Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I was in an accident and my bike was a little messed up. The insurance company called it totaled. I was allowed to buy it back for about $400. I did this because the damage was extremely minimal as far as getting it rideable. Is the title now a salvage title?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, the title should be "salvage", which is illegal to ride, and cannot be registered for use or to insure. You have to get it repaired to some legal status, then get it inspected by a state official, you can then apply for a "rebuilt" title, which can be registered. At least that is how it works in Georgia.

Currently i do not have a title for my bike at all, which is driving me crazy. The title, which is a salvage, was lost. The guy I bought it from never got the title from the guy he bought it from(dont ask why). It was a good deal, and now the bike is at 90% complete(it sat for a few years, so all the rubber is screwed). I am having to have my mechanic friend get an abandoned title in his name, and then "sell" it to me. Hopefully I can get it inspected shortly after, and get the rebuilt title, and insure the damn thing. For now I have a dealer tag on it, and I dont know what all crap I would catch in the event of an accident.

In short:
Check the dmv.gov site for your state, it will tell you what they require.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
climb21cj said:
Yes, the title should be "salvage", which is illegal to ride, and cannot be registered for use or to insure. You have to get it repaired to some legal status, then get it inspected by a state official, you can then apply for a "rebuilt" title, which can be registered. At least that is how it works in Georgia.

Currently i do not have a title for my bike at all, which is driving me crazy. The title, which is a salvage, was lost. The guy I bought it from never got the title from the guy he bought it from(dont ask why). It was a good deal, and now the bike is at 90% complete(it sat for a few years, so all the rubber is screwed). I am having to have my mechanic friend get an abandoned title in his name, and then "sell" it to me. Hopefully I can get it inspected shortly after, and get the rebuilt title, and insure the damn thing. For now I have a dealer tag on it, and I dont know what all crap I would catch in the event of an accident.

In short:
Check the dmv.gov site for your state, it will tell you what they require.
gimme the VIN and or License plate and I will tell you what information you need if any.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes it is salvaged. when did you buy the bike back? you should be issued a new title that says it is a salvaged vehicle. good luck on this whole process of getting it repaired and registered. it is a pain in the ass, at least it was for me in PA. Don't expect the DMV to take any less than a month and a half to re-issue you a title once you get it fixed. after all that you can get it registered.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here in Arkansas it is easy. I ordered my cousin's bike for him out of Michigan. Then we got a written form from the mechanic that sold it to us stating it was in perfect mechanical shape and safe for the rode. Then we took the bike and the form to the sheriffs office and had their guy look at it. He came outside and glanced at it once. Then took the paper and matched the vins, then signed it and said okay, go tag it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would think when i got it insured again that the company would have realized it was salvaged. They said nothing about it. And no one has contacted me about getting a new title. I still have the title sitting in my room.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know about ohio, but here you can insure just about anything. It won't matter until you go to tag it. Thats where you run into problems. Insurance companies will take your money any way they can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts