Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody I'm new here and I'm looking for my first bike. I've been browsing a few sites and researching my options. I found a 2004 500R with 6k miles and some fairing damage, salvage title.

How much is it worth? I was gonna offer $1000-$1500 cash and see if he takes it. My question is about the title, when I want to trade her in the next year or two, will the dealer take it?

Or what is the typical value of a salveged bike?

Maybe 1/2 book value?

·
Registered
16 Posts
it all depends on why it was salveged, and the person. I wont buy a salveged bike, but i knew some people who's bikes were totalled for insurance then tricked out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You'll need to have it re-certified street legal and it (the bike) issued a Rebuilt Title before hitting the road. I am not sure how the dealer treats a bike with a rebuilt title but I would guess they'll offer alot less trade-in. You'll probably want to sell it - private owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to several of the dealers in my area, none of them will accept a salvaged bike. I'll probably pass on it, unless he'll take next-to-nothing for it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
rookie1 said:
Hi everybody I'm new here and I'm looking for my first bike. I've been browsing a few sites and researching my options. I found a 2004 500R with 6k miles and some fairing damage, salvage title.

How much is it worth? I was gonna offer $1000-$1500 cash and see if he takes it. My question is about the title, when I want to trade her in the next year or two, will the dealer take it?

Or what is the typical value of a salveged bike?

Maybe 1/2 book value?
Sounds like the deal is off, but just in case:

Is the title a rebuilt title, or still salvaged? If it is still salvaged, you probly wont be able to get insurance for it, which is bad :rolleyes

Is the bike in good condition? If it doesn't require much work, then it might be a good deal.

I wouldn't worry about trading it in, you could sell it for more than trade-in value most likely.

I picked up a bike for $400 that was salvaged, but had to put alot of work into it, great experience for me, I could only change the oil at that time, now I do almost everything from carb cleanings, to , well, hopefully valve-train job this winter. I've got the dealer tag on it right now, since i got NO title. I am in the process of getting an "abandoned salvage" title, what a pain in the ass. okay enough of that hope something in here helps :rolleyes

Edit: forgot to add, consider the chop price for the bike. How much is it worth if it was stripped down for parts? That can help, I wouldn't pay more than half what you can get from chopping it, to make up for time spent chopping/selling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts