Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! i do not yet own a bike, but wanted to get in here and learn a little something before deciding on exactly what brand or size etc i am going to purchase. i always try to be cautious to make good decisions. i was originally looking at a ZX6R but have now started looking into something a little b***** (900cc range). i am only 5'6" so will definetely be looking out for ways of lowering it down a little if possible. i can ride, but a few inches could only help. look forward to learning a little something.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hehehe, first let me say Howdy, now put on your flame suit

It says "..trying to learn" for "Sportbike" in your little bio under your name.

A ZX6R is NOT a good bike to learn on. A b***** bike is even worse.

If this is your first bike, go to the "New Riders" section, and ask people there what bike you should start on.. they'll give you some good advice.

Enjoy your stay man, hope you learn some shizzle like I did :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can ride. been doing dirtbikes for years, and have several friends with sportbikes that i ride from time to time. i am no stunt master, but could ride anywhere. i am just not sure of what i want to buy for myself. i definitely want something that doesnt have to be worked on all the time (Y6 that my boy owns is always problems).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm afraid that Matt's right about getting flamed. Most folks on the board have very little patience for folks that they percieve as squids (no disrespect intended). Hopefully you'll find some useful info here that will help you select a ride that is not out of your league. Lemme be the first to recommend an MSF course to help you gain some skills for the road. Whatever you choose and decide to do, always be safe and always wear your gear. Whatever you decide to purchase, I hope that you have as much fun on yours as I have on mine.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
I rode dirtbikes for a while too. Let me be the first to tell ya that street riding is a whole 'nother can of worms. Don't get me wrong, you're obviously more prepared for street riding than someone who has never been on a bike, but just don't think that X years riding dirt = X years on the street.

A 600 wouldn't be bad if you've got plenty of dirt background, but I'd suggest you don't get a newer model. A used CBR600F2 (or F3), SV650S, YZF600 all wouldn't be bad bikes to start out on if you've been riding dirt for a while. If you're looking for somthing that doesn't need to be worked on all the time, get familiar with how bikes should look mechnically.. this shouldn't be hard since some of your friends ride, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind ya looking over their bikes.

I rode dirt for a while too when I was younger, and my SVS was a handfull when learning how to ride.

Remember, the smaller you start the faster you will learn how to ride well.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
ill bet ya that you cant "ride". you might be able to ride from here to starbucks, but when it comes down to it, i bet you suck at riding. im not trying to be an asshole, but just cuz you rode your friends "Y6" a few times does not make you experienced enough for a 900cc bike. MAYBE an older 600(ie. cbr f2 or f3) would be a good choice for a n00b like yourself.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
If you've done dirtbikes for "years", an SV650 or older model 600, like the ones mentioned above, would be a good starter bike...

·
Registered
912 Posts
YEa i aggree. Try to get a older 600cc with low miles. Hondas are the best for reliability. Nothin newer than '99

·
Registered
21 Posts
welcome...

i recently took my msf class with a kid who rode dirtbikes. he'd been riding for around 15 years. his skills were good, but he was the first to say "street riding is nothing like riding in dirt". he decided to buy something 500ish in nature (think kawi ex500) and work up. it's a smart choice.

a big, fast, beautiful bike won't do you any good if you screw yourself up too much to ride it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
snigg said:
ill bet ya that you cant "ride". you might be able to ride from here to starbucks, but when it comes down to it, i bet you suck at riding. im not trying to be an asshole, but just cuz you rode your friends "R6" a few times does not make you experienced enough for a 900cc bike. MAYBE an older 600(ie. cbr f2 or f3) would be a good choice for a n00b like yourself.
actually we have ridden from here (north AL) to daytona, and ft. lauderdale twice, so starbucks is a little grammar school. i stated very clearly i dont stunt around, but can ride, so that is no BS. second i never said i rode the R6 (which i have) only that it broke alot. third i guess since the first florida trip was on CBR929 and the second Kaw.ZX12R i will be alright on a biger bike. although i must admit the 1200cc is pretty scary, it seemed a little wheelie happy. i have no problem being flamed a little, i am guilty myself, but please read the post and get your flaming correct. i never said "i cant ride, someone teach me". i simply wanted to learn something on the mechanical and technical end before i invest my own money. :twofinger

·
Registered
126 Posts
No longer than yesterday, some dude from a local forum decided to tag along with my regular riding group. He had a gorgeous '03 R6. He started to ride late last year. At first, he was doing very good. Heck, he was on my tail most of the time. He say he did alot of dirt bike riding. He was actually pretty good for someone with that little experience.

I was leading the group when I noticed a sign saying "slower". Then, all of a sudden, thing got a little tricky : big bump at the apex of a fast left hand sweeper. I got off the throttle a adjusted my line, but still got a little wobble, nothing too bad, I dove back in the curve and everything was cool. until I took a peek in my rear view mirror. I saw the R6 sliding and the guy right after it. The wobble scared him and he hit the front brake, locked up the front wheel and took a dive.

Rider was a little confused after the crash and had only a few scratches. He was lucky as Hell. Bike was messed up (probably gonna be totaled).

My point is : dirt bikes give you some skill, but they don't give you experience. Riders need to develop a sense for the road, and that is only acquired by doing mileage. If that guy had some experience, he could have saved it, like me and my other buddies did. He probably would have corrected his line and/or stayed cool after the wobble and leaned the bike in.

Today's Super Sportbikes, including 600 cc's, are very nimble but often twitchy and nervous in certain circumstances. Folow the recommendations people are giving you, start with a more toned down bike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
shorty1993 said:
actually we have ridden from here (north AL) to daytona, and ft. lauderdale twice, so starbucks is a little grammar school. i stated very clearly i dont stunt around, but can ride, so that is no BS. second i never said i rode the Y6 (which i have) only that it broke alot. third i guess since the first florida trip was on CBR929 and the second Kaw.ZX12R i will be alright on a biger bike. although i must admit the 1200cc is pretty scary, it seemed a little wheelie happy. i have no problem being flamed a little, i am guilty myself, but please read the post and get your flaming correct. i never said "i cant ride, someone teach me". i simply wanted to learn something on the mechanical and technical end before i invest my own money. :twofinger
OK, I'll ask what's on everyone's mind. What the heck is a Y6?

You can't ride. You have RIDDEN. You survived. That is all. If you've ridden as much as 40 hours on a bike (which I doubt), you've done it for a single workweek. If you went to a new job and worked a week, would you consider yourself capable of risking your life on your performance? Because that's exactly what you're doing.

I'm sure you're going to continue to insist that you can ride, and that you're going to buy whatever bike you want, regardless of the size. Search around the forums here, and see how that's working out for folks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wanna move up to the Y6, where can I find one of Those? :twofinger

Hey, welcome to the board. Good luck with whatever you get, and if you aren't a know-it-all, cocky, sob, you can learn something here.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
freeride said:
OK, I'll ask what's on everyone's mind. What the heck is a Y6?

You can't ride. You have RIDDEN. You survived. That is all. If you've ridden as much as 40 hours on a bike (which I doubt), you've done it for a single workweek. If you went to a new job and worked a week, would you consider yourself capable of risking your life on your performance? Because that's exactly what you're doing.

I'm sure you're going to continue to insist that you can ride, and that you're going to buy whatever bike you want, regardless of the size. Search around the forums here, and see how that's working out for folks.
excuse me, R6. you dont have a clue if i can ride or not. i say you cant ride, so what does that mean....nothing!!! i have RIDDEN much more than 40 hours, and i am not going to insist on anything. it is not like i came on here saying i am getting haybusa and will be spraying it. i clearly said i want to learn something. apparently my idea and yours of knowing how to ride are different, it is all surviving no matter how long you have been on one IMO. it is not my skill that i fear as much as other people disregard to bikes. i dont think that dirt bikes prepare you for what you encounter on the road, as well i dont think that street time would prepare someone for the trail. they are different beasts all together. think you can keep up with me on a dirt bike Mr. big shit. if not should i try to slam you for it? i came on here friendly looking to learn something and a couple of you can find nothing better to do than try to bash. if you cant come up with something educated or nice to say ...STFU...i made no claims to anything. some are trying to informative.

Hey, welcome to the board. Good luck with whatever you get, and if you aren't a know-it-all, cocky, sob, you can learn something here.

Ride safe.
i am not, i said i was looking to learn something about bikes before investing my own money. thanks for the welcome, seems they are hard to come by around here. i am a member of a couple of other auto boards and have never seen anyone flamed on so bad for absolutely no reason. :confused:

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Welcome to SBN

Point Blank:
Your not the first newb to come on here wanting a bike that they think they can ride,looking for advise.

We see this day in,day out and we see every day someone posting of someone being killed.Most of the time it's a newb on a bike b***** than they can handle.And yes you are a newb,when you have ridden 5,6 or 7000 miles you will just be learning what to do to save your life on the road.

Your not ready for a big bike no matter what you say and you can go to any other bike forum and they will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
ok pal, maybe you think you can, but im willing to bet you cant. go get on your Y6 and head to starbucks :twofinger :lol jk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alaska cajun said:
Welcome to SBN

Point Blank:
Your not the first newb to come on here wanting a bike that they think they can ride,looking for advise.

We see this day in,day out and we see every day someone posting of someone being killed.Most of the time it's a newb on a bike b***** than they can handle.And yes you are a newb,when you have ridden 5,6 or 7000 miles you will just be learning what to do to save your life on the road.

Your not ready for a big bike no matter what you say and you can go to any other bike forum and they will tell you the same thing.
never denied the fact that i am a newbie and i am well aware of that i still have alot to learn. i am confused on why some say b***** than you can handle, 600cc is pretty small which was my main consideration. i cant see buying a 250 ninja, i guess i could hang with the girls then. :) or the rest of the squids. maybe i was unclear in my posts or some folks have difficulty with english..but i did not come here to argue with anyone and dont plan to start.

Lemme be the first to recommend an MSF course to help you gain some skills for the road.
what is this course, never heard of it. hell we probably dont even have them around here. i guess i could travel for one. do you guys think it is safe to ride and drink my mochachino or should pull over? :)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Some people just won't listen. This guy wants a 900cc bike, so he's gonna get a 900cc bike, or a Y6. You do have an MSF class in your area (at least within an hour or two max I'm guessing). Take the course, it qualifies you for an insurance discount through alot of companies and will get you the MUCH-NEEDED low speed maneuvering skills. You might *think* you can ride, maybe you can, but with your small amount of riding experience you PROBABLY can't ride that well. Also just to let you know, most motorcycle fatalities are one vehicle accidents, IE bike runs off road into tree, or bike does wheelie because squid thinks he's cool and things go wrong, etc.

Let me ask you this....what makes you think a 600cc bike will be too small for you? I guarantee you that you won't be able to ride the 600 to it's full potential for a long while (maybe never), so why do you need the 900+cc bike?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It obvious you aren't about to listen to anyone on this, so get what you want. You're best bet is to visit the online forums for the particular bikes you are intersted in and ask about the maintenance problems there. Here you have a wide variety of bikes, there they will probably have a little more specific insight. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, even though I truly believe in starting small.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
People on here don't think it's a good idea when nOObs talk about a bike b***** than a 500 for their first bike. There is no point in trying to argue because they are right for the most part. Try checking the New Rider Section.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts