Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, sorry to cross-post, but it only got 12 views so far in the Yamaha section. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input you could give me.

I currently ride a 'zook rf600, but am looking to upgrade (mainly due to transmission problems). I talked to a guy with an add in the paper for an '03 R1 salvage title, black w/ red flames. It has been mostly fixed (except a small ding in the stock can and small scrape on blinker). It seems that I can get it for $5500 USD, but I'm not sure what fair prices are for bikes in this situation.

Background on the bike was that it was all cosmetic (not flooded or anything), and no mechanical problems. Wasn't wrecked, so no bent frame or the like. ONLY cosmetic.

Is this price reasonable assuming the story he's giving me is correct?

·
Registered
251 Posts
No clue on the price but how do you know that the damage was purely cosmetic? Not sure what $ threshold needs to be crossed to total an 03 R1 but I would suspect it's quite a bit (maybe $7500), likely more than just cosmetic damage could possibly add up to. Just for fun, price out all the plastic, windsheild, blinkers, bar ends and tank and see what it adds up to. I bet it's under $3,000. I bought a new fairing, side panel, belly pan, seat cowl, (all the plastic except one side panel), a alternator cover, blinkers, and some smaller bits for my 9R last year and the total cost was only $1400 The insurance company allowed $600 in labor to fix the bike. This was after a 40 MPH lowside in the rain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to make it clear there is a huge diffrence in a Salvage title and a normal title a salvage title just claim who owns it you cannot get plates on a salvage title you must go visit the dmv for the local law regarding what must be done to change the title and get plates

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
nevermind, just read last post :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts