Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with experience please tell me if they know of any way to sandblast plastic. More specific what type of sand or shell to use to take the paint off of my bikes fairings. It is a fresh paint job (2 months) and I hand sanded the original paint off. Now it has 4 coats od base, and 6 coats of clear. Too damn much to elbow grease it off! Any help is appreciated.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
yeh anythign that east paing will also eat plastic. they are very close chemically. just use a DA sander man, shouldn't take long.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Don't use any stripers. Some will eat the plastic some won't but there is only one way to know. Use a DA on it it will come off pretty easy. Or just use your arms a little. I do this stuff every day at my shop. You should be able to sand the whole bike in 1 day. I don't use a sand blaster on plastic because it will put pits in the plastic. Then you have to fill the pits to make the paint smoth. Just use sand paper or a Da and keep the Da moving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am very familiar with this also. I have about 45 cars under my belt as far as prep/painting. The stripper is not an option to me. Even if it would not harm the plastics, it is too much of a mess. I like the ol' 12" air file myself but a little tough on plastics. I have just prepped this bike and painted it about 3 months ago but the paint was only the original and was much thinner than what I have on there now. It took probally 10 hrs of solid water sanding with 280, 400,600, then 1200. I hate to see how long it is going to take to chew through 10 coats. I guess it is back to the old elbow grease if I can't sand blast it. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts