Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea is inspired by a nearly identical relay on svrider.com. The basic idea is to have an item of some sort that we pass off from one member to the next across the continent... A relay, of sorts!

My plan is to put together a small 'kit' that we pass off from one rider to the next. The kit would be a small pelican case with a 'SBN (or sportbikes.net or whatever) Relay Across North America' label on it. Inside the pelican case would be:
-a notebook that every member could sign their name, their location, route taken for relay, and any notes they want to add
-a thumb drive to add pictures along the route to
-a bunch of stickers that every member who participates can take one of
-a small gnome (since yard gnomes are too big)

I guess we'd need permission from the admin of the site to create a custom sticker for this relay. This is something that can be worked out later if there is even enough interest to do a relay. Depending upon the cost to get the stickers made, the pelican case, and the thumb drive, I may have to ask for some small donations from the group interested in doing this to cover costs.

I have created a Google Map here: SBN Relay Map
1) Each rider will add a shape that covers the area that they are willing to travel to this Google map
2) You will have to create an account in order to edit the map if you don't already have one (directions for adding your area are on the Google map)
3) Riders will meet up at a reasonable location to exchange the 'relay kit'
4) The length of a ride will be at the riders' discretion, but the relay should include as many SBN members as possible.
5) Members should take as many pictures as possible to add to the thumb drive to chronicle the journey of the 'relay kit'
6) ONLY SBN MEMBERS ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY THE 'RELAY KIT'
7) THIS IS NOT A RACE!!!! It doesn't matter if it takes 6 months, a year, or two years to finish... In fact, I don't even know what 'finished' would entail yet... The lower 48? Lower 48 plus all Canadian provinces? 49 states (except HI) + all Canadian provinces + Mexico? It depends on the interest level here, I guess.

Once the game kicks off, I'll start a new 'Roaming gnome' thread that members can post in to tell who has the kit at the moment and who will pick it up. We can also post roaming gnome threads in the regional subforums as well, as the kit passes through.

Since most members here in the northern part of the country have their bikes winterized during the winter, I am envisioning this kicking off in the spring after we get enough people willing to do the relay added to the map. If there is enough interest in the south, we can start it down south sooner than the spring. I ride year round, so if there is a chain of members willing to pass it south, we'll start it as soon as the map fills up enough.

I hope this idea gets as much interest here (actually more!) as it did on svrider... So start adding your shapes to the map!

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is similar to something I participated in a few years back on FZ6-forum. It was fun, we used a messenger bag and added something small each time it changed hands. Unfortunately the west-coasters let us down, and my leg from Roswell to Four Corners was the last one. It started in Maine and was supposed to make it to California.

I would be all for doing it again on here, but you might have better luck getting it going in the summer, a lot of people are wusses in the cold.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Interesting idea. I'm game for it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
But I dont Like Disney world

Several forums have done this sort of thing over the years, from a Signed Cape, to I guess a relay kit. Basically the same idea. I guess the idea is to build some sort of comradery, but usually its specific brand Bike forums that have done it.

Am I interested, not really, but no reason to spoil someone eleses fun.

·
freetors
640 Posts
Dang some of you guys are really willing to put in some miles for this....

Just my area would take an entire days ride to get across if I take gravel roads, which I probably would. I would likely follow the Oklahoma TAT route for a large section of my area.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm in..............................

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I am in BFE, but sounds like fun.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
zx6e.com did something similar only they passed around a stuffed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.:D

·
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
1,135 Posts
I'm down once warm weather returns.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I could get as far south as omaha or hastings, but I would be cheating and driving my truck.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I can relay it thru tallahassee to Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi

·
Registered
138 Posts
Im trying to draw a shape on the map but for some reason the cursor just turns back into a hand and drags the map around instead of drawing...Im obviously not qualified to operate google! Anyhow I'm in Atlanta and can relay it within a couple hours in all directions.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im trying to draw a shape on the map but for some reason the cursor just turns back into a hand and drags the map around instead of drawing...Im obviously not qualified to operate google! Anyhow I'm in Atlanta and can relay it within a couple hours in all directions.
Don't click and hold down while dragging. Click and release, and then drag. Once you get to a point that you're happy with, click again. Continue doing this until you get complete your shape and click back on the original point you started with.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Once I get another bike (tax return is gonna be 3-5 grand at this point. guess where it's goin? :D) , I'm down, and available from just about anywhere in western canada with enough notice.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts