Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first group ride I was on with alot of twisty's is the one described below. Great stretches of road to ride on.

Motor on up the 15 North (Everyone in Staggered Formation Please. Don't be shy, it's safest and looks cool) Exit 15 North onto West Bernardo Rd/Pomerado Rd.

Right Turn at the Light and Up to make the Left (First Light) for Wonderful Highland Valley Road. This here piece of real estate is a nice little warm up for things to come. Mind the few decreasing radius turns towards the center of the run down Highland.

Run Highland down into the 67 and hang the left to enter Ramona.

Please be respectful of the community, No Squidly stuff here and do the speed limit.

Right Turn onto Third Street. A few nice little turns here. Follow it down to Old Julian Highway.

It's a left turn onto Old Julian by the way. Well strap on tight, cuz it's going to start getting a little tighter here on Old Julian Highway.

We'll run that to the end and run back into the 67 and run that on into Santa Ysabel for a little break, some gas and personal gogo juice.

There is a couple nice sections on the way into Santa "Y" so if we have played our cards right you will soon have another ear to ear grin, just incase you had lost it after OJ Hwy

Ok once rested and fueled, now it's time to take the left out of the Gas Stop and head back to the 79, right turn here. Nice little straight but beware the PoPo are usually lurking with the Magic Systems to give you a little yellow slip : :sad

Down the 79 and we make a left onto Mesa Grande. Well if you haven't tightened your straps down you better do it now. We are gonna haul for a pretty fast fist little bit and then brake it down hard for a tight left and some nice twisties. Then it's pretty fast again and please mind the 15MPH Sign, it is off camber and eats bikes whose riders don't honor that 15MPH, plus it is always dirty as the home owner does not like bikers.

Well we will make the run through the trees, some real tight stuff here folks. Mind your P's and Q's please. Down the hill and oops there is another one of those corners that needs to be done at 15MPH. Bottom out and turn left to hit the 76.

Motor on down the 76 until we reach the S7 turn off

Ah yeah Baby, Now the real fun begins. This here road is commonly referred as the "Fast Side" of Palomar. If you are skilled the last half of the road does not require any brake usage. But don't try that for the first few times please. This here is gonna be better than Mister Toads Wild Ride at Disneyland b b

We are gonna see some fast chicanes, tight decreasings, fast sweepers, and then some nice tight stuff.

Once at the top, we are gonna haul off to the right down past the Fire Station and go hang out with and meet some more of our fellow enthusiasts that are parked over at "Mother's Cafe". We'll chill here for a bit and then it's off to the tight side.

We'll saddle back up and head out down the tight side of Palomar and make the safety pass all the way to the base. Then we will commence to all having fun running the tight side a few times. Some will make runs all the way up and down from the seanic turn out about 8 miles up. Others will just make runs there at the seanic spot.

Once everyone has their fill of that we will saddle up for the run all the way down the 76 and into Pala for some Gas and GoGo Juice. We'll chill and then head out making a left back onto the76 and motor on down to the Training Grounds Cut off. We'll turn left onto the Training grounds road. It starts off with a couple sweepers and a decreasing radius that bites a few riders now and again. The get ready for the "Flicking Drill"

We'll run this until we dump onto Lilac, This will be a right turn here. We'll run lilac, Old Castle then back onto Old Hwy 395. Some like to make the right to get right on the 15, but me, I have fond memories of making the left and riding the frontage road down to Deer Springs Road (Note CHP love the DSR On Ramp) then it's onto the 15 and a nice cruise home.

·
Registered
113 Posts
GREAT write up!!! Ive Ridden all the stuff you talked about except for 67, but it sounds like a great ride. I just might have to go ride it tomorrow!!
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yea great post. Ill check that out one of these days. Looks fun!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
+1 Rascus, I know you miss them, I will keep those roads warm for you dude:banana . If anybody on SBN lives at least 2 to 4 hours from San Diego/L.A. do not leave the west coast without taking that ride. You will be in Heaven (or Hell if you are not careful)

BTW, the old 67 is F'ed up so be careful

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Down the 79 and we make a left onto Mesa Grande. Well if you haven't tightened your straps down you better do it now. We are gonna haul for a pretty fast fist little bit and then brake it down hard for a tight left and some nice twisties. Then it's pretty fast again and please mind the 15MPH Sign, it is off camber and eats bikes whose riders don't honor that 15MPH, plus it is always dirty as the home owner does not like bikers.

This area here is notorious for taking out the over-confident rider. I don't know if they are still there but there are two really bad corners there and the riders painted large red X's to warn the riders. So becareful.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
I ride that route almost every weekend, although I take the back way to Highland Valley Road since I am already in Poway. I didn't know it had a name and I do leave Palomar out most times. :)

And Mesa Grande is a blast, watch for cow poo poo and cows, which meander to the middle of the road for you to ride around. When you hit the bottom and turn left to 76, I turn right, ride through the Hideout parking lot (a harley bar/eatery) and wave at all the folks who just sit and stare :) I make sure I do this same route on the Sportster, although they tend to wave more...go figure.

Excellent write up, Rascus!

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortantely I can't take the credit for the write. A guy from a local San Diego board wrote it up. It was tailored after a guy named Rick who's nickname was "Hammer" He found the route out, been riding it for years.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Rascus said:

This area here is notorious for taking out the over-confident rider. I don't know if they are still there but there are two really bad corners there and the riders painted large red X's to warn the riders. So becareful.
Yep, it is still there, and still dangerous

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rascus said:

i agree. be carefull on the mesa grande. there is a deceasing radius right turn with the apex on the top of a hill. The topper of this turn is that there is a dirt road right there that spits out sand and gravel right on the top. ive waited at the bottom of the hill waiting for riders only to go back and find them out in the field with a bunch a battle wounds all over their baby. luckly never seen anyone get injured there tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts