Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on the street daily for two years, but since I was 5 I had a minibike. On my streetbikes I've made aprox. 25,000 miles.

However, the first one was a 150cc "cruiser", and then I bought a 150cc standard and a 250cc cruiser (like a Suzuki Marauder). Well, the 250cc is gone and the 150cc I'm going to keep it...

I'm used to bikes with no more than 18hp, brakes that require a strong hand and full grab to get them to stop, and running full throttle most of the time. Now I feel as if I was unable to handle a sportbike!

Now I have a chance to buy a real sportbike, I'm looking at 94-98 600cc sportbikes, katanas and fizzers (whatever I can find that fits my small budget), but I think I'm going to do a stoppie or loop it, or run too fast.

Don't know, even after two years of daily riding I still don't feel ready for a sportbike...

·
Registered
304 Posts
First, If you you feel you not ready for a sportsbike then, maybe your not.

Second, go to MSF classes they will teach you more than you think you know.

Third, don't be scared of the bike, be scared of yourself. The bike will only do what YOU tell it to do.

Riding a sportsbike is similar to riding a crusier, every control is the same and is the same place. But sportier have more power. Basically you have to learn your bike, like when you had to learn your crusier. How much it takes to get it going, how it handles and the way it handles, how much brakes it take to come to a stop.

Every bike is different, there are no two bike the same. Just like DNA each have it own signature.

When I first moved up from a 250 to a 600, I thought the samething, but it wasn't bad at all. Then the same thought when I moved from a 600 to a 750. But again it wasn't that bad.

Learn the bike is all you have to do.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Now I have a chance to buy a real sportbike, I'm looking at 94-98 600cc sportbikes, katanas and fizzers (whatever I can find that fits my small budget), but I think I'm going to do a stoppie or loop it, or run too fast.
Don't worry, you will NOT loop or endo a Katana without a concious effort to do so. I think a Katana would be a great bike for you to 'step up' on. You've got experience with motorcycles, but not enough confidence in your riding to step up to a true sport bike. The Katana is a good compromise between the two.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i agree with the above..

If you rode for that long, then you MUST have developed some throttle control, and knowledge of how motorcycles move. I would take a course or a lesson on a b***** bike first, then you can go get your sportbike. Like said above, just learn the bike and be alert you'll be fine..

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, right now the choice seems to be a 92-98 FZR 600. Katanas are not that easy to find, I had found a 1994 Katana 600 with 10,000 miles, but it has already been sold.

However, now I found 3 FZRs 600:

a) 92, 15,000 miles, needs some body work and the front fender
b) 98, aprox 40,000 miles, body is perfect
c) 94, 4,000 miles!!! However, not sure if the dude will sell it for a reasonable price. (Seems to be just a posermobile, even OEM front tire, that will have to be replaced)

CBRs F2 and F3 are way too expensive, a lot more than the fizzers or katanas.

BUT I found a 94 CBR 1000 F for the same price as the 98 FZR, also low miles (no more than 10,000), but I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jumping to an FZR from an 18hp 150cc machine (or your 250cc cruiser) is a big leap. Just be aware the FZR (like any sportbike) is twitchy. Low speed handling will need you to learn some fine clutch and throttle balance. The friction zone on the FZR is very narrow. However, you are coming into this with some experience which is better than none. I'd personally say hit a 500cc machine before one of the 600s (even that better than doubles the power you are used to rather than make a four-fold leap) but if you are going to look at an FZR, here you go...

The 94 for sure first. $2500 or less for an FZR in mint condition. He doesn't have too much room to play there. Probably offer $2200 unless he's going to pay for replacement tires beforehand. If the tires are OEM, they will need to be replaced and you should not be eating that cost on a private sale. Plus, bikes that sit tend to have age-related issues due to lack of use that a regularly ridden machine doesn't.

Then try for the 98. It's the newest and despite the miles, probably a well-cared for machine. 40K miles is a lot on an FZR engine and if the owner has kept up with the valve adjustments (critical to get the engine to last 40K miles without cupping the intake valves) and other maintenance, it will be a good bike.

Then the 92 strictly for the bodywork. Getting unscratched fairings is an exercise in patience and cost. Front fenders are harder to come by undamaged. Fortunately, you can use FZR400 fenders as well as those from the 600 (the 400 is preferred, it's fork brace is solid aluminum versus the thin plate found on the 600).

Skip the liter bike. Way too much of a jump.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Süsser Tod, I went from a Rebel to a Magna, which was a jump from about 14hp to 86hp. After that, I went to a Triumph Sprint ST (108). In my opinion, you should be able to handle the change easily enough. The biggest hurdle is learning the basics like throttle control, braking, and countersteering.

Once you learn those skills, they transfer over to a more powerful bike. In fact, the newer bike will handle better, have better brakes, and shift better, too. You'll love it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
go for the FZR, IMO better bike than a can o tuna

like everyone else said its gonna be more twitchy and respond quicker to input but the bike doesnt make a ton of power in the low RPM's and should be managable for you

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you dont feel ready for a sportbike then maybe you're not. You know yourself and your abilities much better than we do.

If you do decide to go with it, go for the FZR

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
At 26 years old, you should be smart and responsable enough not to do that to yourself.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dude I have complete confidence in you getting a 600cc sportbike and living to tell about it at a later date.

With 25k miles under your belt you are way way way way better off than most people... probably 9 out of 10 people who start on a 600cc.

My first time ever on a bike was when I sat on my brand new 2000 cbr 600f4... first time ever on a bike.

Get something you will like, and just take the time to get used to it, it wont bite you like a snake or a dog so just enjoy, and before ya know it youll be wondering why you waited this long to get one.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Tod, you got a good head on your shoulders. But, if you get into a situation in which you aren't comfortable, you're more likely to make mistakes. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you think it'd be a bad idea, don't make a self-fulfilling prophecy by buying a sportbike. If you sit on the bike and you're comfortable with it, I think you'll do well.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
We hear a lot about how much power these things have. I've seen kids trading up after 3,000 miles on their ninja 250 to a liter bike. With 25,000 miles, you should definitely be fine man. Step it up, those old FZR600's are cool bikes. Just be gentle on that throttle til you're used to it.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would go w/the fzr and just take it easy and get use to the bike and you should be fine. You might also check out an EX500 and see how that bike appeals to you.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Go for it Todd,you've already been down and that alone taught you respect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree with alot of the advise given so far, if you feel uncomfortable on a 600cc bike, then go for something smaller. Get a newer Kawasaki 500R, ride it for a few months and sell it for basically what you paid for it. It's a good bike to transition you from what you're riding now to a true Super Sport. It'll still be loads of fun, but it won't get you in nearly as much trouble if you yank on the throttle or the brake. It's overall a much more forgiving machine than any SS 600cc bike will ever be. And don't feel like you need to be in a hurry to get a 600cc bike, you've got plenty of time to enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've had both a katana and an FZR. The FZR was a nightmare in terms of maintainance - there was always something wrong with it. The FZR 600s are even worse as they have the transmission from an FZR 400 so they break alot. Do you ever want to have to split a case and fix a tranny? The parts aren't terribly expensive though - less than $100 from what I saw.

The katana I had never let me down or even hinted at letting me down. Very solid and reliable. I haven't heard too many stories of katanas breaking down - they just keep going. Yeah they are heavier and probably slower, but I figure you are fairly concerned with reliability.

You'll be just fine on any bike you choose because of the respect you have for sportbikes. Better to be afraid of it than not afraid of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
njssli22 said:
i agree with the above..

If you rode for that long, then you MUST have developed some throttle control, and knowledge of how motorcycles move. I would take a course or a lesson on a b***** bike first, then you can go get your sportbike. Like said above, just learn the bike and be alert you'll be fine..
I agree with that, i jump from a NX 150cc to a Bandit 400, and then a CBR. You should handle well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
have u thought about sport-tourers?

You can find 99-02 SV650s and ZR7s for under 3 grand. Lots of usable torque for low speed around-town runs. Both are powerful, yet forgiving bikes and since you're used to bikes sans windscreens, you can choose a model without fairings. Not as appealing to thieves either!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, newer EX500 are extremely hard to find here!!!

That bike was my first choice, but impossible to find. Even harder to find a 250! (And I found a 95 250 with 180,000kms, thats about 110,000 miles for you!)

And the 88-92 ones are going for $2500, basically $500 less than a FZR600.

Keep in mind I'm not in the US, I'm in Mexico and the used bike market is WAY different. I'd love to get a SV650, but they were never officialy imported here, and the grey market bikes are going for around $5500+

1 - 20 of 31 Posts