Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a bike for as long as I can remember and after spending some time on a buddy's old 1982 Kawi 650 I am convinced that now's that time to begin my journey into the sport. I say journey because between locating a training course, searching for bikes, and reading old discussions like those on this site, I have quickly realized the responsibility of being a new rider.

I have to say that I truly appreciate all the advice i've been seeing from veteran riders on this site. Everything from bike choice to riding tips...I appreciate the thought you guys put into this stuff.

So, before I revive what appears to be an age old debate, I want to describe myself and the type of riding I intend to be doing. I'm 6'3, 200lbs, currently have little experience, have felt cautiously confident every time I've been on a bike, am scheduled to take a novice riding course, and fully intend to use all the recommended safety gear when I'm riding.

I have no intention of buying a supersport bike or riding like a bat out of hell, but I do want to have some fun in the twisties when I'm not commuting. I'd also like to do some light weekend touring.

To the debate: what kind of bike do i get? I'll throw my ideas out there: SV650, Ninja 650R, or an FZ6. The FZ6 is the biggest of the three in terms of overall size, and really feels the most comfortable. However, I like the light weight feel of the ninja and suzuki. These are all middleweights that I know are probably capable of kicking my ass - but I feel (and have been told by fellow riders) that a guy of my stature on one of the aforementioned bikes is not much different that a 120lbs woman starting out on a ninja 250 or 500.

That said, I'm completely open to the idea of a smaller bike if any other tall/big guys out there can tell me they've felt comfortable spending time on them. Personally, I felt like they were too small (in size, not just displacement) for me. Additionally, I have repeatedly been told that having the power to get out of the way of moving hazards is very important when riding in traffic.

I haven't been able to ride any of the bike that I've really been interested in yet. I've ridden the 250 before, and it was a fun little bike. Really easy to throw around, but I felt like the engine just wasn't powerful enough for my weight. The guy who owned it was about 5'6 and weighed maybe 140 and felt he'd outgrown the bike in a matter of months.

So far, every taste I've gotten of this sport has made me want more, and yes, you could say I'm eager. I do want to be safe about this though. Shoot me some opinions - I'm open to them all.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Welcome to the site :twofinger <<<--- standard greeting

Good to have you aboard

--Get your gear 1st
--Take the MSF course

Just because you're tall dosen't make you have a clue how to ride...One of the best motorcycle racers in the world right now is 5'1" and weighs 110lbs...And I guarantee you he started riding on a low cc bike...

It's not about just going in a straight line...Riding, more importantly riding well, is something you learn over time...It's not a given...It's something you aquire just by being in the saddle...Remember, this is your 1st bike, not your last...

Get yourself a GS 500 and hop in the saddle for a while, then upgrade...You won't be sorry...

Because over the many years I've been riding, I've heard countless stories of people who bought big to start, only to later admit they regretted it...I've never once heard someone start small and be sorry about it....

Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more power doesn't equal more good???

Yeah, I have to say that I expected to hear that. Like most guys, I love the idea of having more power. B***** is better right? Well, if it's true as you (and most other people on forums like this) say, and starting small will make me a better rider, then that's where I want to be. I know I'll have fun either way. I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the suzuki vs kawi 500's? I hate the 80's look of ninja 500's, but the GS500 almost looks too much like the gixxer not to scream out I'm a wannabe.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Welcome to SBN :twofinger! Enjoy your stay.

As stated before.. this will be your first bike, not your last. I would have to agree... pick up the GS500 and don't worry what everyone else is thinking.... ride your ride and soon your riding skills will speak for themselves.

·
Registered
899 Posts
YeahI'mANooB said:
Yeah, I have to say that I expected to hear that. Like most guys, I love the idea of having more power. B***** is better right? Well, if it's true as you (and most other people on forums like this) say, and starting small will make me a better rider, then that's where I want to be. I know I'll have fun either way. I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the suzuki vs kawi 500's? I hate the 80's look of ninja 500's, but the GS500 almost looks too much like the gixxer not to scream out I'm a wannabe.
If you KNOW you will not have the bike but for one season of "learning" and getting seat time and experiance then I would just pick up whatever you find a good deal on. (250/500r...gs500...etc.)

The kawi 500r is a nice bullet proof bike...20 year old design which means parts are everywhere and the bike will last forever.

I hear good things about the ninja 650r :) course I am a little biased to kawi :neener

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to SBN. One of the fellow SBNers and good friend of mine went to Jennings and ran the FZ6 on the track. He well enough to enjoy the ride, and infact, when we're at home hitting the twisties he seems to keep up with myself and Officer737 without much problem, except (the tires he runs, they're sport touring and not SS tires), so you might want to get his imput on riding the bike. The others might not be as comfortable for you. I guess I should have mentioned I ride GSXR1K, and Will rides GSRX600 which are SS's that you mentioned you didn't want.

But yeah... make sure you at least get minimum of jacket, gloves and helmet before getting on the bike, and pants for it as soon as you can. But without being a SS bike, I've watched how the FZ6 has handled riding with us and it looks good, and would fit your structure. Give FZ6DUDE a pm for futher info, he can give you the goods and bads of the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts