Its not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Well, all schools aren't year round (very few in my area).

And, while what you said is true (making friends, etc), it does NOT resemble real life at all. You ever get a 3 month vacation?

All of these rules could've been summarized into one....The FIRST one...."Life is not fair, get used to it". Can anyone argue that?
Who cares if it resembles real life. Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. Thats why they grow up and kill each other...they don't learn the basics of social interaction.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
kazlab67 said:
Who cares if it resembles real life. Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. Thats why they grow up and kill each other...they don't learn the basics of social interaction.

But they do know right from wrong. Even my mentally handicapped brother knows it's not right to kill someone, and his IQ is about equal to a 4 year olds (he is 30).

Let's assume for just one minute that Bill Gates actually did give this speach and the story is true. It says he lectured high school students. High school is getting close to where real life starts. They should know these things (Well, they shouldn't have to be told them either tho).

Bugeyed - Bill Gates PROVED that life isn't fair... to the person he stole the software from. Maybe life has been very fair to him, but he's one of the lucky few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
No one is disputing the life isnt fair part, my problem is when people tell me I should get "used to it". If everyone had that attitude, life would be a lot more unfair than it really is. I'm not going to turn a blind eye to injustice.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
bugeyed said:
If everyone had that attitude, life would be a lot more unfair than it really is. I'm not going to turn a blind eye to injustice.
Wasn't saying to turn a blind eye...but I'm definately "used to it" now. That doesn't mean I don't try to do something about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
I think what "Bill" means is you should "get used to it" by ignoring it and do nothing about it. It is certainly in the interest of people on the top of society for you to think this way, after all many of them are where they are because of unfair circumstances, or because of unfair things that they did or perpetuated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
ug, the comment "life is unfair, get used to it" is very true, and it doesn't mean you have to just lay down and accept whatever happens. The statement "get used to it" is supposed to be saying, don't sit around and piss and moan when you don't get your way just "because you are supposed to" it means deal with the fact that things don't always turn out the way they should, roll with it, and get on with your life. Serenity to accept that which I cannot change, courage to change that which I can, yadda yadda yadda.
 

·
sikk cylinders
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
It really doesn't matter who said it, quoted it, whatever. Get used to it kiddies, it's all true! Very good! +1 :dblthumb
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top