Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does SBN host any actual IRC server for chatting or is the flashchat.php the only conduit to this site feature? If a full bore IRC server isnt' currently maintained I'd like to request it. I think it would be ideal for those of us with too much idle time on our hands or simply bored at work to be able to use our prefered IRC client, connect to irc.sportbikes.net:6667 and join various channels and waste the day away.

·
Super Moderator
14,141 Posts
flashchat is sapposed to take care of everything in those lines.. However having some issues with it right now.. It has rooms and so forth.. very nicely scripted. Plus its web based so proxy servers and firewalls are not a problem

·
Super Moderator
14,141 Posts
Makaveli said:
yeah I'd love to 0wn some ppl in IRC.........
Also the other reason I dont run it on a IRC server.. script kiddies have a field day with it. Believe me I was one of them back in the day on Efnet.

Anyways besides the Kline and kill for opers.. it sucks

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer to use my own web-based IRC client (CGI:IRC - http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net), personal preference, hosted on my own webserver. I've never liked ANY of the java-based chat clients.

I'm certainly familiar with the security headaches that come with maintaining a fullbore IRC server. I wasn't volunteering to host an IRC server for you, I don't want that headache ;) I was just curious if you had one that I didn't know about. Because, in that case, I'd like to use it :)

·
Super Moderator
14,141 Posts
TheWraith said:
I prefer to use my own web-based IRC client (CGI:IRC - http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net), personal preference, hosted on my own webserver. I've never liked ANY of the java-based chat clients.

I'm certainly familiar with the security headaches that come with maintaining a fullbore IRC server. I wasn't volunteering to host an IRC server for you, I don't want that headache ;) I was just curious if you had one that I didn't know about. Because, in that case, I'd like to use it :)
Well that was the thing.. and why i found flashchat.. i want it to people couldnt just use someone elses name.. with that irc server your talking about.. anyone can login as me and pretend they are me :)

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just implement a ChanServ and NickServ to authenticate access. Problem solved. But, anways, if you don't have an IRC environment already established it's a pain to get one setup, tightened down, and operational and I'm not suggesting it - just wanted to know if you had one I wasn't aware of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts