Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 1878 Posts

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok everyone! A lot of people are wanting to plan trips to Deals Gap to run The Dragon this year and I have been asked by more than a few to try and organize a trip down so I am going try my best folks (Kevinwilly will also be a contact person in this)! We do have a few kinks in the system so please bear with me while we get them ironed out. First kink will be the dates. Due to me running the WERA circuit and NESBA and possibly CCS this year I have a limited number of 3 day weekends I can burn. We are aiming for May for the trip as I have races just about every weekend the month before and the month after and will not have any other free time until August. I have 2 weekends set aside:

:edit May12th-14th will be the dates! My dept. finally released the schedule for in-service and it ends the 11th and we are back on regular schedule the 12th and it is a 3 day weekend for me.

May 12th-14th (contigent on my depts. in-service schedule that I will check in the morning. This would be a great weekend as some of the great crew from the Florida forum will be ( :dblthumb Snow and Onetrick ) and we could really invade the place in SBN STYLE!!

May 26th-28th will be the back up weekend. Or if necessary we can run two weekends.

If we can get enough people involved I will try and check on group rates for hotels in the area and try to line up some fun things for us. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please chime in and let us know. I will try my best to keep this thread updated regularly. Throw your name in the hat folks and lets get to RRRRUUUUUMMMMMBBBBLLLLEEEE the Mountain!!

***************UPDATE*************************

Some lodging info that we have been able to secure:
In Townsend, TN. we have been able to setup an arrangement with Lazy Daze Campground for a 20% discount off their regular prices. They have 8 cabins and 4 motel rooms available. Just to let everyone know, that when you make your reservations and you pay by CC they charge 2 night's stay on your card right then. They will let you mail in a check but it must be mailed within 30 days of making the reservations. Here is the link to their website: http://www.lazydazecampground.com/ and tell them you are part of the SBN group. They also offered up use of the pavillion one night if we wanted a cookout or something.

I spoke with with Terry and Linda with www.twowheelinn.com and currently they have 8 rooms available for those dates and they are $76.77 a night for two people and taxes are included. This motel has attached bike garages.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Ok- obviously i'm in for sure.

I'm also going to try to book some cabins for a group of about 15-20 people, if we get that many.

So if you're wanting in, let me know FOR SURE, and i can go ahead and book the spaces.

The cabins will have garages for the bikes, and if we fill them up, they should be no more than about 25 bucks a night per person.

Let's make this happen! I've been drying to put a face to a lot of these names, and I need to get out of Illinois once in a while!

My AIM name is the same as my username on here, so contact me through there if you have any specific questions.

:)

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
So speaks the Dragon Slayer...:D

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have been waiting for this one bro!!!!!!!!! I don't give a damn what the date I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Squid Poacher
1,831 Posts
Considering the other thread about a serious law enforcement crackdown is this still a good idea?
Not that i'd be able to go anyway as I have a mtn bike race scheduled for just about every weekend till mid summer.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Honestly, I'm going more to see the roads and scenery and to meet all of you knuckleheads than to break speed limits.

Seriously, there's gonna be cookouts, BEER, hot tubbing, BEER, motorcycles, BEER (not the same time as the motorcycles).

What's not to love?

I think it'll be a good time, and the law enforcement isn't going to get anything but more strict. Best to get there before they ban motorcycles all together or something silly.

You can go at a reasonable pace and still have a good time, i'm sure.

:)

·
Banned
420 Posts
If you have never been in a hot tub after a long day of riding, that is enough of a reason to go. :cheers

It's also fun to have everyone bring a 6 pack of their favorite beer and have the equivalent of a beer tasting, although I am more of a rum and coke or cider fan myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
scatterbrained said:
Considering the other thread about a serious law enforcement crackdown is this still a good idea?
Not that i'd be able to go anyway as I have a mtn bike race scheduled for just about every weekend till mid summer.

I'm a local guy and ride The Gap often. The police only crack down once or twice a yr. and usually don't bother you even if you have a knee down if you are riding smart (in your on lane, not passing b/c its double lined all the way, etc.). Count me in on being there, it would be great to meet some of you guys and gals.

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VOL600RR said:
I'm a local guy and ride The Gap often. The police only crack down once or twice a yr. and usually don't bother you even if you have a knee down if you are riding smart (in your on lane, not passing b/c its double lined all the way, etc.). Count me in on being there, it would be great to meet some of you guys and gals.

:dblthumb Sounds good to us bro!

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
A few of us in the NC Forum are going to be there on May 25th (a friday), and probably til lunch time or so on the 26th. If you're by chance there then, we'll get together for a bit. :)

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TRaGiK said:
A few of us in the NC Forum are going to be there on May 25th (a friday), and probably til lunch time or so on the 26th. If you're by chance there then, we'll get together for a bit. :)

Sounds like a good plan bro! :dblthumb

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I'd love to go but its too close to the start of my work season.
Awe Jim it would be awesome if you could go!! I'd love to see you! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
My group from Detroitsportbikes.com will be there from May 30th - June 2nd. Looks like we will just miss you guys. DAMMIT!! There will be about 18 of us. We rented the Tree Tops and the Ridge. They look like a great place to stay.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, i have heard the tree tops and ridge are GREAT. They are rented out for when we want to go, though. :(

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TwistedGray said:
If someone wants to bring an extra bike and pick me up from a nearby airport, I might be in.

I'm not asking too much am I?

If I still had a spare bike bro I'd hook ya up!

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have a spare bike, but it's not gonna be ANYWHERE near the gap.

Sorry, man!

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
I have a bike but I don't know if I want to take that much time off and ride it out there. I doubt any californians want to waste the time either because the roads out here are effing great anways.
Arggggg

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
well i might be in for the second set of dates at the end of may... i cant do the earlier one's due to a wedding/honeymoon which will be more fun :D so... i could at the least squeeze one day minimum to come up with the woman for a run on the gap with everyone...

1 - 20 of 1878 Posts