Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my roommate is looking to buy a bike from this guy in our complex. its a track ready honda, and he says that he doesnt have a title because the frame was salvaged from a junk yard. are salvaged bikes common as race bikes? and how would this effect the cost of the bike?

any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
304 Posts
YES, salvage bikes are common track bikes. Depending on your state rules, In order to get it back to a regular title you have to repair every part that the insurance company said that was damaged. You have to provide receipts to prove this to your local DMV.

Being that it is a track bike, mean it doesn't have a headlight, mirrors, turnsignals and rear break lights. To get it back to street legal you have to put all of those items back on.

How do it effect the value of the bike, because the new owner would have to repair the bike in order to get it back to a regular title.

If the old owner CAN NOT provide you with the insurance company damage sheet and receipts for all the repairs done, that was on the damage sheet. I would past it by and find something else.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he doesnt want to turn it into a street bike. he just wants to maybe take it to the track once or twice and sell it. its not being put back into regular use. he just wants to know how the fact that the bike is a salvage effects the sale value of a track bike.

·
Registered
809 Posts
kranok said:
he doesnt want to turn it into a street bike. he just wants to maybe take it to the track once or twice and sell it. its not being put back into regular use. he just wants to know how the fact that the bike is a salvage effects the sale value of a track bike.
as a street bike the salvage title probably hurts it's value 30-40%.

as a track bike it probably only loses 5-10% of it's value.

as long as nothing's bent you should be in good shape if you can find a track rider to buy it.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the bike is in perfect track condition from what i saw of it. so what would you guys pay for an '02 RC51, full race fairings, CF everything, steel lines, full exhaust, upgraded calipers, rotors, you get the idea.... lightened to about 380lbs wet. extra set of tires, and a set of stands, both front and back. i think he can get it for around 5. any thoughts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
kranok said:
the bike is in perfect track condition from what i saw of it. so what would you guys pay for an '02 RC51, full race fairings, CF everything, steel lines, full exhaust, upgraded calipers, rotors, you get the idea.... lightened to about 380lbs wet. extra set of tires, and a set of stands, both front and back. i think he can get it for around 5. any thoughts?
All depends on the bike's history. If it is a race winner or consistent finisher, maybe. Bear in mind that a track bike depeciates even faster than a street bike due to the abuse they suffer. A track bike with a salvage title is the worst value there is because the only value in the bike is its parts. $5K for a track-only RC51 seems be reasonable. Ask around on the race/track boards (WERA being a good place to start) to get a sense of what a good asking value might be. Spares definitely make such a bike more attractive.

The more thrashed it is, the less it is worth. I've seen track bikes go for a few hundred dollars, handed down through owner after owner and getting more beat up as they do. The more beat up, the more work required to keep it going (especially in the engine).

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
race engine has 8000 on it i beleive. will learn more about the bike today. im gonna go with my roommate to talk to the guy myself. see what i can find out. he wants to sell his track RC51, as above mentioned, and his street RC51, also an '02, in pristine condition, both for an even 10 grand, along with the parts, extras and everything. this guy is a honda certified mechanic in his 50's and is retiring from racing. sounds great to me, but i want to talk to him personally first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
to me, no title means stolen bike. I would check the frame, make sure it has a VIN, and then find a friendly police officer to run the vin, to confirm it isn't a stolen bike. if he wants 10 for two bikes and the other is a prestine street bike, I would think you could probably get away with offering like 3500 or 4K on a track only RC51 with a salvage title

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
Maybe the rules for title'ing a salvaged bike is different from State to State. In Ks, the banks will loan on a salvage title, but it's 80% of WHOLESALE, not retail, and then, to get tags, you have to have the bike inspected by the DMV (Highway Patrol). They just require that you have working headlights, taillights, horn, speedo and that it LOOKS like it's roadworthy (dont take much). Then you get a NEW title that says "previously salvaged". For what you're doing, you're only gonna get a 10/10 guarantee....10 feet from the door or 10 seconds, whichever comes first. After that, you're on your own anyways. Good luck!

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts