Sport Bikes banner

1861 - 1878 of 1878 Posts

·
"Mindbottling isn't it?"
4,573 Posts
We'll, even though they aren't members of the BBB you can still file a report and it will reflect negatively against them. It was easy to do online and only took a few minutes. Typically, I'm not a cry baby about this kind of stuff but they pissed me off when they didn't refund my money.

They are lucky they got to deal face to face with a sweetheart like Diana. If I hadn't called before we left and they told me face to face that I didn't have a room it would not have been a good time.

After what Will posted about them trying to get out of giving the discount, I'm now wondering if Tye and I were bumped in an attempt to finagle a way out of the discount. It sounds to me like they jockeyed the rooms around and lied to people about the status to try and get our reservation count down?

I know they are booked solid for the Memorial Weekend. That's what their answering machine said when I called to try and get my deposit refunded before filing reports.

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
Wow, I will definately let others know to not stay there in the future. Thats some crazy stuff they pulled.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
They are a member of the Townsend Chamber of Commerce. Here is there email, it may not do anything, but at least they will know what kind of people they are advertising.

email: [email protected]

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Thanks Maria! I'm sure you would have given them what for!!

That's right Willie I am no dork...maybe some other choice words. :D
I did feel foolish and she just blindsided me. Will can attest to the fact that when I am ready for a fight I am quite a formidable force to reckon with. Unfortunately the lady caught me tired, and used the pregnant girl to guilt me out! :lao

·
5,547 Posts
From the sounds of things the SBN crew had some trouble with the Lazy Daze. I'm very sorry to hear this. Perhaps on the next SBN trip to the Deals Gap area everyone should consider staying somewhere else. I had a great time on my trip to Deals Gap this year as always. Sorry I missed everyone else. I arrived on May 14th and departed May 21st. I stayed at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah NC located on Rt28. 23 miles alway from the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. Which was a great warm up ride each morning when I headed out for my 7 days of riding.:)

My trip to Deals Gap and the surrounding area in the Great Smokey Mountains was a wonderful time. I had a entire week of great riding. With only one bad day which was on Wednesday when it rained for about 1/2 of the day when I was out riding. Had to run the Dragon in the rain.

Monday May 14 started out very early for me I was able to leave my house in Indiana at about 4:45am. I arrived at the Kick Stand Lodge in Stecoah NC at about 12:00 noon that day. It was a very sunny and beautiful day. After setting up my tent and screen canopy I decided to go out for a short ride. But not before I had to help Chunk, a very nice older retired man that I met last year when I stay at the KSL drag one of those zero turn lawn mowers out of the pond. He was mowing the grass and got a little to close to the edge and got stuck. After that I assisted the owner Mo with unloading her pickup truck with groceries. The I was off for a ride on Rt28 the Hell Bender to make a couple of runs of Rt129 aka the Dragon. Perfect weather and great roads what a great combination.

Tuesday May 15th Started out good after getting a good nights sleep. After getting a shower I made had a little breakfast and some coffee. Then I made my way 23 miles down Rt28 to the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort to run the Dragon early with my friends Joe and his girlfriend Melonie and his friend Steve that rode all the way from Long Island New York to make the trip with me. We had a good time riding together on the Dragon and hanging out at Deals Gap that day.

Wednesday May 16th That morning when I woke up it was very cloudy and didn't look as if it was going to be a good day. I was suppose to meet Joe and Steve at Deals Gap at 10:00am. I waited until 10:55 for them , they didn't ride that day because it was raining in Robbinsville where they were staying. Steve used that day to get new Michelin 2CT's installed on his bike at Wheelers. So we didn't hook up that day. So I rode solo. I was able to make one dry run of the Dragon with no traffic in front of me and no one behind me. After briefly stopping at the over look I decided to go out to that Foot Hills Parkway which is located further out Rt129. I was able to ride the Foot Hills Parkway into the Smokey Mountain National Park where I stopped and had lunch. Then I made my way back out the Foot Hills Parkway without encountering a single other car or motorcycle. That was awesome, just me and the bike on that great road with lots of great scenery. After getting back to Rt129 I decided to make a quick run into Maryville NC. Soon after arriving at a gas station in Maryville it began to rain very hard. So after getting gas I decided to wait it out under the awning at the gas station. After about an hour it slowed down enough and I dawned my rain gear and decided to go for it. And head back to the KSL in Stecoah. Along the way while I was traveling on Rt129 it began to rain very hard but I kept on going at a decreased speed for safety. There weren't many cars out and just a handful of other motorcycles out. I slowly made my way through the Dragon only encountering a few others who were out in the down pour that day. I finally my it back to Rt28 and the KSL. A few hours later it began to clear up and was another beautiful afternoon in the mountains. So I spent the of the afternoon hanging out with others who were also staying at the KSL and drinking beer

Thursday May 17th Started out great. I met my friend Rick and his dad Rick that came down from Cincinnati Ohio. I met them last year while riding here at home and explained to them what a great place it was to ride and they decided to show up. So I got up to Deals Gap early that day so I could make a few clean runs before that crowd showed up. Later that morning Rick and his dad showed up from Gatlinburg on there bikes. I played tour guide and ran them down Rt28 towards the Fontana Dam. When we were returning back to Deals Gap and about 5 miles away from the Gap I was running about 70 mph and a Bear runs out in front of me from the left side along the water. I jammed both brakes on and my horn at the same time and avoided hitting the Bear. Which would have caused me to wreck and messed up my bike. It was the only close call "Oh Shit" moment I had on the entire trip. I made it back the gap and ran the dragon some more. The traffic very light and I didn't get jammed up. All in all it was a good day. I couldn't get Rick and his dad to run the dragon with me so went at alone having a ball the whole way. They left and went back to Gatlinburg. Rick seemed as if it was a little to much to handle as a first timer at the Gap. There were Ferrari's, 350z"s, Mazda Miata's, Florida Sportbike group, 2-stroke group and so on. Vehicles of all kinds hauling ass around the curves what and exciting show. It give me goose bumps thinking about it as I type this. Awesome!

Friday May 18th Ran down to Franklin on Rt28 lots of decreasing radius turns, then came back and ran the dragon all day

Saturday May 19th I hooked up with FLOJOE and Red Ninja 9R from Kawi Forums. We rode the Dragon a few times to together. It was Eric's(Red Ninja 9R) first time. He had a blast. After lunch at Deals Gap the three of us decided to run the Cherahola Skyway Dragon loop. Which it about 141 miles long. It was an absolutely beautiful day to run the Cherahola Skyway. After gassing up in Tellico Plains TN we ran Rt360 north and hit 411 and ran Rt72 east back to Rt129 and back to the dragon. What a day of great riding. We could have asked for better weather sunny and low humidity. That morning on our way to Robinsville on Rt129 about a 1 miles away from Deals Gap we saw an accident involving a Kawasaki Concurs in a decreasing radius turn. And later that day on the dragon I saw a wrecked Mazda Miata.

Sunday May 20th I hooked up with FLOJOE at Deal Gap we made several runs together. Sunday must have been wreck day at the gap. A guy riding a 636 low sided. Then that afternoon when I was making my final run of the dragon back to Deals Gap I saw the worst wreck I have ever seen on the gap. A sport bike and a Honda Goldwing had collided head on about 3 miles away from the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. So after nearly being run off the road by the ambulance that was heading to the accident. I motioned everyone I passed to slow down so they would come flying up on the wreck and have a wreck themselves. I made my way off of Rt129 and onto Rt28 and back to the KSL without any further incident.

One week of flawless riding without any "oh shit" moments except for me and Smokey the Bear on Thursday. Had a great time with all that attended and everyone I met.

Below is a mixture of some of the pictures that I took during my trip. Enjoy, Jay

Attachments

·
5,547 Posts
Here's some pictures of the Kick Stand Lodge located in Stecoah NC on Rt 28. A truly wonderful place to stay if your into the outdoors. I camped there for $91.00 for 7 nights with electricity. The monument is for Mo's husband Fred who was diagnosed with inoperable cancer on October 19, 2006. After a mercifully short bout, Fred passed away on January 1, 2007. I had the pleasure of getting to know Fred during my trip to Deals Gap last May. The last time I saw Fred alive was July 4, 2006 when me and my friend Doug(SurfinGator) stopped by the KSL to say hi. Not even knowing would be the last time I would get to talk to Fred. Mo continues to run the KSL. She's a great person with lots of spirit. So if your ever in the area its a great place to stay.

Attachments

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Cool! Sounds like you had a great time!

·
5,547 Posts
During my trip to the Kickstand Lodge I found this article worthy of reading. The world is a very interesting place if you just take some time to explore your surroundings.

FAVORITE RIDES & DESTINATIONS

The Kickstand Lodge

Story by Bob “Joker” Denney ROK Member, Photos provided by Kickstand Lodge and ROK Members

It’s no secret to many Motorsports enthusiasts that the Blue Ridge Mountains and surrounding areas have some great roads; the kind that are both beautiful and challenging. Beautiful in their surroundings thanks to the panoramic views, rivers tracing alongside the roadways, bridges, dams and mountain lakes springing up around a corner. They are also challenging in their construction, as you can imagine riding the profile of a mountain range like the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP), spinning through a pass like Deal’s Gap or just wandering along the mountainsides like the Cherohala Skyway. The entire area is motorcycling Valhalla; if it’s fun rides you want, you’ll find them here in abundance.

Even considering that you’d have to work at it to find a bad one, mapping a good route is still preferable if you’re on any kind of a scheduled. I do have a handful of favorite routes that I’ve ridden, some short and some not so short, all fun. I’m going to describe a few of them for you here and hopefully make it a littler easier for you if you get the chance to visit the area. Don’t be afraid to take a side road though, it’s almost guaranteed to be another good one. While I fully understand that many, if not most riders, including myself, subscribe to the “it’s not the destination, it’s the ride” philosophy, I’m still going to use a favorite destination as the jump0-off point. It really is a great spot in itself and pretty near perfectly located to the roads and rides I like.

Nestled alongside Highway 28 near Stecoah, N.C. there’s a spot aptly named the Kickstand Lodge (KSL) and the name pretty much tells you what it is-a campground for motorcyclists and motorcyclists only. It wasn’t always the picturesque retreat for motorcyclists that it is today. Just a few short years ago it was a run down, abandoned former campground called the “Stecoah Valley Camping Resort.” Enter Fred and Mo Kunkel, a couple of great folks who also happened to be motorcycle enthusiasts, Vulcan® Nomad™ owners, and members of a riding club called the Vulcan Riders and Owners Club (VROC). Fred and Mo had been looking for just this kind of opportunity, something they could transform from the veritable sow’s ear into a silk purse of their own design. They’d had a dream for some time of opening a campground for motorcyclists, a place that would be more than a place to pitch a tent, a place that would be a “home away from home,” and this was perfect. Ok, it was far less than perfect. It was a disaster-area concrete-lined mosquito breeding ground that used to be a swimming pool. Still, Fred and Mo saw potential and went to work.

Fast forward a couple of years and the hard work is evident. The facilities have been completely renovated and now there is a bunkhouse, shower facilities, camp cabins and tent sites, a babbling brook meandering down the back side of the place and a peaceful fishpond as the centerpiece. The only thing that gets better reviews than the facility itself is the hospitality. Fred and Mo really know how to make people feel at home. It’s been said that if you’re not like family when you get there, you are when you leave.

In just a few short seasons they’ve established a regular clientele and become a “must stop” for any number of wandering riders. Organized rallies and club events are peppered across their calendar, as the atmosphere and location are ideal. Back to the rides and roads: as described, they all leave from the KSL. For more details and routes you can check out the maps here and on their Web site.

One of my favorite rides runs first to Murphy, then loops through Suches, Clayton and Franklin. Along the way you’ll see the Hiawassee Lake and Dam, and the town of Helen, a kind of transplanted Alpine village complete with shops, shops and shops. You’ll also get to “Run the Wolf” (GA 180, Wolf Pen Gap Road), which has some of the tightest turns in the state. The loop is about 274 miles and will take most of the day.

The next ride takes you through the famous Deal’s Gap and the Cherohala Skyway. While Deal’s Gap provides without question, the most challenging and exciting run in the area, the Cherohala provides arguably the most beautiful scenery and overlooks. A note of caution regarding Deal’s Gap: it is truly a dangerous road for the uniformed. It’s just intoxicating enough to draw many a rider in over their head and leave them in a pile on the roadside. Be careful! Riding this complete loop back to the KSL will cover just about 141 miles.

Yet another favorite runs up through Cherokee to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then over to Asheville. This is one excellent section of the BRP, you won’t want to miss it. Continue south to the Chimney Rock and then over to Highlands and through Franklin and back to the Kickstand. This last ten miles or so of Hwy 28 from Franklin to 19 is the favorite for many riders, myself included. Twisties, sweepers, even a switchback or two, and you’ll be grinning the whole time. You’ll also spend pretty much all day making this run as it covers 261 miles.

So there they are: three among many rides around the area. And as I said, don’t hesitate to experiment as you can’t find a bad road. Make the trip, give yourself a few days and enjoy yourself. The weather can be somewhat unpredictable; it is the mountains, but springtime is probably the best and summer is a close second. If you want to see the leaves changing, obviously fall is when you’ll shoot for but be aware of one autumn hazard – wet leaves. The overnights can deposit a lot of moisture on the roads and when that moisture combines with leaves, they combination can be as treacherous as ice. Again, be careful and ride safe!

A little postscript about the Kickstand Lodge: On October 19, 2006 Fred was diagnosed with inoperable cancer. After a mercifully short bout, Fred passed away on January1, 2007. Fred’s last months were spent with family and friends, celebrating the time he had rather than agonizing over the time he didn’t, because that was Fred’s way-his spirit was irrepressible. Mo plans to continue running the KSL, working doubly hard to see that their dream continues. If you’re in the area, make the trip. The roads are perfect for motorcycling, the mountains are gorgeous and the accommodations are, well, they’re all a traveling motorcyclist could ask for. For more information, visit Kickstandlodge.com or call 828-479-6069.

Citation

Denny, Bob. Accelerate Official Publication of Riders of Kawasaki. Feb. 2007.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

·
5,547 Posts
More Kickstand Lodge Pictures.

Attachments

·
5,547 Posts

·
Who Dat?
6,535 Posts
Nice story and cool pics Jay..

Will, when are you going to Road Atlanta? If I'm in town I'd like to drop by and say hey since I missed the Dragon trip.

OK, I'm curious about WERA too :lol

·
5,547 Posts
Randomchaos said:
Nice pictures man :). I like the looks of KSL. What are those small little shacks for?
Those are camping cabins. Not shacks as your calling them. They have a bed with linens and a place to store your baggage. Sort of like a tent with a hard roof. They also have a bunk house and some other hard cover, named the Fontana A and Fontana B. And plenty of tent camping sites with or without electricity. Also while your staying at the KSL. Mo and others help her cook breakfast and dinner on a daily basis for those who are staying there. I've never had a bad meal at the KSL. The price, you ask??? No set price for meals. Everyone gives a donation in the little red coffee can at the end of each meal. My trip only cost me $425.00 for the entire 7 days. That even included my beer money too:beer That's gas, food, lodging. I brought cereal and stuff for breakfast, and lunch stuff too. The only meal I purchased each day was my donation to the KSL for my dinner.

http://kickstandlodge.com/

·
5,547 Posts
Wakey said:
Nice story and cool pics Jay..

Will, when are you going to Road Atlanta? If I'm in town I'd like to drop by and say hey since I missed the Dragon trip.

OK, I'm curious about WERA too :lol
Thanks man. The KSL is my mountain paradise. It's inexpensive, fun and Mo is a wonderful women that keeps the place running like a well oiled machine.

·
5,547 Posts
2000ktm said:
nice cabin. I'm going to check out the web site right now
Tell them Jay from Indiana sent you:)

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
Pretty sure me and my g/f are going to try staying there this August. It looks really nice, and seems to be right in the middle of some great riding.

1861 - 1878 of 1878 Posts